Velocity Reviews

-   -   Weird Internet Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t532451-weird-internet-problem.html)

Phyllis Steen 08-25-2007 07:17 AM

Weird Internet Problem

I have a problem that apparently nobody else has ever had and when I try to
explain it, it just makes people think I'm making it up or stupid. This
group is my last resort so here goes:

Sometimes random links/urls won't show up for me when someone posts, and
they won't show up even in 3 different browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer,
Netscape). It does this for no reason.

There will just be a big blank space where the link was posted and even when
I go to "view source" (ctrl + U) the url is not there. It's like the
link/url never existed, but everyone else can see it. This happened to me
yesterday and I tried rebooting my computer, shutting down my firewall,
closing and restarting my browser. I evem tried to close down my entire
security system (Norton), but I couldn't figure out how.

Example: Say it was www.google.com that wasn't showing up, and someone
posted "I went to Google and looked it up", with the word Google linking to
the site, I will see "I went to and looked it up". A blank space between
the words "to" and "and". No link and even the word Google wouldn't show
up.

And when I do ctrl+U, and go to where it is supposed to be, it will still
say "I went to and looked it up".

And the thing is, it only happens randomly. This link I can't see is on a
webpage and everything else on the webpage will show up except that.

This time, a webpage link was posted on a message forum and I initially
thought the original poster had left the url out, but when I went to reply
and quoted her post, the url showed up in the text box but not in my post.
It quickly became clear that I am the ONLY person on the forum who can't see
this url. I copied the url out of the text box and pasted it into my
browser and got a blank page. I also figured out that if I remove http AND
www and post the url or post the whole thing as text-only, I can get the url
to show up but it just will not show up in link form, and for absolutely no
reason at all. Also, if I am able to get the actual url and copy and paste
in the browser, I get a completely blank page.

And yesterday on the forum I made actual screen caps of my monitor and
posted them on the forum, with BIG RED ARROWS drawn on them pointing out the
black spaces and where the link was supposed to be and how there was nothing
there and yet the few responses I got were "the link is in so-and-so thread"
and people linking directly to the post saying that I need to look there,
making it clear that they either did not bother reading my post or didn't
understand it. I know where the url is, it just doesn't show up for me no
matter what I do! I actually spelled it out for them with pictures and
narration and they still don't get it!

I also tried e-mailing the url to myself to see if it will show up. It
showed up on my ISP mail (Outlook Express) but not Gmail. And I've tried
posting it on other forums and it doesn't show up there either, but everyone
else can see it.

This is happening more and more, it is driving me crazy, and I'm getting
sick and tired of being treated like an imbecile who doesn't really have a
problem so I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Baer 08-25-2007 07:35 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

Phyllis Steen wrote:

> [...]
> there and yet the few responses I got were "the link is in so-and-so thread"
> and people linking directly to the post saying that I need to look there,
> making it clear that they either did not bother reading my post or didn't
> understand it. I know where the url is, it just doesn't show up for me no
> matter what I do! I actually spelled it out for them with pictures and
> narration and they still don't get it!
>
> I also tried e-mailing the url to myself to see if it will show up. It
> showed up on my ISP mail (Outlook Express) but not Gmail. And I've tried
> posting it on other forums and it doesn't show up there either, but everyone
> else can see it.
>
> This is happening more and more, it is driving me crazy, and I'm getting
> sick and tired of being treated like an imbecile who doesn't really have a
> problem so I hope someone can help me with this.

I have never heard of this problem.
As a side issue, i would *RIP* Norton out of the computer, even if it
kicks and screams! Use AVG or NOD23 instead; more reliable and a lot
less piggie.
Scan the computer for virii and adware and keyloggers; use at least 3
different programs to make dern sure it is clean (when done).

If you get no sane answers, re-post question as OT on the
sci.electronics.design NG.
There are a lot of electronic types (engineers and techs) that are
very knowledgeable in computer flim-flam and someone might have a
useable answer.

Paul 08-25-2007 08:04 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

Phyllis Steen wrote:
> [...]
> there and yet the few responses I got were "the link is in so-and-so thread"
> and people linking directly to the post saying that I need to look there,
> making it clear that they either did not bother reading my post or didn't
> understand it. I know where the url is, it just doesn't show up for me no
> matter what I do! I actually spelled it out for them with pictures and
> narration and they still don't get it!
>
> I also tried e-mailing the url to myself to see if it will show up. It
> showed up on my ISP mail (Outlook Express) but not Gmail. And I've tried
> posting it on other forums and it doesn't show up there either, but everyone
> else can see it.
>
> This is happening more and more, it is driving me crazy, and I'm getting
> sick and tired of being treated like an imbecile who doesn't really have a
> problem so I hope someone can help me with this.

StopBadware or SiteAdvisor ? Or a variant ?
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...ware_site.html

It sounds like some kind of software is active, which is filtering out
sites for some reason. I tried a search, but cannot find a product that
matches your symptoms. SiteAdvisor uses colored links. Maybe there is
an option in Norton to do something like it.

Another option is some kind of parental control software.

Another possibility, is some kind of malware. Does it prevent
you from going to security related sites ?

Paul

Phyllis Steen 08-25-2007 11:55 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:faonj3$ch8$1@aioe.org...

> StopBadware or SiteAdvisor ? Or a variant ?
> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...ware_site.html

> It sounds like some kind of software is active, which is filtering out
> sites for some reason. I tried a search, but cannot find a product that
> matches your symptoms. SiteAdvisor uses colored links. Maybe there is
> an option in Norton to do something like it.
>
> Another option is some kind of parental control software.
>
> Another possibility, is some kind of malware. Does it prevent
> you from going to security related sites ?

It isn't the entire site that's being filtered out, only random links. It's
like if you went to Google's home page, and the link for "Advanced Search"
is completely missing, yet "Preferences", "Language Tools", etc. are all
there as usual. Then even if you knew the url and entered it in the
browser, you only got a blank page.

This url that won't work for me is from a webpage. I can access the page
fine. There is literally a list of links on one of the pages, and every
link shows up except that one. It's completely random and without reason.

And I'm the only one who uses this computer, so there is no parental control
software on here.

--
Let the dog out to e-mail me.

Phyllis Steen 08-25-2007 11:58 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@copper.net> wrote in message

> I have never heard of this problem.
> As a side issue, i would *RIP* Norton out of the computer, even if it
> kicks and screams! Use AVG or NOD23 instead; more reliable and a lot less
> piggie.
> Scan the computer for virii and adware and keyloggers; use at least 3
> different programs to make dern sure it is clean (when done).
>
> If you get no sane answers, re-post question as OT on the
> sci.electronics.design NG.
> There are a lot of electronic types (engineers and techs) that are very
> knowledgeable in computer flim-flam and someone might have a useable
> answer.

Thanks. I will check that group out. And I'm planning on getting rid of
Norton anyway.

--
Let the dog out to e-mail me.

. . . . Timothy . . . . . 08-25-2007 02:08 PM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

"Phyllis Steen" <taboo999@hotdogmail.com> wrote in message

> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:faonj3$ch8$1@aioe.org...
>>
>> StopBadware or SiteAdvisor ? Or a variant ?
>> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...ware_site.html

>> It sounds like some kind of software is active, which is filtering out
>> sites for some reason. I tried a search, but cannot find a product that
>> matches your symptoms. SiteAdvisor uses colored links. Maybe there is
>> an option in Norton to do something like it.
>>
>> Another option is some kind of parental control software.
>>
>> Another possibility, is some kind of malware. Does it prevent
>> you from going to security related sites ?

> It isn't the entire site that's being filtered out, only random links.
> It's like if you went to Google's home page, and the link for "Advanced
> Search" is completely missing, yet "Preferences", "Language Tools", etc.
> are all there as usual. Then even if you knew the url and entered it in
> the browser, you only got a blank page.
>
> This url that won't work for me is from a webpage. I can access the page
> fine. There is literally a list of links on one of the pages, and every
> link shows up except that one. It's completely random and without reason.
>
> And I'm the only one who uses this computer, so there is no parental
> control software on here.

I wondered whether it could be anything to do with your Internet Service
Provider? I think AOL censor some sites, I don't know about others.

Tim.

Robert Baer 08-25-2007 06:25 PM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

. . . . Timothy . . . . . wrote:
> "Phyllis Steen" <taboo999@hotdogmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:faonj3$ch8$1@aioe.org...
>>
>>>StopBadware or SiteAdvisor ? Or a variant ?
>>>http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...ware_site.html
>>>
>>>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2054798,00.asp
>>>
>>>It sounds like some kind of software is active, which is filtering out
>>>sites for some reason. I tried a search, but cannot find a product that
>>>matches your symptoms. SiteAdvisor uses colored links. Maybe there is
>>>an option in Norton to do something like it.
>>>
>>>Another option is some kind of parental control software.
>>>
>>>Another possibility, is some kind of malware. Does it prevent
>>>you from going to security related sites ?

>>It isn't the entire site that's being filtered out, only random links.
>>It's like if you went to Google's home page, and the link for "Advanced
>>Search" is completely missing, yet "Preferences", "Language Tools", etc.
>>are all there as usual. Then even if you knew the url and entered it in
>>the browser, you only got a blank page.
>>
>>This url that won't work for me is from a webpage. I can access the page
>>fine. There is literally a list of links on one of the pages, and every
>>link shows up except that one. It's completely random and without reason.
>>
>>And I'm the only one who uses this computer, so there is no parental
>>control software on here.
>>

> I wondered whether it could be anything to do with your Internet Service
> Provider? I think AOL censor some sites, I don't know about others.
>
> Tim.
>

>>--
>>Let the dog out to e-mail me.

Since she indicates that it appears to be random, no ISP does that;
in fact i do not think censoring PER-SE (ie: on a rules-based system) is
happening.
And censoring certainly does *not* blank out a "mention" of a URL.
Definitely something very fishy happening, and (i think) being done
by some kind of malware.

Brian 08-26-2007 12:14 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

I've never heard of that problem before and for it to happen across several
browsers means that it's probably not the site but a setting on your system.
(First guess is Norton) Based on the info you provided I'm guessing this
happens with online e-mail not outlook or outlook express.

Have you tried opening the e-mail on a different computer to see if the
links show up?

Here is a "possible" solutions from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807/en-us

Jimbo 08-27-2007 07:41 AM

Re: Weird Internet Problem

I would first suspect Norton. I used to sell Norton Utilities through out
the '80's and '90's and back then it was the king of all utilities. I no
longer am in the computer business but know many people who are. Almost all
of the independent computer business owners I know are going away from
Norton because of the fact that Norton now can create as many strange issues
as it fixes. I my self had a problem last year with a 5 year old system that
was getting slower and slower over time. I uninstalled Norton Utilities and
now my QuickBooks loads in less then a minute, it used to take up to 4
minutes to load before I uninstalled Norton Utilities.
I would follow the advice of some of the other posts and make sure it is
completely uninstalled.
Another thing I do sometimes is a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click on the process
tab. Then, I do a Google search on the processes that are running. I have
found addware this way that my Spysweeper did not detect.
If you have the original install cd's for all your software, I would save
all your important doc's and then do a fresh install of everything including
the OS. I personally do this about once a year. Only takes about 4 hours
from start to finish and I can usually notice a slight increase in speed.
There are programs out there for just about every thing that claim to
improve the performance of your OS but, the way I see it is, the more
programs you install to keep your system running top notch the more software
you have running to bog down the system and the more crap you have
cluttering up the registry.

Please, let us know what you find out. All to often someone will ask a
question, get a reply and is never heard from again. The people who give
possible fixes usually would like to know if they work, they want to know if
they were helpfull.
So, what ever you try, we really do want to know if it works or not.