Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mulitple Instances of Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t532242-mulitple-instances-of-windows-pictures-and-fax-viewer.html)

Jack Gillis 08-24-2007 04:23 PM

Mulitple Instances of Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer

I often have several GIF files or JPG files on my desktop and would like to
be able to see certain of them opened in separate instances of Windows
Picture and Fax
Viewer. When I open the first one and then the second, third and so on they
appear in the same Picture and Fax Viewer window. I can cycle through them
of course but I really need to have them in view at the same time. Is there
a way to do this?

Thank you.

Mike Easter 08-24-2007 04:39 PM

Re: Mulitple Instances of Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer

Jack Gillis wrote:

> I often have several GIF files or JPG files on my desktop and would
> like to be able to see certain of them opened in separate instances

You can have multiple graphic files opened at the same time if you use
the right kind of graphic viewer.

> of Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer.

There are many applications which will not permit multiple instances of
themselves being opened, such as Outlook Express and others. If you
want to view multiple graphics files, don't be viewing them with an app
which doesn't allow multiple instances of itself being opened.

> When I open the first one and then the second, third and so
> on they appear in the same Picture and Fax Viewer window.

That is exactly the same thing that would happen if you tried to open
multiple .eml or .nws files with OE. There would be only one OE open at
a time.

> I can
> cycle through them of course but I really need to have them in view
> at the same time. Is there a way to do this?

Yes. Use a different viewer. IrfanView will allow multiple instances
of itself. It can view graphics and some fax formats.

--
Mike Easter

why? 08-24-2007 04:41 PM

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:23:27 -0400, Jack Gillis wrote:

>I often have several GIF files or JPG files on my desktop and would like to
>be able to see certain of them opened in separate instances of Windows
>Picture and Fax

You get what you pay for.

>Viewer. When I open the first one and then the second, third and so on they
>appear in the same Picture and Fax Viewer window. I can cycle through them
>of course but I really need to have them in view at the same time. Is there
>a way to do this?

www.google.com , any number of paint / image viewer applications. Quite

Viewing photos on desktop2000 allowed me to do this, but the Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer in XP only ... free Irfanview and open multiple
instances of it. ...
www.tomshardware.com/forum/ 25735-45-viewing-photos-desktop - 31k -
Cached - Similar pages

Multiple instances of Picture and Fax Viewer? - DGStation ...Multiple
instances of Picture and Fax Viewer? microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
http://dgstation.co.nz/showthread.php?t=24309 - 54k - Cached - Similar
pages

Windows Picture and Fax ViewerTalk about Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
.... Is there any method to allow multiple instances of this application?
Thanks. ...
www.velocityreviews.com/forums/
t202781-windows-picture-and-fax-viewer.html - 19k - Cached - Similar
pages

a few freeware like www.irfanview.com

>Thank you.

Me

Jack Gillis 08-24-2007 07:03 PM

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
> Jack Gillis wrote:
>
>> I often have several GIF files or JPG files on my desktop and would
>> like to be able to see certain of them opened in separate instances

> You can have multiple graphic files opened at the same time if you use
> the right kind of graphic viewer.
>
>> of Windows Picture and Fax
>> Viewer.

> There are many applications which will not permit multiple instances of
> themselves being opened, such as Outlook Express and others. If you
> want to view multiple graphics files, don't be viewing them with an app
> which doesn't allow multiple instances of itself being opened.
>
>> When I open the first one and then the second, third and so
>> on they appear in the same Picture and Fax Viewer window.

> That is exactly the same thing that would happen if you tried to open
> multiple .eml or .nws files with OE. There would be only one OE open at
> a time.
>
>> I can
>> cycle through them of course but I really need to have them in view
>> at the same time. Is there a way to do this?

> Yes. Use a different viewer. IrfanView will allow multiple instances
> of itself. It can view graphics and some fax formats.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Thank you.

Jack Gillis 08-24-2007 07:04 PM