Velocity Reviews

-   -   My Documents change default (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t532114-my-documents-change-default.html)

Zap Eagle 08-24-2007 02:31 AM

My Documents change default

I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on that
drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there are
other instances when things always default to my
documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is there
a way to change this behavior so that I can change
this to the (G:) in my case.

Thank You

WhzzKdd 08-24-2007 03:00 AM

Re: My Documents change default

"Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on that
>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
> default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there
> are other instances when things always default to my
> documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is
> there a way to change this behavior so that I can change
> this to the (G:) in my case.
>
> Thank You

Why not change My Documents? Right-click on the folder, select properties.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-24-2007 03:48 AM

Re: My Documents change default

"Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on that
>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
>default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there are
>other instances when things always default to my
>documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is there
>a way to change this behavior so that I can change
>this to the (G:) in my case.

You can do this with TweakUI
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
- My Computer, Special Folders
--

"In my own soul, I feel the terrible pain of this loss. I feel that
God does not want me, that God is not God and that he does

WhzzKdd 08-24-2007 06:39 PM

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on that
>>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
>>default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there
>>are
>>other instances when things always default to my
>>documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is
>>there
>>a way to change this behavior so that I can change
>>this to the (G:) in my case.

> You can do this with TweakUI
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
> - My Computer, Special Folders
>
> "In my own soul, I feel the terrible pain of this loss. I feel that
> God does not want me, that God is not God and that he does
> not really exist." - Mother Teresa http://tinyurl.com/2x8lmy

Interesting quote <g>

Zap Eagle 08-25-2007 03:08 AM

Re: My Documents change default

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on that
>>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
>>default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there
>>are
>>other instances when things always default to my
>>documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is
>>there
>>a way to change this behavior so that I can change
>>this to the (G:) in my case.

> You can do this with TweakUI
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
> - My Computer, Special Folders
> --
>
> "In my own soul, I feel the terrible pain of this loss. I feel that
> God does not want me, that God is not God and that he does
> not really exist." - Mother Teresa http://tinyurl.com/2x8lmy

I had TweakUI on the computer and just didn't drill down deep enough until
you mention
My computer, Special Folders which led me to investigate the drop down list.
I appears to work
for a lot of the programs, but some of them still go to the old. I did not
delete the old, but copied
the directory to the (G:) drive. Do I need to deleted the old directory (My
Documents) and is that
safe do do?
Thanks

WhzzKdd 08-25-2007 03:53 AM

> <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
>> "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on
>>>that
>>>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
>>>default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there
>>>are
>>>other instances when things always default to my
>>>documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is
>>>there
>>>a way to change this behavior so that I can change
>>>this to the (G:) in my case.

>> You can do this with TweakUI
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>> - My Computer, Special Folders

> I had TweakUI on the computer and just didn't drill down deep enough until
> you mention
> My computer, Special Folders which led me to investigate the drop down
> list. I appears to work
> for a lot of the programs, but some of them still go to the old. I did
> not delete the old, but copied
> the directory to the (G:) drive. Do I need to deleted the old directory
> (My Documents) and is that
> safe do do?
> Thanks

Rather than "COPY" the folder to the other drive, you can "MOVE" it there.
Then the program which know how to use "My Documents" as Windows intended
don't even realize it's been moved. Right-click on "My Documents", select
"Properties", then use the Move button. Of course, now that you already
copied it, moving it would create duplicates of everything.

LAH 08-25-2007 10:11 PM

Re: My Documents change default

"Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
>> "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have added a second hard drive which has all my data exclusively on
>>>that
>>>drive (G:). Most of the software I can set the
>>>default directories/drives for opening and saving files. However, there
>>>are
>>>other instances when things always default to my
>>>documents and is a pain to change to the desired directory desire. Is
>>>there
>>>a way to change this behavior so that I can change
>>>this to the (G:) in my case.

>> You can do this with TweakUI
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>> - My Computer, Special Folders
>> --
>>
>> "In my own soul, I feel the terrible pain of this loss. I feel that
>> God does not want me, that God is not God and that he does
>> not really exist." - Mother Teresa http://tinyurl.com/2x8lmy

> I had TweakUI on the computer and just didn't drill down deep enough until
> you mention
> My computer, Special Folders which led me to investigate the drop down
> list. I appears to work
> for a lot of the programs, but some of them still go to the old. I did
> not delete the old, but copied
> the directory to the (G:) drive. Do I need to deleted the old directory
> (My Documents) and is that
> safe do do?
> Thanks

Here's an alternative I use for pictures. It might work for use in My
Documents. I created a folder, called "Picture Archive", for storing old
pictures on my second drive. I also created a shortcut to it in "My
Pictures" which is still on the original drive. New pictures from my camera
are still downloaded as usual. As I accumulate more recent ones and no
longer access them as often I simply drag and drop the pictures (I usually
have them sorted in folders according to subject or date) into the "Picture
Archive" located on the second drive. If I'm trying to locate a picture and
can't find it in "My Pictures", it is very easy to just click on the
shortcut located in "My Pictures" and immediately I'm in the "Picture
Archive".

Just an idea.

DogBrain 08-26-2007 01:38 PM

LAH wrote:
> "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

Point (my dokuments) to G.\
open explorer> rightclick on my dokument > properties and change the path to
"G.\My Dokuments" or what name you want.
And have the rest personal folders inside that folder.