Velocity Reviews

-   -   Updating (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531594-updating.html)

rfdjr1@optonline.net 08-22-2007 12:49 AM

Updating

Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and listed
what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there anything
like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-22-2007 01:21 AM

Re: Updating

rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote:

>Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and listed
>what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there anything
>like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

BigFix might be what your looking for.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)

BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
asking.
--

Photo taken With and Without Flash
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1...37a9950nf3.jpg

Richard 08-22-2007 09:15 AM

Re: Updating

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote:
>
>>Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and
>>listed
>>what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there
>>anything
>>like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

> BigFix might be what your looking for.
> http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
> file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)
>
> BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
> asking.

There will be no more updates for BigFix Free Consumer Edition from the end
of this month.

http://help.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=9

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-22-2007 08:28 PM

Re: Updating

"Richard" <rlmccann@hotmail.com> wrote:

><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
>news:qi3nc35g1up95v8qqhjot30ic1dtu3s479@4ax.com.. .
>> rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote:
>>
>>>Used to be a program/service called CatchUp, which scanned the system and
>>>listed
>>>what updates were software and driver updates were available. Is there
>>>anything
>>>like that out there nowadays to make it easier updating? Thanks.

>> BigFix might be what your looking for.
>> http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 (not sure if this is really the
>> file) or if you have to subscribe. (google it)
>>
>> BigFix was installed on my gateway system, to do just what your
>> asking.

>There will be no more updates for BigFix Free Consumer Edition from the end
>of this month.
>
>http://help.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=9

I never knew. I like to maintain a semblance of control over my OS :)

One way is to know what is being installed or updated, I disabled
BigFix the first day.

Free Consumer Edition is being discontinued. My Bigfix was installed
by Gateway and I'm pretty sure they had a contract with them so BigFix
should still work on those machines.

It was a try.
--

The secret history of the Nazi mascot