Velocity Reviews

-   -   No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531571-no-internet-connection-between-router-and-modem.html)

danisgod@gmail.com 08-21-2007 10:50 PM

No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

Hello,

No Internet Dilemma!

Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
with his new home networking setup.
All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
modem.

So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OUTER&doy=21m8

So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
wasnt picking
up an internet connection from it cable modem.

Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

Hope to hear from you all soon

Thanks, Dan

doS 08-21-2007 11:13 PM

Re: No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

try connecting the modem directly to the laptop

news:1187736610.869160.302280@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...

danisgod@gmail.com 08-21-2007 11:18 PM

On 22 Aug, 00:13, "doS" <kob...@nothotsomail.com> wrote:
> try connecting the modem directly to the laptop
>
> <danis...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1187736610.869160.302280@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
>
> > Hello,

> > No Internet Dilemma!

> > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
> > with his new home networking setup.
> > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
> > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
> > modem.

> > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

> > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
> > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
> >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...aplin&U=Search...

> > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
> > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
> > wasnt picking
> > up an internet connection from it cable modem.

> > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

> > Hope to hear from you all soon

> > Thanks, Dan

Ive tried that, the modem works perfectly

doS 08-22-2007 12:57 AM

Re: No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

then the router is bad...

news:1187738320.425445.20190@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com...

Jess Pezy 08-22-2007 03:43 AM

On Aug 21, 4:18 pm, danis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 22 Aug, 00:13, "doS" <kob...@nothotsomail.com> wrote:
>

> > try connecting the modem directly to the laptop

> > <danis...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >news:1187736610.869160.302280@e9g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...

> > > Hello,

> > > No Internet Dilemma!

> > > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
> > > with his new home networking setup.
> > > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
> > > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
> > > modem.

> > > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

> > > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
> > > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
> > >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...aplin&U=Search...

> > > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
> > > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
> > > wasnt picking
> > > up an internet connection from it cable modem.

> > > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

> > > Hope to hear from you all soon

> > > Thanks, Dan

> Ive tried that, the modem works perfectly

Whos your ISP?? Depending on the ISP some providers have special
configurations that have to be done so the modem can pass the IP
configuration to the router. For example when i had adelphia, they had
a special configuration where i had to clone the MAC address of the
modem into the router in order to obtain an internet connection. Try
contacting your ISP to find out if the modem is acting like a router,
if so ask them how to turn the modem into a bridge and let the router
be the router.

Top 08-22-2007 03:52 AM

danisgod@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> No Internet Dilemma!
>
> Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
> with his new home networking setup.
> All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
> wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
> modem.
>
> So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
>
> Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
> Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OUTER&doy=21m8
>
> So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
> Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
> wasnt picking
> up an internet connection from it cable modem.
>
> Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...
>
> Hope to hear from you all soon
>
> Thanks, Dan

Don't know how yours goes but here's my setup: Cable from cable modem to
router, cable from router to desktop, wireless to other computer.
Desktop is Vista and other computer is setup with XP PRO SP2. Works well
for my uses here. Hope you get yours sorted.

Top

Eugene Maes 08-22-2007 06:00 AM

Re: No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

It maybe as simply as your router using the same ip address as your isp. I
had this problem with a friend linksys router. By default it uses
198.162.1.1 which cause a conflicted. On your desktop computer choose the
run option from the start menu and type ipconfig and make up the computer is
connected directly to the modem. Write down the response, then connect the
desktop to the router and follow the same procedure. If the router is using
the same ip address, you will need to change the router's ip address and the
manufacturer can assist you.

gene

why? 08-22-2007 09:19 AM

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, danisgod@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>No Internet Dilemma!
>
>Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
>with his new home networking setup.
>All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
>wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
>modem.
>
>So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
>
>Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
>Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OUTER&doy=21m8

Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
faq and azure manuals.

http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp

You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.

Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
router.

>So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
>Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
setup and Internet access worked 1st time.

>wasnt picking
>up an internet connection from it cable modem.

Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.

>Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
link LED lit and maybe traffic.

>Hope to hear from you all soon
>
>Thanks, Dan

Me

danisgod@gmail.com 08-22-2007 10:57 AM

On Aug 22, 10:19 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, danis...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hello,

> >No Internet Dilemma!

> >Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
> >with his new home networking setup.
> >All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
> >wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
> >modem.

> >So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

> >Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
> >Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
> >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...aplin&U=Search...

> Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
> the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
> faq and azure manuals.
>
> http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp
>
> You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.
>
> Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
> router.
>
> >So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
> >Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

> Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
> setup and Internet access worked 1st time.
>
> >wasnt picking
> >up an internet connection from it cable modem.

> Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.
>
> >Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

> Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
> link LED lit and maybe traffic.
>
> >Hope to hear from you all soon

> >Thanks, Dan

> Me

Thanks for your response.

The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.
We did manage to get into the Routers Setup Page on 192.168.0.1 and
everything was within the setup menus.

I have considered a number of things since last night on what the
matter could be

1. Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet
via only your MAC address.
2. MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work
when I tried lastnight

why? 08-22-2007 01:56 PM

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:57:24 -0700, danisgod@gmail.com wrote:

>On Aug 22, 10:19 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, danis...@gmail.com wrote:
>> >Hello,

>> >No Internet Dilemma!

>> >Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
>> >with his new home networking setup.
>> >All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
>> >wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
>> >modem.

>> >So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

>> >Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
>> >Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
>> >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...aplin&U=Search...

>> Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
>> the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
>> faq and azure manuals.
>>
>> http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp
>>
>> You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.
>>
>> Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
>> router.
>>
>> >So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
>> >Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

>> Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
>> setup and Internet access worked 1st time.
>>
>> >wasnt picking
>> >up an internet connection from it cable modem.

>> Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.
>>
>> >Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

>> Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
>> link LED lit and maybe traffic.
>>
>> >Hope to hear from you all soon

>> >Thanks, Dan

>> Me

>Thanks for your response.
>
>The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.
>We did manage to get into the Routers Setup Page on 192.168.0.1 and
>everything was within the setup menus.

So did it display blanks for the ISP obtained settings?

If there is a setting to give the router a name, then enter something.
My very old Netgear RT314 is link01 and the old belkin is link02. I
don't know if that's a requirement still naving never removed the names.
It didn't work if not set.

>I have considered a number of things since last night on what the
>matter could be

If you do

PC-modem and it works fine. Then when you setup PC-router-modem you need
to reboot the modem, remove power for a few seconds.

If you remove the router, power cycle the modem.

>1. Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet
>via only your MAC address.

Mot any more, TW/BY stopped that years ago. The MAC of the CM is the
registered device.

>2. MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work
>when I tried lastnight

Don't go there, oops too late. Besides it's not needed.

Me