Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can two different computers have the same IP address? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531503-can-two-different-computers-have-the-same-ip-address.html)

Clueless in Seattle 08-21-2007 05:30 PM

Can two different computers have the same IP address?

A while back I joined an old-fashioned computer BBS for old times'
sake (back in my CP/M days, before the advent of the web, BBSs were
all we had. So upon learning that there was an active BBS that I
could telnet into I thought it would be fun).

Well, it has been anything but fun.

Almost as soon as I started posting messages I started getting
viciously flamed by a fellow who is claiming that my IP address is
identical to the IP address belonging to someone else who posts to
the board. Apparently these two gusy have a long standing feud and
now I'm being accused by one of them of being his old nemesis logging
in under a different name.

I don't understand anything about IP addresses and how they are
assigned, but I thought that they were supposed to be unique
identifiers.

So is it even remotely possible that somehow my computer and another
computer miles away from me could both have the same IP address?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

P.S. I know! The simplest and easiest solution to this problem would
be to just abandon the BBS and never log in there again. I mean, why
would I want to log into a BBS where I'm the target of rude and
abusive postings, right? But, this fellow's claim that may computer
shares an IP address with another computer not connected to mine in
any way that I can conceive of has piqued my curiosity, so I'm
wondering if such a thing could even be possible, no matter how
improbable.

Mike Easter 08-21-2007 05:54 PM

Re: Can two different computers have the same IP address?

Clueless in Seattle wrote:

> Almost as soon as I started posting messages I started getting
> viciously flamed by a fellow who is claiming that my IP address is
> identical to the IP address belonging to someone else who posts to
> the board. Apparently these two gusy have a long standing feud and
> now I'm being accused by one of them of being his old nemesis logging
> in under a different name.

All things considered, fundamentally the most likely thing is that
either your flamer is confused or that someone else accessed by the same
dialup modem access provider as you. See below.

> I don't understand anything about IP addresses and how they are
> assigned, but I thought that they were supposed to be unique
> identifiers.

If you access the telnet via a dialup connectivity provider's modem, you
could access with the same IP as someone else who used that dialup. See
below

If you had a home local network, you could have the same IP as someone
else on your network.

You are connecting to GG via a free dialup provider
http://www.nocharge.com/ which has 36 telnos in 5 area codes in western
WA and which your current connectivity indicates the netblock provider
to be US Network Services

> So is it even remotely possible that somehow my computer and another
> computer miles away from me could both have the same IP address?

Not your computer. When you dialup on your telephone modem you reach a
connectivity provider which is the IP the google webserver sees and
which is the IP the telnet BBS sees. That could be the same
connectivity that someone else uses.

--
Mike Easter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 08-21-2007 06:01 PM

Clueless in Seattle wrote:
> A while back I joined an old-fashioned computer BBS for old times'
> sake (back in my CP/M days, before the advent of the web, BBSs were
> all we had. So upon learning that there was an active BBS that I
> could telnet into I thought it would be fun).
>
> Well, it has been anything but fun.
>
> Almost as soon as I started posting messages I started getting
> viciously flamed by a fellow who is claiming that my IP address is
> identical to the IP address belonging to someone else who posts to
> the board. Apparently these two gusy have a long standing feud and
> now I'm being accused by one of them of being his old nemesis logging
> in under a different name.
>
> I don't understand anything about IP addresses and how they are
> assigned, but I thought that they were supposed to be unique
> identifiers.
>
> So is it even remotely possible that somehow my computer and another
> computer miles away from me could both have the same IP address?
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"
>
> P.S. I know! The simplest and easiest solution to this problem would
> be to just abandon the BBS and never log in there again. I mean, why
> would I want to log into a BBS where I'm the target of rude and
> abusive postings, right? But, this fellow's claim that may computer
> shares an IP address with another computer not connected to mine in
> any way that I can conceive of has piqued my curiosity, so I'm
> wondering if such a thing could even be possible, no matter how
> improbable.

Most people show an IP address based on what their internet provider
"hands out" to them, taken from a pool of addresses available to the
ISP. You seem to be using a service called nocharge.com and posting from
the Seattle area. This may be way off. But it's entirely possible that
you have assigned to you temporarily a number that was used by someone
else to post. But since you mention "improbable", the probability of you
getting the same number as some old antagonist as your IP assignment and
then you logging into the same BBS under that number and being spotted
would be astronomical in my opinion. It would seem more likely you are
lying to us right now and are simply trying to be someone you're not to
some git you're having an argument with.

Whiskers 08-21-2007 06:04 PM

On 2007-08-21, Clueless in Seattle <spamless.in.seattle.redux@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> So is it even remotely possible that somehow my computer and another
> computer miles away from me could both have the same IP address?

[...]

The short answer is 'yes, but not at the same time'.

The IP number you're talking about is the 'internet address' of your
internet connection. If your ISP provides you with a 'dynamic IP', you
may well get a different IP number each time you log on to the internet -
and meanwhile, other customers of your ISP may be allocated the number you
previously had.

In the longer term, whether you have a dynamic IP or not, when you change
ISP you will get a new IP number, from one of the 'blocks' 'owned' by the
new ISP, and someone else will get the IP number you had from your old
ISP.

If an ISP gives up some of the blocks of IP numbers it was allocated, or
if it stops trading completely, then those numbers will be available for
other businesses, including other ISPs.

So you could indeed 'inherit' an IP number from someone else who had it
before, and two customers of the same ISP might easily find themselves
sometimes getting an IP number recently used by the other.

If your ISP is a 'reseller' of internet services provided by a wholesaler,
you may find that the block of IP numbers from which you get yours, is
shared by more than one 'reseller' ISP.

IP number alone is not sufficient to identify 'the same person', all it
does is indicate a possibility.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Leythos 08-21-2007 06:13 PM

Re: Can two different computers have the same IP address?

In article <1187717433.582023.109490@57g2000hsv.googlegroups. com>,
spamless.in.seattle.redux@gmail.com says...
> So is it even remotely possible that somehow my computer and another
> computer miles away from me could both have the same IP address?

Most IP addresses, Public Ones, are provided to ISP's in blocks. Those
blocks are allocated by the ISP as needed, some a re static ranges, some
are dynamic. If you share the same ISP as anyone else, given enough
time, based on the number of IP they have available you could easily get
the same IP (at a different time) as anyone else on the ISP's same
network.

This was very common on Dial-Up networks, where the ISP's had 1 IP for
every 10-30 users that subscribed.

Today, with IP's even more in demand all over the world, if you leave
your computer disconnected for (normally 12 hours to 7 days), depending
on the ISP's lease settings (normally 1 day), you will get a different
IP than you had the period before.

If you and the person in question are using different ISP's then it's
very unlikely that you have the same IP as the person once had.

--
Leythos - spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 to email me)

Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS1.COM that
create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a look
at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
http://forums.speedguide.net/archive.../t-223485.html all exposed
'exposed to kids'.

Clueless in Seattle 08-21-2007 06:33 PM

On Aug 21, 11:01 am, Rgr <ab...@your.isp.com> wrote:

> It would seem more likely you are
> lying to us right now and are simply trying to be someone you're not to
> some git you're having an argument with.

Up to now I'd always found this newsgroup to be an island of civility
and helpfulness in an electronic sea increasingly polluted by the
excrement of boorish louts.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is that if you drop your hook
into the sea often enough, odds are that one of these days you'll
eventually snag a turd instead of a catching a fish.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 08-21-2007 06:40 PM

Clueless in Seattle wrote:
> On Aug 21, 11:01 am, Rgr <ab...@your.isp.com> wrote:
>
>> It would seem more likely you are
>> lying to us right now and are simply trying to be someone you're not to
>> some git you're having an argument with.

> Up to now I'd always found this newsgroup to be an island of civility
> and helpfulness in an electronic sea increasingly polluted by the
> excrement of boorish louts.
>
> I guess the lesson to be learned here is that if you drop your hook
> into the sea often enough, odds are that one of these days you'll
> eventually snag a turd instead of a catching a fish.

Yes, that's true. And if you try to pretend to be someone you're not and
get caught with your pants down, well, there you are with your pants
down. You want/expect others to believe in the outlandishly
impossibility that you logged in to your ISP, got the same dynamic IP
address as someone embroiled in an argument, and then logged into the
same BBS that they frequent? I'd say your pants are down.

Clueless in Seattle 08-21-2007 06:54 PM

On Aug 21, 10:54 am, "Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:

> All things considered, fundamentally the most likely thing is that
> either your flamer is confused or that someone else accessed by the same
> dialup modem access provider as you.

OK, so it's not my computer, but my ISP that is identified by the IP
address, right?

So, then, if I understand what you've told me, it is possible for
this other fellow to have posted messages to the BBS , and have them
tagged with the same IP address.

Here's why:

The other guy lives in my same area code, so he could have used
NoCharge.com to dial-up and telnet in to the BBS. I don't think
that's very likely, because I know that he uses I high speed
connection that he gets from the phone company or his cable provider,
I forget which. But, it is possible, that for some reason, he
decided to use NoCharge.com to connect to the BBS.

I just emailed him to find out if he's ever used NoCharge.com, but
don't have an answer yet. So, let's just assume for the moment that
he did use NoCharge.com. That would greatly reduce the odds against
his having the same ISP as me, right?

But, given that NoCharge.com has about 15 or 20 different dial-up
phone numbers in the Seattle area, what are the odds that he would end
up with the same IP address everytime he connects to the BBS? And the
same for me, what are the odds that I would end up with the same IP
every time I called the BBS. And then, what would be the odds that
the two of us would have the same IP address everytime either of us
called the BBS. It would still be pretty slims odds, wouldn't it?

But still, within the realm of the possible? Sort of like the odds
that would pick the right Lotto numbers or something?

Mike Easter 08-21-2007 07:24 PM

Clueless in Seattle wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> All things considered, fundamentally the most likely thing is that
>> either your flamer is confused or that someone else accessed by the
>> same dialup modem access provider as you.

> OK, so it's not my computer, but my ISP that is identified by the IP
> address, right?

Not exactly. The issue is the 'connectivity' provider. It is very very
common for some ISP to 'buy' the connectivity for their subscribers from
someone else. For example, EarthLink buys its cable modem connectivity
in my area from TimeWarnerCable, which is also the entity that provides
cable connectivity to RoadRunner and AOL. EL also buys its dialup
connectivity from level3, which level3 sells dialup connectivity to
others besides EL.

In your case, it appears that your nocharge.com ISP may not be buying
telephone connectivity from other providers in the same way that EL buys
its connectivity from other providers -- but I don't know for sure. The
netblock for your IP belongs to US Network Services but it resolves to
nocharge. It isn't always easy to tell who has a deal with who to
provide what.

> So, then, if I understand what you've told me, it is possible for
> this other fellow to have posted messages to the BBS , and have them
> tagged with the same IP address.

It is possible, but that seems to me to be an unlikely coincidence. If
you were dialing a local BBS in the old fashioned telephone way, then
everyone who is accessig the BBS is likely to be from the same
geographic area to save telco toll charges, in the old days. But now
that BBSes are telnet, then the participants come from all over the
world -- so the likelihood that two different telnetters to the BBS
dialed up the same access connectivity is thin. But it is possible,
especially if your flamer 'exaggerated' and simply mean that your IP was
in the same netblock as someone else's IP at some other time.

> Here's why:
>
> The other guy lives in my same area code, so he could have used
> NoCharge.com to dial-up and telnet in to the BBS. I don't think
> that's very likely, because I know that he uses I high speed
> connection that he gets from the phone company or his cable provider,
> I forget which.

Well then, if he's in the same area code, that changes the odds all over
the place.

>But, it is possible, that for some reason, he
> decided to use NoCharge.com to connect to the BBS.

If he's going to be a troublemaker, he gets a lot of anonymity by using
a free dialup. He doesn't have to disclose any meatspace identity when
he uses a free service, because he doesn't have to pay with anything --
and when he uses a dialup he's not using a connectivity provider which
can be 'attached' to him like his own broadband provider.

> I just emailed him to find out if he's ever used NoCharge.com, but
> don't have an answer yet. So, let's just assume for the moment that
> he did use NoCharge.com. That would greatly reduce the odds against
> his having the same ISP as me, right?

If he used the same area code nocharge dialup as you, that would make
his IP address either the same or likely almost the same.

> But, given that NoCharge.com has about 15 or 20 different dial-up
> phone numbers in the Seattle area, what are the odds that he would end
> up with the same IP address everytime he connects to the BBS?

Most people use the same dialup telno; and when I looked, nocharge only
showed me 4 telnos in Seattle.

> But still, within the realm of the possible?

What you are now describing is more likely than not; much much more
than 'possible'.

--
Mike Easter

Vanguard 08-21-2007 07:26 PM

"Clueless in Seattle" wrote in message
news:1187717433.582023.109490@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
> A while back I joined an old-fashioned computer BBS for old times'
> sake (back in my CP/M days, before the advent of the web, BBSs were
> all we had. So upon learning that there was an active BBS that I
> could telnet into I thought it would be fun).
>
> Well, it has been anything but fun.
>
> Almost as soon as I started posting messages I started getting
> viciously flamed by a fellow who is claiming that my IP address is
> identical to the IP address belonging to someone else who posts to
> the board. Apparently these two gusy have a long standing feud
> and
> now I'm being accused by one of them of being his old nemesis
> logging
> in under a different name.

<snip>

Tell the flamer that his is a ****ing idiot (use whatever terms you
prefer). He is a boob that hasn't a clue how DHCP works and that all
users (dial-up, DSL, cable, satellite) get dynamically assigned IP
addresses so they never "own" any of them. The exception is if a user
pays extra to get a static IP address but then you won't get that same
IP address.

Apparently this "forum" has no moderation. If it does, report the
flamer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp