Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please help with floating divs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531490-please-help-with-floating-divs.html)

hithrustkick@gmail.com 08-21-2007 04:45 PM

Please help with floating divs

Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:

http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlig...site/index.php

Thanks!

Jonathan N. Little 08-21-2007 04:58 PM

Re: Please help with floating divs

hithrustkick@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
> left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
> anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:
>
> http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlig...site/index.php
>
> Thanks!

class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
*below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

hithrustkick@gmail.com 08-21-2007 05:21 PM

Re: Please help with floating divs

On Aug 21, 12:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
wrote:
> hithrustk...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
> > left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
> > anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:

> >http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlig...site/index.php

> > Thanks!

> class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
> *below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

That div is a separate div from the content area div, and I was
wanting that one to go under the navbar, so that there would be a
space between the footer. Removing that div did fix the problem with
the left navbar pushing the content down, but now my margins are
broken, and I'm not sure that was root of the problem, though it does
look to be something with clearing. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

hithrustkick@gmail.com 08-21-2007 05:25 PM

Re: Please help with floating divs

Oh, oops. You meant the other class=flush divs. Taking those out
solved the problem. Thanks a ton!

Jonathan N. Little 08-21-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Please help with floating divs

hithrustkick@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 21, 12:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
> wrote:
>> hithrustk...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi my website uses two divs for the navigation and the main body. The
>>> left div pushes the content in the right div down below itself. Does
>>> anyone know why? Nothing I try seems to help. Here is a link:
>>> http://www.detectivedavid.com/newlig...site/index.php
>>> Thanks!

>> class 'flush' has clear:both clears the floated navbar so will move
>> *below* #navbar... This is correct behavior correct clear property.

<snip signatures>

> That div is a separate div from the content area div, and I was
> wanting that one to go under the navbar, so that there would be a
> space between the footer. Removing that div did fix the problem with
> the left navbar pushing the content down, but now my margins are
> broken, and I'm not sure that was root of the problem, though it does
> look to be something with clearing. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Does not matter, a 'clear' clears *all* floated elements the precede the
clearing element regardless if it is a direct decedent or not.

Float your little pics to the right but for the paragraphs only
*clear: right* not *both* so not to effect the navbar.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little 08-22-2007 03:15 PM

Re: Please help with floating divs

hithrustkick@gmail.com wrote:
> Oh, oops. You meant the other class=flush divs. Taking those out
> solved the problem. Thanks a ton!

GG strikes again! How to screw up a post on so many levels...

--
Take care,

Jonathan