Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer Forensics (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531485-computer-forensics.html)

johndgist@gmail.com 08-21-2007 04:14 PM

Computer Forensics

Hello!

I have a few questions and I hope that this post is to the appropriate
group. In not, a point in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

I am a web/graphic designer who is curious about what types of
information can be extracted from images that are uploaded to the
internet or passed around via ftp and/or email.

I currently am employed at www.rokkan.com. We have done several game/
puzzle type sites, most notably the site for The Da Vinci Code video
game (http://www.2kgames.com/davincicode/unlockthecode.html) where the
visitors to the site had to complete a puzzle with clues found all
over the internet and hidden within audio and video clips.
I am interested in learning more about information contained in the
actual image file. Not so much using Steganography, but I would call
it forensics. As if a true law enforcement official would looking at
it.

We are toying around the idea of creating a "digital detective"
experience and would like to make it as true to life as possible. If
I uploaded a .JPG or .GIF image that had been created in Photoshop
what type of information could be distracted? Could information like:

Date
Time
Region
Version of photshop created
Name of the person whom photoshop is registered to
Photoshop serial number
The name of the computer user/profile/account who ran the Photoshop
program
IP address
Computer name
Name of the network

be extracted from the image? Is that even possible? Are there other
types or more information that I did not list?
Thank you all for you help and your experience!

- John

Todd H. 08-21-2007 08:17 PM

Re: Computer Forensics

"johndgist@gmail.com" <johndgist@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have a few questions and I hope that this post is to the appropriate
> group. In not, a point in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I am a web/graphic designer who is curious about what types of
> information can be extracted from images that are uploaded to the
> internet or passed around via ftp and/or email.
>
> I currently am employed at www.rokkan.com. We have done several game/
> puzzle type sites, most notably the site for The Da Vinci Code video
> game (http://www.2kgames.com/davincicode/unlockthecode.html) where the
> visitors to the site had to complete a puzzle with clues found all
> over the internet and hidden within audio and video clips.
> I am interested in learning more about information contained in the
> actual image file. Not so much using Steganography, but I would call
> it forensics. As if a true law enforcement official would looking at
> it.
>
> We are toying around the idea of creating a "digital detective"
> experience and would like to make it as true to life as possible. If
> I uploaded a .JPG or .GIF image that had been created in Photoshop
> what type of information could be distracted? Could information like:
>
> Date
> Time
> Region
> Version of photshop created
> Name of the person whom photoshop is registered to
> Photoshop serial number
> The name of the computer user/profile/account who ran the Photoshop
> program
> IP address
> Computer name
> Name of the network
>
> be extracted from the image? Is that even possible? Are there other
> types or more information that I did not list?
> Thank you all for you help and your experience!
>
> - John

I don't have time or focused expertise in JPG format and Photoshop's
implementation of it to answer allyour questions but you may also want
to learn what steganography is all about and incorporate that into
your project.

date time and a bunch of camera parameters are part of many jpg's as
they come off the camera. EXIF is the standard there. Google up
JPG EXIF for more.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/