Velocity Reviews

-   -   NISTime and Vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531113-nistime-and-vista.html)

Jeff Wisnia 08-20-2007 07:18 PM

NISTime and Vista

Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and
then enter it through Vista's date/time window.

Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

why? 08-20-2007 07:47 PM

Re: NISTime and Vista

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:18:48 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
>computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
>that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
>does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and
>then enter it through Vista's date/time window.

NISTime32 doesn't have the permissions to set the time. or the account
you logon with doesn't.

You haven't disabled the W32Time service, I find I have to do that on
every PC to use the sync app I prefer.

>Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another

Have you look at the NIST site, you would then know
http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm
All I saw was Win95 and higher 32/64bit.

See if there is a forum / support mailing list, most likely someone will
have made a fix for Vista if needed.

>utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?

There are dozens of freeware time sync apps. Links fairly oftem posted
in 24HSHD,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

Or www.google.com

freeware time sync

>Thanks guys,
>
>Jeff

Me

Mr. Arnold 08-20-2007 08:19 PM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"Jeff Wisnia" <jwisnia@conversent.net> wrote in message
> Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
> computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
> that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
> does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and then
> enter it through Vista's date/time window.
>
> Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
> utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?

There may be a couple that may be of interest to you.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ycw34

DanR 08-20-2007 10:08 PM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"Jeff Wisnia" <jwisnia@conversent.net> wrote in message
> Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
> computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
> that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
> does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and then
> enter it through Vista's date/time window.
>
> Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
> utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff
> --
> Jeffry Wisnia
> (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
> The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.>

NISTime is built into Vista.
Click the time in tray.
Click "Change day and time settings".
Click "Internet Time" tab.
Click "Change settings".
Make sure "Synchronize with an Internet time server" is checked.
Choose "time.nist.gov" from the drop down field.

There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
work.
My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
clock I have. (WWV)

Mitch 08-21-2007 12:20 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

In article <vhoyi.1231$vU4.1171@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>, DanR
<dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote:

> NISTime is built into Vista.

No -- you're kidding, right?
You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
the change to system time, right?

> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
> work.

Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
> clock I have. (WWV)

Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

Mr. Arnold 08-21-2007 01:19 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message
> In article <vhoyi.1231$vU4.1171@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>, DanR
> <dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote:
>
>> NISTime is built into Vista.

> No -- you're kidding, right?
> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
> the change to system time, right?

I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync servers.

>> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
>> work.

> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked on
everyone.

>> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
>> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
>> clock I have. (WWV)

> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers selected.

Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.

DanR 08-21-2007 01:41 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message
> In article <vhoyi.1231$vU4.1171@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>, DanR
> <dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote:
>
>> NISTime is built into Vista.

> No -- you're kidding, right?
> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
> the change to system time, right?
>
>> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
>> work.

> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?
>
>> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
>> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
>> clock I have. (WWV)

> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

Mitch, I just read your post 4 times and for the life of me I don't get your
point.

DanR 08-21-2007 01:47 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> "Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message
>> In article <vhoyi.1231$vU4.1171@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>, DanR
>> <dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> NISTime is built into Vista.

>> No -- you're kidding, right?
>> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
>> the change to system time, right?

> I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
> using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync
> servers.
>

>>> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
>>> work.

>> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
>> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

> I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked
> on everyone.
>

>>> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
>>> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
>>> clock I have. (WWV)

>> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

> It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers
> selected.
>
> Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.

My point was that I didn't want the OP to give up on the Vista time sync if
it happened to fail the first time he tried a manual update. Looking more
closely it seems to update at boot up. I haven't been to the time sync setup
page for months and just rely on it keep the time. And it does.

Mr. Arnold 08-21-2007 02:44 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote in message
news:wuryi.6216$924.5622@newssvr23.news.prodigy.ne t...

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message

>>> No -- you're kidding, right?
>>> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
>>> the change to system time, right?

>> I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
>> using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync
>> servers.

>>> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
>>> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

>> I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked
>> on everyone.

>>> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

>> It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers
>> selected.
>>
>> Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.
>>

> My point was that I didn't want the OP to give up on the Vista time sync
> if it happened to fail the first time he tried a manual update. Looking
> more closely it seems to update at boot up. I haven't been to the time
> sync setup page for months and just rely on it keep the time. And it does.

Mine was pointed to the MS site. It always keeps the correct time. I think
it will do the same on the site that is now selected, which is the last one
in the list its on now.

The much to do about *nothing* was about the other poster's points, which
were worthless.
..

Mitch 08-21-2007 03:01 AM

Re: NISTime and Vista

In article <7pryi.6214$924.4896@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net> , DanR
<dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote:

> >> NISTime is built into Vista.

> > No -- you're kidding, right?
> > You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
> > the change to system time, right?
> >
> >> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
> >> work.

> > Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
> > Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?
> >
> >> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
> >> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
> >> clock I have. (WWV)

> > Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

> Mitch, I just read your post 4 times and for the life of me I don't get your
> point.

Okay; three points:

First, I don't think the NISTime program is not rolled into Vista. I
think Vista was just programmed with the protocol from scratch.
Since the inquiry was about whether NISTime (a program) worked under
Vista, it's an important distinction.

Second, I was surprised such a simple protocol would fail. That
WinVista failed to do it suggests a serious problem. It should be
unacceptable for someone to find that WinVista cannot update time
frequently.

Third, if the system fails to correct its time, then it should not be
keeping correct time. But the last example claims that the computer
time is more accurate than a clock setting itself (presumably) to the
atomic clock radio signal. That's a logical conflict, and I wondered if
there was any problem with the computer clock at all.
That is, if the computer is keeping good time, then why try to correct
the time with a weekly time check?