Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewall question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t531029-firewall-question.html)

english_dude@london.com 08-20-2007 06:08 PM

Firewall question

I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
(which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
throughout..

Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.

Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
intrusions get through my firewalls ?

TIA

Mike Easter 08-20-2007 06:23 PM

Re: Firewall question

english_dude@london.com wrote:
> I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
> throughout..
>
> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
>
> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
> intrusions get through my firewalls ?

It seems to me that either you have too many firewalls, or not enough
firewalls, or....

.... let me see....

.... or you don't have one well configured good firewall.

--
Mike Easter

TJ 08-20-2007 06:32 PM

Re: Firewall question

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in

> english_dude@london.com wrote:
>> I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
>> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
>> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
>> throughout..
>>
>> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
>> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
>> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
>>
>> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
>> intrusions get through my firewalls ?

> It seems to me that either you have too many firewalls

Never good.

> or not enough firewalls,

Never good.

> or....
>
> ... let me see....
>

> ... or you don't have one well configured good firewall.

I'll take "Misconfigured Good Firewalls" for 1000.00, Alex.

Whiskers 08-20-2007 07:05 PM

Re: Firewall question

On 2007-08-20, english_dude@london.com <english_dude@london.com> wrote:
> I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
> throughout..
>
> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
>
> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
> intrusions get through my firewalls ?
>
> TIA

Tell your router to drop pings from outside.

Try

ShieldsUP! 54,122,373 system tests

The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free
Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port
Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check
your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

at <http://www.grc.com/intro.htm>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mr. Arnold 08-20-2007 08:55 PM

Re: Firewall question

<english_dude@london.com> wrote in message
news:1187633281.959135.194740@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
>I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
> throughout..
>
> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
>
> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
> intrusions get through my firewalls ?

You have to set FW rules to drop ICMP/Ping traffic at the FW, for the
Smoothwall firewall, otherwise, ICMP traffic is coming through to the
network.

And you should posts to comp.security.firewalls if you don't know how to do
it with Smoothwall.

english_dude@london.com 08-21-2007 05:44 PM

Re: Firewall question

I solved the mystery of my firewall intrusion >>

I had recently been using P2P and apparently the trackers keep your IP
and port number for a while - so even when I was not using P2P, I was
being probed on my open (forwarded) port by other peers (shown as
allowed on PG2) and Safenet etc (shown as blocked on PG2) via various
ports on their machines

After I closed my forwarded port, all unsolicited incoming traffic
stopped.

BTW I mis-used the word 'ping'

Jess Pezy 08-22-2007 03:54 AM

Re: Firewall question

On Aug 20, 11:08 am, english_d...@london.com wrote:
> I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
> throughout..
>
> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
>
> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
> intrusions get through my firewalls ?
>
> TIA

ditch windows firewall, it is not a strong firewall. best best is to
get a router with a firewall built in, that will block ping requests.