Velocity Reviews

-   -   best graphics tool (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530723-best-graphics-tool.html)

Dan C 08-20-2007 01:41 PM

Re: best graphics tool

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:43:09 +1000, garf wrote:

> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.
>
> which is the best graphcs product?

The Gimp.

garf 08-20-2007 01:43 PM

best graphics tool

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 08-20-2007 01:52 PM

Re: best graphics tool

garf wrote:
> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.
>
> which is the best graphcs product?

It'd be mighty hard to say without knowing more about what you are
wanting to do. But CorelDRAW has always been a very good graphics
program, and also comes with a program somewhat similar to Photoshop.

The Old Sourdough 08-20-2007 02:24 PM

Re: best graphics tool

On 2007-08-20, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Dan C waxed eloquently:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:43:09 +1000, garf wrote:
>
>> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
>> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.
>>
>> which is the best graphcs product?

> The Gimp.

Agreed. And best of all, it's free.

--
The Old Sourdough

Blinky the Shark 08-20-2007 04:28 PM

Re: best graphics tool

garf wrote:
> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.

Can you be a little more vague about what you're trying to do? Thanks.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-20-2007 06:21 PM

Re: best graphics tool

"garf" <garfish@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
>want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.
>
>which is the best graphcs product?

Gimp is free as is Paint.Net, but Photoshop has the backing of a lot
of plugins.

--

12 volt battery hack -or- Unlock the $40 hidden inside a 12V battery
http://tinyurl.com/2rktrd

WhzzKdd 08-20-2007 06:52 PM

Re: best graphics tool

"garf" <garfish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:46c99a96$0$97222$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones
> etc.
>
> which is the best graphcs product?

Either one will do that. Start with a blank document, pick a color, pick a
brush, etc. and paint away.

Alternatives would be Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator and the like. These
create graphics as vector images, whereas Photoshop and Paintshop (and
similar) produce bitmaps.

If you don't know the difference, or you don't understand how to use the
software, I'd suggest you check your local community college or such to find
some assistance. Ours has classes on Photoshop that are excellent.

WhzzKdd 08-20-2007 06:53 PM

Re: best graphics tool

"Rgr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
news:XIudneswLJSMAVTbnZ2dnUVZ_uPinZ2d@pghconnect.c om...
> garf wrote:
>> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
>> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones
>> etc.
>>
>> which is the best graphcs product?

> It'd be mighty hard to say without knowing more about what you are wanting
> to do. But CorelDRAW has always been a very good graphics program, and
> also comes with a program somewhat similar to Photoshop.

Yup - Corel PhotoPaint.

thanatoid 08-21-2007 02:26 AM

Re: best graphics tool

"garf" <garfish@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:46c99a96$0$97222$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net:

> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop
> and paintshop, I want to be able to create graphics, not
> just fiddle with picture tones etc.
>
> which is the best graphcs product?

If you can be a little more specific - graphics is a VERY wide
open field/term - you will get better advice for your needs.

Also indicate how "professional" (someone who work for a major
publishing house preparing $300 art books or someone who wants
to print a cartoon of hi/her making a few times a month) you
want to be, because there is no point killing yourself trying to
learn a 30MB program with 400 menus that will do EVERYTHING when
a free 300KB with 5 menus program is all you need.

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria

Plato 08-21-2007 07:27 AM

Re: best graphics tool

garf wrote:

> I'm abit confused about the difference between photoshop and paintshop, I
> want to be able to create graphics, not just fiddle with picture tones etc.

Photoshop is pretty much the choice of young artists. See an example
here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/0020.htm#5

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/