Velocity Reviews

-   -   MOV files won't open automatically (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530680-mov-files-wont-open-automatically.html)

Terry Pinnell 08-20-2007 11:48 AM

MOV files won't open automatically

I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
*does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).

Anyone have any ideas please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Elmo 08-20-2007 12:25 PM

Re: MOV files won't open automatically

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
> in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
> anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
> just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
> wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
> Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
> *does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).
>
> Anyone have any ideas please?

When you right-click and click Open With, click "Choose Program". This
way you'll see the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of
file" option. Check it and see if that repairs the association.

--
Joe =o)

Terry Pinnell 08-20-2007 01:06 PM

Elmo <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
>> in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
>> anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
>> just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
>> wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
>> Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
>> *does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas please?

>When you right-click and click Open With, click "Choose Program". This
>way you'll see the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of
>file" option. Check it and see if that repairs the association.

Thanks Joe, but I no longer have that 'Always use...' checkbox,
probably because I use a handy program called OpenExpert to manage my
Open With lists (allowing me to add any number I like, unlike the
built-in facility).

FWIW, a d-click gives the message "Couldn't finish initializing
application because the file was not found."

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Elmo 08-20-2007 01:32 PM

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Elmo <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
>>> in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
>>> anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
>>> just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
>>> wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
>>> Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
>>> *does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas please?

>> When you right-click and click Open With, click "Choose Program". This
>> way you'll see the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of
>> file" option. Check it and see if that repairs the association.

> Thanks Joe, but I no longer have that 'Always use...' checkbox,
> probably because I use a handy program called OpenExpert to manage my
> Open With lists (allowing me to add any number I like, unlike the
> built-in facility).
>
> FWIW, a d-click gives the message "Couldn't finish initializing
> application because the file was not found."

In Folder Options, (if the software will let you go there) highlight the
MOV file type, click Advanced button, Open, Edit, and the

"Application used:" should have

"%1"

tacked on the end. If it doesn't, add it and see if that helps.

So it might read:

"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Quick TimePlayer" "%1"

I use a different player so I don't know exactly how it looks, or what
QT application is used..

Or disable OpenExpert till you fix the association.

--
Joe =o)

Terry Pinnell 08-20-2007 02:44 PM

Re: MOV files won't open automatically

Elmo <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:

>>> When you right-click and click Open With, click "Choose Program". This
>>> way you'll see the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of
>>> file" option. Check it and see if that repairs the association.

>> Thanks Joe, but I no longer have that 'Always use...' checkbox,
>> probably because I use a handy program called OpenExpert to manage my
>> Open With lists (allowing me to add any number I like, unlike the
>> built-in facility).
>>
>> FWIW, a d-click gives the message "Couldn't finish initializing
>> application because the file was not found."

>In Folder Options, (if the software will let you go there) highlight the
>MOV file type, click Advanced button, Open, Edit, and the
>
>"Application used:" should have
>
> "%1"
>
>tacked on the end. If it doesn't, add it and see if that helps.
>
>So it might read:
>
>"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Quick TimePlayer" "%1"
>
>I use a different player so I don't know exactly how it looks, or what
>QT application is used..
>
>Or disable OpenExpert till you fix the association.

Thanks Joe, appreciate your sticking with me on this.

I'm getting even more confused. Right now there is no MOV entry in
File Types. Yet d-clicking an MOV is opening QuickTime. However, it is
still annoyingly also telling me it can't find the file - even while
it continues to play it happily!

I will consider uninstalling OpenExpert (I see no way to merely
'disable' it), but I'm nervous about losing the advantages it gives
me. (Mainly, allowing me to choose from a dozen or so apps for types
like MPG, whereas before vanilla Win XP Home only allowed 6 I think.)

I've uninstalled QuickTime Player and reinstalled. Now seriously
considering uninstalling it permanently! MOV can open in other progs
like WMP, yes? But I think QT types, and the stuff that streams down
to my browser (Firefox) can only play in QuickTime.

Not sure how this mess started. I may try going back to a previous
System Restore, although I lose some other very recent additions if I
do so.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Elmo 08-20-2007 11:11 PM

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Elmo <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:

>>> Thanks Joe, but I no longer have that 'Always use...' checkbox,
>>> probably because I use a handy program called OpenExpert to manage my
>>> Open With lists (allowing me to add any number I like, unlike the
>>> built-in facility).
>>>
>>> FWIW, a d-click gives the message "Couldn't finish initializing
>>> application because the file was not found."

>> In Folder Options, (if the software will let you go there) highlight the
>> MOV file type, click Advanced button, Open, Edit, and the
>>
>> "Application used:" should have
>>
>> "%1"
>>
>> tacked on the end. If it doesn't, add it and see if that helps.
>>
>> So it might read:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Quick TimePlayer" "%1"
>>
>> I use a different player so I don't know exactly how it looks, or what
>> QT application is used..
>>
>> Or disable OpenExpert till you fix the association.

> Thanks Joe, appreciate your sticking with me on this.
>
> I'm getting even more confused. Right now there is no MOV entry in
> File Types. Yet d-clicking an MOV is opening QuickTime. However, it is
> still annoyingly also telling me it can't find the file - even while
> it continues to play it happily!
>
> I will consider uninstalling OpenExpert (I see no way to merely
> 'disable' it), but I'm nervous about losing the advantages it gives
> me. (Mainly, allowing me to choose from a dozen or so apps for types
> like MPG, whereas before vanilla Win XP Home only allowed 6 I think.)
>
> I've uninstalled QuickTime Player and reinstalled. Now seriously
> considering uninstalling it permanently! MOV can open in other progs
> like WMP, yes? But I think QT types, and the stuff that streams down
> to my browser (Firefox) can only play in QuickTime.
>
> Not sure how this mess started. I may try going back to a previous
> System Restore, although I lose some other very recent additions if I
> do so.

There's an option in QuickTime Preferences, under the File Types tab, to
set the (associations) for different file types. Under video there are
two QuickTime Movies, for some reason.. You might try setting the
associations there.

To get there, right-click the QT icon in the tray area, click
Preferences. Or open QT Player, click Edit, Preferences and look for
the File Types tab.

--
Joe =o)

Terry Pinnell 08-21-2007 05:57 AM

Re: MOV files won't open automatically

Elmo <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:

>>> In Folder Options, (if the software will let you go there) highlight the
>>> MOV file type, click Advanced button, Open, Edit, and the
>>>
>>> "Application used:" should have
>>>
>>> "%1"
>>>
>>> tacked on the end. If it doesn't, add it and see if that helps.
>>>
>>> So it might read:
>>>
>>> "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Quick TimePlayer" "%1"
>>>
>>> I use a different player so I don't know exactly how it looks, or what
>>> QT application is used..
>>>
>>> Or disable OpenExpert till you fix the association.

>> Thanks Joe, appreciate your sticking with me on this.
>>
>> I'm getting even more confused. Right now there is no MOV entry in
>> File Types. Yet d-clicking an MOV is opening QuickTime. However, it is
>> still annoyingly also telling me it can't find the file - even while
>> it continues to play it happily!
>>
>> I will consider uninstalling OpenExpert (I see no way to merely
>> 'disable' it), but I'm nervous about losing the advantages it gives
>> me. (Mainly, allowing me to choose from a dozen or so apps for types
>> like MPG, whereas before vanilla Win XP Home only allowed 6 I think.)
>>
>> I've uninstalled QuickTime Player and reinstalled. Now seriously
>> considering uninstalling it permanently! MOV can open in other progs
>> like WMP, yes? But I think QT types, and the stuff that streams down
>> to my browser (Firefox) can only play in QuickTime.
>>
>> Not sure how this mess started. I may try going back to a previous
>> System Restore, although I lose some other very recent additions if I
>> do so.

>There's an option in QuickTime Preferences, under the File Types tab, to
>set the (associations) for different file types. Under video there are
>two QuickTime Movies, for some reason.. You might try setting the
>associations there.
>
>To get there, right-click the QT icon in the tray area, click
>Preferences. Or open QT Player, click Edit, Preferences and look for
>the File Types tab.

Thanks. I had tried that following your earlier suggestion. But
perversely QT only allows you to choose to have entire 'categories'
enabled:

Select viewer associations:
Windows file types
(AVI, BMP, ...)
Macintosh file types
(PICT, AIFF, ...)
Internet file types
(GIF, JPEG, ...)

Enabling the first, in a spirit of experiment, I lost all my previous
associations, as I expected. So had to reset (AVI to VirtualDub, MPG
to WMP, etc).

However, after much further trail/error, I now at last seem to have
MOV opening on d-click, with no contradictory messages! Wish I knew
what had happened, but happy to have normality back.

Thanks for all your help.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

sittingduck 08-21-2007 06:17 AM

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
> in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
> anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
> just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
> wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
> Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
> *does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).
>
> Anyone have any ideas please?

Do you really need quicktime?
VLC player + Quicktime alternative codec will let you see pretty much any
..mov file, and even lets you view embedded quicktime stuff in webpages.
No need for quicktime at all then. :)

Terry Pinnell 08-21-2007 11:44 AM

sittingduck <sittingduck@dodgit.com> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I have MOV files associated with QuickTime v 6.3. But d-clicking one
>> in a Windows (XP Home) folder does not open the file in QuickTime (or
>> anything else). If I already have QuickTime open, d-clicking an MOV
>> just makes the application window 'flicker/shiver' a bit after a short
>> wait, nothing else. Whatever file (if any) is loaded, stays loaded.
>> Yet if I r-click an MOV and use Open With > QuickTimePlayer.exe, it
>> *does* open (albeit after about 20 secs).
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas please?

>Do you really need quicktime?
>VLC player + Quicktime alternative codec will let you see pretty much any
>.mov file, and even lets you view embedded quicktime stuff in webpages.
>No need for quicktime at all then. :)

Sounds a good idea, as I can't say I like QT. I have VLC Player. Where
can I find the Quicktime alternative codec please? BTW, any problems
likely using Firefox?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-21-2007 05:24 PM

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>>To get there, right-click the QT icon in the tray area, click
>>Preferences. Or open QT Player, click Edit, Preferences and look for
>>the File Types tab.

>Thanks. I had tried that following your earlier suggestion. But
>perversely QT only allows you to choose to have entire 'categories'
>enabled:
>
>Select viewer associations:
>Windows file types
> (AVI, BMP, ...)
>Macintosh file types
> (PICT, AIFF, ...)
>Internet file types
> (GIF, JPEG, ...)
>
>Enabling the first, in a spirit of experiment, I lost all my previous
>associations, as I expected. So had to reset (AVI to VirtualDub, MPG
>to WMP, etc).
>
>However, after much further trail/error, I now at last seem to have
>MOV opening on d-click, with no contradictory messages! Wish I knew
>what had happened, but happy to have normality back.

One more.

Start | Run <type in>
CMD /K ASSOC /?
<enter>

Be something like ASSOC .MOV = Path\quicktime.exe <enter>

--

Real sappy
http://est1976.blogsome.com/2007/08/...t-got-engaged/