Velocity Reviews

-   -   PLEASE HELP restore to previous date (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530251-please-help-restore-to-previous-date.html)

CdLSRN 08-19-2007 03:59 AM

PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

I have windows 98se. Dell XPST450 came with Adobe Photo Delux Business Edition. I
bought Adobe Photo Delux Home Edition. Everything has been fine. Today I downloaded a
free, recommended by c-net picture editor that didn't work well for me so I
uninstalled it.
Then when I opened a picture I got a message "cannot find the file
C:\...............jpg (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are
correct and that all required libraries are available." but the picture would come
up anyway.

So I uninstalled Photo deluxe Home Edition and Photo deluxe Business Edition and
re-installed Home Edition with the CD. I am still getting the same error message and
all pictures that I created with the Business Edition are gone (empty folders). I can
not find the original cd for the Business Edition.\

IS THERE A "GO BACK" or "System Restore" to a previous date to fix my problem?
PLEASE HELP.

WhzzKdd 08-19-2007 04:03 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

"CdLSRN" <ginnyrn5@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have windows 98se. Dell XPST450 came with Adobe Photo Delux Business
>Edition. I
> bought Adobe Photo Delux Home Edition. Everything has been fine. Today I
> downloaded a
> free, recommended by c-net picture editor that didn't work well for me so
> uninstalled it.
> Then when I opened a picture I got a message "cannot find the file
> C:\...............jpg (or one of its components). Make sure the path and
> filename are
> correct and that all required libraries are available." but the picture
> would come
> up anyway.
>
> So I uninstalled Photo deluxe Home Edition and Photo deluxe Business
> Edition and
> re-installed Home Edition with the CD. I am still getting the same error
> message and
> all pictures that I created with the Business Edition are gone (empty
> folders). I can
> not find the original cd for the Business Edition.\
>
> IS THERE A "GO BACK" or "System Restore" to a previous date to fix my
> problem?
> PLEASE HELP.

Nope. Unless you had GoBack installed prior to your problem it wouldn't help
anyway. And W98 had no such utility.

CdLSRN 08-19-2007 04:11 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

But I remember Dell walking me through doing this when the computer was under
warranty! Are you sure there is no way to restore to a previous date?

pcbutts1 08-19-2007 04:18 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

Scanreg???????? http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/winprogs.html

why? 08-19-2007 06:55 AM

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 23:59:39 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:

>I have windows 98se. Dell XPST450 came with Adobe Photo Delux Business Edition. I
>bought Adobe Photo Delux Home Edition. Everything has been fine. Today I downloaded a
>free, recommended by c-net picture editor that didn't work well for me so I
>uninstalled it.
>Then when I opened a picture I got a message "cannot find the file
>C:\...............jpg (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are

Isn't that where it all went wrong, "C:\...............jpg", odd
filename and path.

>correct and that all required libraries are available." but the picture would come
>up anyway.

So you changed the file associations back, oops no you didn't.

>So I uninstalled Photo deluxe Home Edition and Photo deluxe Business Edition and

Why? More so since you didn't have the 1 CD?

>re-installed Home Edition with the CD. I am still getting the same error message and
>all pictures that I created with the Business Edition are gone (empty folders). I can
>not find the original cd for the Business Edition.\

If you created pictures they won't be on the BE CD.

Sounds like you saved the files in the program folders for BE and when
you uninstalled, it removed them.

You have to restore the files from your backup.

>IS THERE A "GO BACK" or "System Restore" to a previous date to fix my problem?

Several goback products, you have to have it installed first so it can
track changes.

System restore (Win XP), as mentioned before in 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
doesn't backup/restore what you think it may do.

Win98 SE has no such option.

If you have been using the PC or since you reinstall HE, a data recovery
utility will have a lower chance of recovering the files. The problem is
worse if Win is installed on C and the files to recover are on C.
Installing the recovery app is likely to overwrite space that was used
by what you deleted.

From another PC try d/l and see if you can get this on a USB stick, CD /
floppy.

http://www.undelete.com/support/emergency-undelete.asp

PC Inspector File Recovery

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

GetDataBack
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

>PLEASE HELP.

Me

why? 08-19-2007 06:57 AM

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:11:15 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:

>But I remember Dell walking me through doing this when the computer was under
>warranty! Are you sure there is no way to restore to a previous date?

You mean the system recovery CDs, that may take it back to as the day it
was delivered. Unless Dell included a data recovery tool it won't
restore entire application you uninstalled.

Try the Dell online support then.

>"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>> "CdLSRN" <ginnyrn5@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >I have windows 98se. Dell XPST450 came with Adobe Photo Delux Business
>> >Edition. I
>> > bought Adobe Photo Delux Home Edition. Everything has been fine. Today I
>> > downloaded a
>> > free, recommended by c-net picture editor that didn't work well for me so
>> > uninstalled it.
>> > Then when I opened a picture I got a message "cannot find the file
>> > C:\...............jpg (or one of its components). Make sure the path and
>> > filename are
>> > correct and that all required libraries are available." but the picture
>> > would come
>> > up anyway.

<snip>

Me

Flyer 08-19-2007 09:18 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

"CdLSRN" <ginnyrn5@nospam.com> wrote in message
> But I remember Dell walking me through doing this when the computer was
> under
> warranty! Are you sure there is no way to restore to a previous date?

All Dell's usually have a restore partition, but it only restores back to
when it left the factory.

P.

JANA 08-27-2007 02:31 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP restore to previous date

You can restore the previous registry settings, but in your case this will
not bring back lost files.

This is another reason why I keep stressing to people to have dual hard
disks, and keep an updated full image of their system. This makes things a
lot easier when a restore of anything has to be done!

--

JANA
_____

WhzzKdd 08-27-2007 02:36 AM

"JANA" <jana@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote in message
> You can restore the previous registry settings, but in your case this will
> not bring back lost files.
>
> This is another reason why I keep stressing to people to have dual hard
> disks, and keep an updated full image of their system. This makes things a
> lot easier when a restore of anything has to be done!

Do you think the SATA RAID on some of these new motherboards would do that
(RAID1)? I've never had a board like that, but it seems like a great option,
considering the low cost of drives nowadays.