Velocity Reviews

-   -   installing new RAM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530248-installing-new-ram.html)

mooky 08-19-2007 03:11 AM

installing new RAM

I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a
few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston
256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to
get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it
could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

mooky 08-19-2007 03:35 AM

Re: installing new RAM

On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a
> few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
> reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
> no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston
> 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
> 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to
> get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
> scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it
> could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
> that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that
shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
read the correct 512?

why? 08-19-2007 07:06 AM

Re: installing new RAM

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:35:38 -0700, mooky wrote:

>On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a

You get what you pay for.

>> few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
>> reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
>> no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston

You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

>> 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
>> 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to

So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
bought 2.

>> get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
>> scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it

Also a good vendor.

>> could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
>> that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

>I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
>CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
>read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
512 were in.

>shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
>read the correct 512?

What correct 512?

You aren't making sense.

You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
Not that it matters now.

Me

mooky 08-19-2007 05:55 PM

Re: installing new RAM

On Aug 19, 2:06 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:35:38 -0700, mooky wrote:
> >On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a

> You get what you pay for.
>
> >> few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
> >> reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
> >> no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston

> You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.
>
> >> 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
> >> 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to

> So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
> work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
> bought 2.
>
> >> get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
> >> scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it

> Also a good vendor.
>
> >> could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
> >> that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

> >I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
> >CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
> >read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

> 512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
> 512 were in.
>
> >shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
> >read the correct 512?

> What correct 512?
>
> You aren't making sense.
>
> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
> motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
> Not that it matters now.
>
> Me

I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...

mooky 08-19-2007 06:32 PM

Re: installing new RAM

On Aug 19, 12:55 pm, mooky <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2:06 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

> > You get what you pay for.

> > You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

> > So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
> > work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
> > bought 2.

> > Also a good vendor.

> > >I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
> > >CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
> > >read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

> > 512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
> > 512 were in.

> > >shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
> > >read the correct 512?

> > What correct 512?

> > You aren't making sense.

> > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
> > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
> > Not that it matters now.

> > Me

> I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
> it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
> of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
> back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
> my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
> last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
> and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
> have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...- Hide quoted text -

also didn't mention that my memory I purchased is pc133 sdram non
ECChow do I disable ecc in hte BIOS? I am guessing that may have
something to do with my RAM problem..I hope it does

why? 08-19-2007 08:01 PM

Re: installing new RAM

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:32:35 -0700, mooky wrote:

>On Aug 19, 12:55 pm, mooky <mooky9...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > You get what you pay for.

>> > You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

<snip>

>> > What correct 512?

>> > You aren't making sense.

>> > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
>> > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
>> > Not that it matters now.

>> > Me

>> I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
>> it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
>> of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
>> back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
>> my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
>> last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
>> and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
>> have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...- Hide quoted text -

>also didn't mention that my memory I purchased is pc133 sdram non
>ECChow do I disable ecc in hte BIOS? I am guessing that may have

RTFM

>something to do with my RAM problem..I hope it does

You did confirm ECC/nonECC on the mobo then?

From an earlier post in this thread,

<quote>
You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
Not that it matters now.
</quote>

Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.

Generally, RTFM.

Me

WhzzKdd 08-19-2007 08:24 PM

Re: installing new RAM

<snpi>

> <quote>
> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
> motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
> Not that it matters now.
> </quote>
>
> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
>
> Generally, RTFM.

Well, with a name like mooky...

Blinky the Shark 08-19-2007 08:42 PM

Re: installing new RAM

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>
><snpi>
>
>> <quote> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS
>> of your motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the
>> memory. Not that it matters now. </quote>
>>
>> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
>> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
>> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
>>
>> Generally, RTFM.
>>

> Well, with a name like mooky...

Hey.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...son_Mookie.stm

:)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

WhzzKdd 08-19-2007 08:59 PM

Re: installing new RAM

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
news:slrnfchasa.i2u.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>
>><snpi>
>>
>>> <quote> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS
>>> of your motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the
>>> memory. Not that it matters now. </quote>
>>>
>>> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
>>> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
>>> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
>>>
>>> Generally, RTFM.
>>>

>> Well, with a name like mooky...

> Hey.
>
> http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...son_Mookie.stm
>
> :)

Heh! I suppose...but the spelling's different ;)

Blinky the Shark 08-19-2007 09:05 PM

Re: installing new RAM

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
> news:slrnfchasa.i2u.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
>> WhzzKdd wrote:
>>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>>
>>><snpi>

>>> Well, with a name like mooky...

>> Hey.
>>
>> http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...son_Mookie.stm
>>
>> :)
>>

> Heh! I suppose...but the spelling's different ;)

Semantics! :) That's one of the most famous plays in baseball, BTW.