Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530135-bored-maybe-this-modern-masterpiece-is-what-you-need.html)

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com 08-18-2007 11:58 AM

Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need...

Now first I must warn you - if you are a little challenged in the
humerus region, if you take life very seriously, and don't get
concepts like Monty Python... then this post is probably *not* for
you. (Similarly, if brutality to small furry things offends you, or
you have already seen the "clifford" image, do *not* read on...)

Sometimes, an image just rises out of nowhere to inspire a
generation. Here is the one for our times, imo:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1100067

Your initial reaction may be puzzlement, or even complete
disinterest.. but you really need to read the critiques (this is a
very loooong page!) to fully understand. And then there are the
additional images posted... (O:

Do be warned, the thread of critiques takes a very nasty turn about a
quarter of the way down, when the evil Rick Vincent makes an unwelcome
appearance - do *not* let this page be seen by the young or faint
hearted...

(I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
enough to start reading...)

Matt Ion 08-18-2007 06:18 PM

Re: Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need...

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com wrote:

> Your initial reaction may be puzzlement, or even complete
> disinterest.. but you really need to read the critiques (this is a
> very loooong page!) to fully understand. And then there are the
> additional images posted... (O:

Ah, I've had those sorts of moments...

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1994659

Pete D 08-18-2007 09:46 PM

Re: Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need...

Must say I was pretty amazed by the timeframe of all the posts.

Noons 08-19-2007 07:44 AM

On Aug 19, 4:18 am, Matt Ion <soundy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, I've had those sorts of moments...
>
> http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1994659

Perfect control of the highlights!

ASAAR 08-19-2007 09:14 AM

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:58:59 -0700, mark.thomas.7@gmail.com wrote:

> (I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
> enough to start reading...)

Silly me. But I deserve the wasted hour because I had the
temerity to recently post a link to the Bonsai Kitten web page. I
won't soon repeat that mistake.

:)

D_Mac 08-20-2007 02:26 AM

On Aug 19, 5:44 pm, Noons <wizofo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 4:18 am, Matt Ion <soundy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ah, I've had those sorts of moments...

> >http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1994659

> Perfect control of the highlights!

ROTFL
I suppose no one (not even the world reknown photography critic:
Baabaa Markt) has figured it out yet?
I'm surprised none of the photosig critics picked it up either. I
guess there are photographers and then there are REAL Photographers!

Doug

John Turco 08-20-2007 04:20 AM

ASAAR wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:58:59 -0700, mark.thomas.7@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > (I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
> > enough to start reading...)

> Silly me. But I deserve the wasted hour because I had the
> temerity to recently post a link to the Bonsai Kitten web page. I
> won't soon repeat that mistake.
>
> :)

Hello, ASAAR:

I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
love. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

ASAAR 08-20-2007 05:13 AM

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:20:26 -0500, John Turco wrote:

> I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
> fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
> love. <g>

Try it, you'll like it. Guaranteed. Very little Vick (none,
actually), much more reminiscent of Zelig.

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com 08-20-2007 11:18 AM

On Aug 20, 2:20 pm, John Turco <j...@concentric.net> wrote:
> I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
> fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
> love. <g>
>
> Cordially,
> John Turco <j...@concentric.net>

aww, go on John. here it is again...

http://photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1100067

Take a peek at the image, wince in pain, then just read Tony Dummett's
critique and Laurence Spinak's response - you will have an idea of
where it is heading. By that time the rest of the page will have
loaded and you can scroll down to see the level it reaches and the
derivative works it inspired... (O;

It helps if you have spent time at photo.net and know the regulars
from back around 2002/3, but even without it the responses to the
image are pretty funny, and it runs the gamut from the higher meanings
of life, the universe and everything, through PS cheating, through to
torture and depravity (in the nicest possible way, of course)...

It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
painful truth)..

Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

John Turco 08-23-2007 02:47 AM

ASAAR wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:20:26 -0500, John Turco wrote:
>
> > I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
> > fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
> > love. <g>

> Try it, you'll like it. Guaranteed. Very little Vick (none,
> actually), much more reminiscent of Zelig.

Hello, ASAAR:

Thanks, but, I must respectfully decline. <g>