Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't save ebay pages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530128-cant-save-ebay-pages.html)

John Schutkeker 08-18-2007 10:22 AM

Can't save ebay pages

After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
"This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
directory.

I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
work.

Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

meerkat 08-18-2007 11:07 AM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

"John Schutkeker" <jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115. 17.102...

> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can
> no
> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
> correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
> well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box
> saying
> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
> directory.
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths
> of
> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
> and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still
> doesn't
> work.
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
In Applications, and System logs.

bw..

Evan Platt 08-18-2007 12:25 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:22:07 GMT, John Schutkeker
<jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote:

>After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
>longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
>correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
>well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
>"This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
>directory.
>
>I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
>file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
>and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
>work.
>
>Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

Try a different browser.

Vanguard 08-18-2007 03:05 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

"John Schutkeker" wrote in message
news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115. 17.102...

> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
> can no
> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
> work
> correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
> working,
> well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box
> saying
> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
> destination
> directory.
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
> lengths of
> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
> characters,
> and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still
> doesn't
> work.
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

Because IE will try to yank the page to times out with complex
server-side scripts, iframe, or other security options. Many pages
proffer up only some of their content by using Javascript or VBscript
to compile the URLs for embedded contents, like for images. IE does
not parse (run) scripts when saving the web page. Since IE can't get
it all, it aborts. Another reason is that the page uses a linked
style sheet which is on a different server than the web page. An
update (MS02-023) changed security options to block data from a
different domains. You could modify that setting in the Internet
Security zone but then any site that wants to get data from somewhere
else could lie to you. You could set it to Prompt instead of
Disabled. You could try putting IE in offline mode so what it saves
comes from its cache).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235589

Agent Smith 08-18-2007 07:02 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

"meerkat" <man@cov.com> wrote in

> "John Schutkeker" <jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115. 17.102...
>>
>> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
>> can no
>> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
>> work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
>> working, well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an
>> error box saying
>> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
>> destination directory.
>>
>> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
>> lengths of
>> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
>> characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
>> process still doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?
>>

> Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
> In Applications, and System logs.

Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

TJ 08-18-2007 07:08 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

Agent Smith <agent-smith@two-blocks-on-your-left.com> wrote in
news:Xns9990990065D4Aagentsmithtwoblockso@207.115. 17.102:

> "meerkat" <man@cov.com> wrote in
>

>> "John Schutkeker" <jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in message
>> news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115. 17.102...
>>>
>>> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
>>> can no
>>> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
>>> work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
>>> working, well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an
>>> error box saying
>>> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
>>> destination directory.
>>>
>>> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
>>> lengths of
>>> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
>>> characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
>>> process still doesn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?
>>>

>> Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
>> In Applications, and System logs.

> Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

When was the last time ya dumped your cache?

IE>Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files> (check box that says, "Delete
Offline Contents")>OK

Clear your cookies and History while yer in there.

John Schutkeker 08-18-2007 07:58 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

TJ <TJ@nothanks.invalid> wrote in

> Agent Smith <agent-smith@two-blocks-on-your-left.com> wrote in
> news:Xns9990990065D4Aagentsmithtwoblockso@207.115. 17.102:
>> "meerkat" <man@cov.com> wrote in
>>> "John Schutkeker" <jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in
>>> message news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115. 17.102...

>>> Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
>>> In Applications, and System logs.

>> Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

> When was the last time ya dumped your cache?
>
> IE>Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files> (check box that says, "Delete
> Offline Contents")>OK
>
> Clear your cookies and History while yer in there.

I do it all the time, especially since I learned how much disk space it
reclaims. :)

Plato 08-19-2007 02:47 AM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

John Schutkeker wrote:

> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
> correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
> well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
> directory.
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
> and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
> work.

That was a smart thing to try anyway...

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

John Schutkeker 08-19-2007 02:19 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:46c7aee6$0$98891$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com:

> John Schutkeker wrote:
>>
>> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
>> can no longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process
>> appears to work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer
>> showing it working, well past 95%. But then the action stops
>> abruptly, with an error box saying "This web page could not be
>> saved," and no file appears in the destination directory.
>>
>> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
>> lengths of file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a
>> few characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
>> process still doesn't work.

> That was a smart thing to try anyway...

There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

Evan Platt 08-19-2007 03:06 PM

Re: Can't save ebay pages

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:19:03 GMT, John Schutkeker
<jschutkeker@sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote:

>There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
>to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
>routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

And it's just that. A rumor. Try the suggestions from the 5 or so
other replies to your question.