Velocity Reviews

-   -   Did my hard drive crash? :) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t530119-did-my-hard-drive-crash.html)

Smooth Operator 08-18-2007 09:29 AM

Did my hard drive crash? :)

Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
hard drive I get the message

D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.

I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they keep
burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 08-18-2007 09:40 AM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

Smooth Operator wrote:
> Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
> hard drive I get the message
>
> D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
> Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.
>
> I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
> supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they keep
> burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
> possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

Easy enough to check the IDE cable, just replace and see. But it's
possible that the drive that seems to have gone tits up may have
contributed to the power supplies going bad. Are you buying decent
quality power supplies?

ded 08-18-2007 12:06 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

"Smooth Operator" <murphdrag@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
> hard drive I get the message
>
> D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
> Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.
>
> I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
> supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they
> keep burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could
> this possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable?
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It maybe protected. Are you certain that it is actually two seperate hard
drives?
Many OEM's install a "restore" partition on the primary HD, resulting in
two partitions "C" and "D".

If you're certain it is two seperate HD's, and it was yourself that
installed
the replacement power supplies -
Did the "secondary drive" ever work, was it ever accessible?
Is the "secondary hard drive" configured correctly, each IDE channel can
accommadate two devices, but one as master and one as slave on each
IDE channel. What other device (burner?) is on the same IDE channel as
the problematic HD, and which is master and which is slave?

And how have you been trying to access the "secondary hard drive"?
Does it show up in Windows Explorer, or as an example when saving/
send to/ files, is that HD an option in the drop down?

old man 08-18-2007 12:11 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

either you are buying cheap & nasty pwr supplies, they are from a bad batch,
or your mains pwr is very dirty, ie spikes/surges

Smooth Operator 08-18-2007 05:41 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The
secondary drive is the slave drive. It's always been accessible ever since I
bought the computer like maybe 3 years ago. Everything in the computer is
configured the same way the manufacturer had it, with the exception of the
new power supply, which is a quality power supply, not "dirty". There aren't
any other devices sharing the IDE cable with it. When I try to save, the D
drive shows up, but when I select it I get a grey box with the error
message. It's like it's expecting a floppy disk to be in there or
something... so bizarre.

Smooth Operator 08-18-2007 05:43 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

Smooth Operator 08-18-2007 05:43 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

ded 08-18-2007 08:46 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

"Smooth Operator" <murphdrag@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:keadnQdGdMNGslrbnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The
> secondary drive is the slave drive. It's always been accessible ever since
> bought the computer like maybe 3 years ago. Everything in the computer is
> configured the same way the manufacturer had it, with the exception of the
> new power supply, which is a quality power supply, not "dirty". There
> aren't
> any other devices sharing the IDE cable with it.

Thats confusing, if the secondary HD is configured as "slave" then *it* is
sharing an IDE channel with another device which is configured as master!
Apoligies for repeating, but the indications are of a hardware configuration
thats gone wrong?
OK, so it's a 3 year old gateway model, post exact model number and I'll
look it up.
I'll guess it is a standard configuration of primary HD as master on the
primary
IDE channel with the DVD burner as slave on same IDE channel.
If your PC does indeed have a secondary HD then that will be on the second
IDE channel, if there is a second DVD/CD drive in your PC that will share
the second IDE channel.

Post model number of your gateway PC

In device manager, scroll and locate "Disk drives"
Click the "+" to open the tree, are two drives listed?
If so, are either marked with an exclaimation or questionmark?

If it may have been registry corruption etc, when the problem occurred
did you try a system restore point?

Plato 08-19-2007 02:47 AM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

Smooth Operator wrote:

> I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
> supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they keep
> burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
> possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

Its sort of odd that you have had so many power supply problems. Perhaps
you live in an old neighborhood like I do and really need to pass the
power through two surge protectors before power gets to your pc.

Also note that the $10 to $15 surge protectors the surge protector
circiut will short out to protect your pc. So, you have to keep an eye
on them and make sure the surge protector light is still on.

Hell, I even do the unthinkable, ie keep my pc on during a storm, and
yes, often a surge protector will protect, then of course fail. I always
keep a few new ones on hand due to my surfing habits during storms.

For me, its far cheaper to replace surge protectors than power supplies
and hard drives, but that's me...

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

w_tom 08-19-2007 11:17 PM

Re: Did my hard drive crash? :)

On Aug 18, 5:29 am, "Smooth Operator" <murphd...@insightbb.com> wrote:
> Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
> hard drive I get the message
>
> D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
> Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.

Go to and report basic hardware information from system (event) logs
and from Device Manager. What errors were detected long ago by event
logs that are now causing trouble? What devices in Device Manager are
reported as defective OR are missing in tnat list?

If you don't know where these are, then use Window's Help.

Troubling and an indication that a 'quality' supply is not or is
undersized is implied by so many replaced supplies. Supply must work
without ever causing computer hardware damage. And no computer
hardware will damage a properly designed supply.

Why / what number says previous supplies were defective? Or did
someone just automatically replace a supply, see the computer working,
and then wildly speculate that a problem was solved? This paragraph
asking questions that might explain your current failure.

For example, a power supply can boot a computer and yet be 100%
defective. Then a defective supply might cause your hard drive
problem. We could discuss more than 100 'could be's. Instead, find
and report known facts such as from the event log, Device Manager, and
reasons why previous supplies were known to be defective.

Meanwhile, move on to other useful tools. Gateway has a bad
reputation of not providing comprehensive hardware diagnostics. You
must obtain those diagnostics from each individual component
manufacturer. Download diagnostics from each disk drive
manufacturer. Run those diagnostics even without Windows so as to
break the problem down into simpler parts. Never execute any disk
test that uses the word 'write' or 'format'. Needed are those
diagnostic reports.