Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 98 diagnostic software recommendations? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t529930-windows-98-diagnostic-software-recommendations.html)

Smokey 08-17-2007 01:35 PM

Windows 98 diagnostic software recommendations?

I am looking for software that can diagnose Windows 98 problems and scan my
computer for conflicts, hardware and software and repair them. For years I
used Norton Utilities but my most recent version (2001) never has impressed
me with getting deep into my computer to fix Windows and other problems. I
know the "computer repair" places use some sort of software to quickly fix
computers and wonder if anyone knows what is used or has any recommendations
for somethingmore powerful THAT WILL WORK WITH WINDOWS 98?

Thanks to all for your help!

Smokey

babaloo 08-18-2007 06:12 PM

Re: Windows 98 diagnostic software recommendations?

If your computer can handle it the best software to do what you want would
be to upgrade to XP. Almost any PIII or better with 256mbs of RAM can handle
it.
In truth no software is very good at fixing registry problems.
Hardware conflicts are actually rare if your bios is set up to allow Windows
to assign resources. When USB 1 was new there were often conflicts if the
USB ports were assigned to share IRQs with other devices, particularly
network cards. This just does not occur with XP and more modern motherboards
but could be an issue for you.
I do not know if anti-spyware and anti-malware programs are compatible with
Win98 but you may have acquired some of these nasties.
Lastly, if your computer is slowing, Win 98 must be manually defragged and
you must look through all the garf that loads at boot up and delete what you
do not need.

Robert Baer 08-19-2007 04:22 AM

babaloo wrote:

> If your computer can handle it the best software to do what you want would
> be to upgrade to XP. Almost any PIII or better with 256mbs of RAM can handle
> it.
> In truth no software is very good at fixing registry problems.
> Hardware conflicts are actually rare if your bios is set up to allow Windows
> to assign resources. When USB 1 was new there were often conflicts if the
> USB ports were assigned to share IRQs with other devices, particularly
> network cards. This just does not occur with XP and more modern motherboards
> but could be an issue for you.
> I do not know if anti-spyware and anti-malware programs are compatible with
> Win98 but you may have acquired some of these nasties.
> Lastly, if your computer is slowing, Win 98 must be manually defragged and
> you must look through all the garf that loads at boot up and delete what you
> do not need.

AVG and SpySweeper are both compatible.