Velocity Reviews

-   -   Belkin WIFI Card (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5294-belkin-wifi-card.html)

BJH 12-29-2004 10:18 PM

Belkin WIFI Card

Hi

I'm trying to install a Belkin WIFI card into a W98SE PC. The card calls
for PCI V2.1 which the machine has, its an ASUS mother board from 1998 with
a PII-333 processor.

I've upgraded the BIOS to the most current and I've just reinstalled
Windows with ACPI.

However, when I fit the card as per the install instructions, i.e. install
the Belkin software first, switch off the PC, install the card and switch
on.

The PC doesn't recognise the card as new hardware.

I've called Belkin without any success.

Any suggestions?

Or is it a dead loss?

--
Best regards
Barry

mikeFNB 12-29-2004 11:15 PM

Re: Belkin WIFI Card

it might be that the m/b has numbered pci slots and one is the primary.
try moving out the board which is in the first slot, and reinstall it in
another.
check all is ok, then put wireless card in that one.

a good pointer as to the 'truth' about your motherboard and it's
capabilities and if it reqiures any additional updating is to download and
run AIDA32
that wil tell you all you need to know.

win98se should support the belkin.

you might also find it helpful to visit windows update and let it do it's
bit.

mike

Eric P. 12-30-2004 09:04 AM

Re: Belkin WIFI Card

I'm using a Belkin F5D7000df PCI 802.11g card in a Pentium II 333MHz
computer with Intel Portland PD440FX motherboard from 1997 for an
Internet/Network connection with a 802.11b Draytek Vigor 2600We ADSL
Router/Wireless LAN.

The computer with the Belkin card runs Windows 98SE and is on a
different floor, the Belkin card works without problem.
Detection of the card went as described in the instructions.

Sometimes however it gets subnet mask 255.255.0.0 from DHCP iso of
255.255.255.0 I expect.
This is not the case when I use a different (external USB)card on the
same computer.

I would follow all Mike's good suggestions and when that doesn't work
exchange the card with a different one and try again.