Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best utility for extracting exe files? Reshack or Zip Genius? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528905-best-utility-for-extracting-exe-files-reshack-or-zip-genius.html)

hmmm@hmmm.org 08-13-2007 05:17 PM

Best utility for extracting exe files? Reshack or Zip Genius?

Is Resource Hacker the best?

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file before I
install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc and Extractnow don't do this.

Zip Genius appears to accomplish the task. How is the program?

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=3

thanatoid 08-13-2007 09:50 PM

Re: Best utility for extracting exe files? Reshack or Zip Genius?

hmmm@hmmm.org wrote in

> Is Resource Hacker the best?
>
> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

RH (I know a program called Resource Tuner and I assume they do
the same thing) does not "extract" exe's, it allows you to
change embedded icons, some window text, etc.

> I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe
> file before I install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc
> and Extractnow don't do this.

Some exe files are practically zip files to begin with and a
good file manager (like Total Commander) or I would imagine any
good compression program (I use WinRAR) can extract the, Others
you have to install. Use InControl or similar if you want to see
what happens to your system during the process.

> Zip Genius appears to accomplish the task. How is the
> program?
>
> http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=3

Why don't you test it and tell us?

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-13-2007 10:03 PM

hmmm@hmmm.org wrote:

>I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file before I
>install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc and Extractnow don't do this.

Click on the program to install it, stop at the first info screen.

Goto your TEMP directory (that you just cleared out) you will find the
program all extracted and ready to install, just search thru the
files. - stop the installation no harm done.

FWIW I have my temp directory at C:\Temp lot less digging.
--
Hubble Pans Across Heavens to Harvest 50,000 Evolving Galaxies
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc.../image/e/warn/

Bear Bottoms 08-13-2007 10:25 PM

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:17:37 -0500, <hmmm@hmmm.org> wrote:

> Is Resource Hacker the best?
>
> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
>
> I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file before I
> install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc and Extractnow don't do
> this.
>

> Zip Genius appears to accomplish the task. How is the program?
>
> http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=3

IMO it is an excellent program and the one I decided to list on my
site...above all of the others.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

Vanguard 08-13-2007 10:36 PM

"hmmm" wrote in message
> Is Resource Hacker the best?
>
> http://www. angusj. com/ resourcehacker/
>
> I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file before
> install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc and Extractnow don't do
> this.
>

> Zip Genius appears to accomplish the task. How is the program?
>
> http://www. zipgenius. it / eng / ? page_id=3

You won't tell what files created after running an .exe. Seeing what
files are in a .zip file, even one wrapped with the self-extract .exe
code, only shows you the files needed to do the INSTALL. It shows you
nothing about what files actually get CREATED by the install.

Use VMWare Server, VPC, ShadowSurfer, or Windows SteadyState to see
what gets installed (provided you have a tool to log the current state
and then show you the difference after the install).

none 08-14-2007 02:07 PM

Re: Best utility for extracting exe files? Reshack or Zip Genius?

"Vanguard" <vanguard@mail.invalid> wrote in

> "hmmm" wrote in message
>> Is Resource Hacker the best?
>>
>> http://www. angusj. com/ resourcehacker/
>>
>> I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file before
>> install it. I'm surprised that 7-zip, Izarc and Extractnow don't do
>> this.
>>

>> Zip Genius appears to accomplish the task. How is the program?
>>
>> http://www. zipgenius. it / eng / ? page_id=3

> You won't tell what files created after running an .exe. Seeing what
> files are in a .zip file, even one wrapped with the self-extract .exe
> code, only shows you the files needed to do the INSTALL. It shows you
> nothing about what files actually get CREATED by the install.
>
> Use VMWare Server, VPC, ShadowSurfer, or Windows SteadyState to see
> what gets installed (provided you have a tool to log the current state
> and then show you the difference after the install).

Thanks for the info. You refreshed my memory and I recall that even the
filenames that are extracted are shortened versions of what is actually
installed.

What is the best tool that will create a snapshot (filename, version #,
date and time created) of all the OS files, and then do a compare for
changes afterward. I know Nirsoft.net has something similar, but that's
just for dll files.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-14-2007 04:59 PM

none <hmmm@hmmm.org> wrote:

>What is the best tool that will create a snapshot (filename, version #,
>date and time created) of all the OS files, and then do a compare for
>changes afterward. I know Nirsoft.net has something similar, but that's
>just for dll files.

InstallWatch
http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

--
Rice Field Art
http://www.frogview.com/show1.php?file=3234

Vanguard 08-14-2007 05:56 PM

"none" wrote in message

> "Vanguard" wrote:
>>
>> "hmmm" wrote ...
>>>
>>> I'm looking to see what files comprise the compacted exe file
>>> before
>>> I install it.

>> You won't tell what files created after running an .exe. Seeing
>> what
>> files are in a .zip file, even one wrapped with the self-extract
>> .exe
>> code, only shows you the files needed to do the INSTALL. It shows
>> you
>> nothing about what files actually get CREATED by the install.
>>
>> Use VMWare Server, VPC, ShadowSurfer, or Windows SteadyState to see
>> what gets installed (provided you have a tool to log the current
>> state
>> and then show you the difference after the install).

> Thanks for the info. You refreshed my memory and I recall that even
> the
> filenames that are extracted are shortened versions of what is
> actually
> installed.
>
> What is the best tool that will create a snapshot (filename, version
> #,
> date and time created) of all the OS files, and then do a compare
> for
> changes afterward. I know Nirsoft.net has something similar, but
> that's
> just for dll files.

The install program can create files, it can use the included files
along with other data to construct the *new* files created during the
install, or it can modify a file after extraction, even an .exe. Some
but not all files in the .zip file may end up in the installation.
Some files are not in the .zip file and are created or modified.

I use an old program called InstallWatch from epsilonSquared.com to
track changes to my system from an install. You take a snapshot
before, do the install, and then analyze the current state (after
install) against the snapshot. I don't bother loading it to use its
auto-detect mechanism to track installs. I just manually do a
snapshot, install, and do the analyze afterward. There might be
better programs around but this usually fits my need. This one hasn't
been updated in several years. ZSoft's Uninstaller is newer (more
recently updated) but its recorded log of system changes for analyzing
an install is much harder to read than the tree hierarchy shown in
InstallWatch. I just tried ZSoft Uninstaller in a VM using VMWare
Server and didn't care for it, plus I don't want an alternative
uninstaller.

Dustin Cook 08-15-2007 02:20 AM

> "none" wrote in message
>>
>> "Vanguard" wrote:
>>>
>>> "hmmm" wrote ...

>>> You won't tell what files created after running an .exe. Seeing
>>> what
>>> files are in a .zip file, even one wrapped with the self-extract
>>> .exe
>>> code, only shows you the files needed to do the INSTALL. It shows
>>> you
>>> nothing about what files actually get CREATED by the install.
>>>
>>> Use VMWare Server, VPC, ShadowSurfer, or Windows SteadyState to see
>>> what gets installed (provided you have a tool to log the current
>>> state
>>> and then show you the difference after the install).

>> Thanks for the info. You refreshed my memory and I recall that even
>> the
>> filenames that are extracted are shortened versions of what is
>> actually
>> installed.
>>
>> What is the best tool that will create a snapshot (filename, version
>> #,
>> date and time created) of all the OS files, and then do a compare
>> for
>> changes afterward. I know Nirsoft.net has something similar, but
>> that's
>> just for dll files.

> The install program can create files, it can use the included files
> along with other data to construct the *new* files created during the
> install, or it can modify a file after extraction, even an .exe. Some
> but not all files in the .zip file may end up in the installation.
> Some files are not in the .zip file and are created or modified.
>
> I use an old program called InstallWatch from epsilonSquared.com to
> track changes to my system from an install. You take a snapshot
> before, do the install, and then analyze the current state (after
> install) against the snapshot. I don't bother loading it to use its
> auto-detect mechanism to track installs. I just manually do a
> snapshot, install, and do the analyze afterward. There might be
> better programs around but this usually fits my need. This one hasn't
> been updated in several years. ZSoft's Uninstaller is newer (more
> recently updated) but its recorded log of system changes for analyzing
> an install is much harder to read than the tree hierarchy shown in
> InstallWatch. I just tried ZSoft Uninstaller in a VM using VMWare
> Server and didn't care for it, plus I don't want an alternative
> uninstaller.

Have you tried Sandboxie?

I find it's an invaluable tool for analyzing software.

--
Dustin Cook
Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2c

Vanguard 08-15-2007 06:28 AM

Re: Best utility for extracting exe files? Reshack or Zip Genius?

"Dustin Cook" <spamfilterineffect.see.sig@nowhere.com> wrote in
message news:Xns998CE424F858CHHI2948AJD832@69.28.186.121.. .
> "Vanguard" <vanguard@mail.invalid> wrote in
>
>> "none" wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the info. You refreshed my memory and I recall that
>>> even
>>> the
>>> filenames that are extracted are shortened versions of what is
>>> actually
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> What is the best tool that will create a snapshot (filename,
>>> version
>>> #,
>>> date and time created) of all the OS files, and then do a compare
>>> for
>>> changes afterward. I know Nirsoft.net has something similar, but
>>> that's
>>> just for dll files.

>> The install program can create files, it can use the included files
>> along with other data to construct the *new* files created during
>> the
>> install, or it can modify a file after extraction, even an .exe.
>> Some
>> but not all files in the .zip file may end up in the installation.
>> Some files are not in the .zip file and are created or modified.
>>
>> I use an old program called InstallWatch from epsilonSquared.com to
>> track changes to my system from an install. You take a snapshot
>> before, do the install, and then analyze the current state (after
>> install) against the snapshot. I don't bother loading it to use
>> its
>> auto-detect mechanism to track installs. I just manually do a
>> snapshot, install, and do the analyze afterward. There might be
>> better programs around but this usually fits my need. This one
>> hasn't
>> been updated in several years. ZSoft's Uninstaller is newer (more
>> recently updated) but its recorded log of system changes for
>> analyzing
>> an install is much harder to read than the tree hierarchy shown in
>> InstallWatch. I just tried ZSoft Uninstaller in a VM using VMWare
>> Server and didn't care for it, plus I don't want an alternative
>> uninstaller.
>>

> Have you tried Sandboxie?
>
> I find it's an invaluable tool for analyzing software.

Yep, got Sandboxie. However, I find virtual machines more reliable
and secure for testing installations of unknown software. Neither
Sandboxies or VMWare will tell you what got changed by an installtion.
You only get the option to undo whatever changes were made (by getting
rid of the VM).