Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using Internet on wireless network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5289-using-internet-on-wireless-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?= 12-29-2004 06:39 AM

Using Internet on wireless network

Hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop computer. Both is running winXP. I want to
know how to surf the internet using the laptop computer. The desktop is
connected to a wireless router. The laptop can connect to the network but
when I open IE it says 'cannot find server'. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

peter 12-30-2004 05:30 AM

Re: Using Internet on wireless network

Is the wireless router connected to a cable/asdl modem??
open XP's help&support and type in internet sharing
look at this website for more dteailed info
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
peter

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhbWVsbGE=?= 12-30-2004 06:45 AM

RE: Using Internet on wireless network

I assume you have never been able to get to the Internet on the laptop?
If the answer is "yes", then I have the following questions:
1. How is the laptop connected to internet (i.e. wireless card, e-net????)
2. What type of modem are you using (i.e. dialup, broadband)
3. Have you contacted your ISP to talk you through initial setup
instructions?
4. If you are familiar with the "DOS Prompt" you can use this to execute the
"PING" command. (i.e. ping www.microsoft.com) If you get "request time
out" you are not talking to the site
5. Do you have any firewall software running? If so you may want to
disable as
a test to see if this is stopping internet access. I have a 2WIRE DSL modem
which has built in firewall feature and don't really need additional software
protection.

I hope this gets you thinking about some things.

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?= 12-30-2004 05:29 PM

RE: Using Internet on wireless network

1. laptop is connected wirelessly (WiFi)
2. broadband modem

so what do i do ? thx for replying.

=?Utf-8?B?Z25vZWxt?= 12-30-2004 05:33 PM

Re: Using Internet on wireless network

its a wireless router and also adsl modem i think...

peter 12-31-2004 01:49 AM

Re: Using Internet on wireless network

go there and follow the instructions