Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Scan For Hardware Changes", other system functions, hang (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528890-scan-for-hardware-changes-other-system-functions-hang.html)

codemavens@gmail.com 08-13-2007 04:05 PM

"Scan For Hardware Changes", other system functions, hang

Hello,

Recently my Windows XP sp2 machine has been experiencing hangs when
performing system functions - like going into Device Manager and
selecting Scan For Hardware Changes, uninstalling programs (hangs
right at the end), even when I try to run a scandisk (hangs before the
scan starts). In all cases, the system is still responsive and I can
start other programs and do other things. It has also recently
started hanging on shut down - it finishes all of the shut down steps,
but then doesn't actually shut down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

codemavens@gmail.com 08-13-2007 04:09 PM

Re: "Scan For Hardware Changes", other system functions, hang

On Aug 13, 11:05 am, codemav...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently my Windows XP sp2 machine has been experiencing hangs when
> performing system functions - like going into Device Manager and
> selecting Scan For Hardware Changes, uninstalling programs (hangs
> right at the end), even when I try to run a scandisk (hangs before the
> scan starts). In all cases, the system is still responsive and I can
> start other programs and do other things. It has also recently
> started hanging on shut down - it finishes all of the shut down steps,
> but then doesn't actually shut down.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Oh, I've already scanned for spyware using AdAware 2007 and for
viruses using Kaspersky.

Thanks again!

Mark Mandell 08-13-2007 05:22 PM

<codemavens@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1187021158.617492.262980@b79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Recently my Windows XP sp2 machine has been experiencing hangs when
> performing system functions - like going into Device Manager and
> selecting Scan For Hardware Changes, uninstalling programs (hangs
> right at the end), even when I try to run a scandisk (hangs before the
> scan starts). In all cases, the system is still responsive and I can
> start other programs and do other things. It has also recently
> started hanging on shut down - it finishes all of the shut down steps,
> but then doesn't actually shut down.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

If you can determine the hard drive maker, to to its website and download
the testing utility for it. This will be downloaded onto a floppy or
burned to a CD.

This will then determine if you have bad sectors which could cause this.

codemavens@gmail.com 08-13-2007 05:27 PM

Re: "Scan For Hardware Changes", other system functions, hang

> If you can determine the hard drive maker, to to its website and download
> the testing utility for it. This will be downloaded onto a floppy or
> burned to a CD.
>
> This will then determine if you have bad sectors which could cause this.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm running checkdisk now. So far there
are no errors. Would the hard drive testing utility turn up
additional errors that checkdisk may not find?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-13-2007 05:36 PM

codemavens@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Recently my Windows XP sp2 machine has been experiencing hangs when
>performing system functions - like going into Device Manager and
>selecting Scan For Hardware Changes, uninstalling programs (hangs
>right at the end), even when I try to run a scandisk (hangs before the
>scan starts). In all cases, the system is still responsive and I can
>start other programs and do other things. It has also recently
>started hanging on shut down - it finishes all of the shut down steps,
>but then doesn't actually shut down.
>
>Any ideas?

Give User Profile Hive Cleanup a try and see what happens.
http://tinyurl.com/2h3yl
--
Hubble Pans Across Heavens to Harvest 50,000 Evolving Galaxies
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc.../image/e/warn/

codemavens@gmail.com 08-13-2007 07:32 PM

Re: "Scan For Hardware Changes", other system functions, hang

The CheckDisk fixed the problem. Thanks for the help!

Plato 08-14-2007 03:07 AM

codemavens@gmail.com wrote:

> > Recently my Windows XP sp2 machine has been experiencing hangs when
> > performing system functions - like going into Device Manager and
> > selecting Scan For Hardware Changes, uninstalling programs (hangs
> > right at the end), even when I try to run a scandisk (hangs before the
> > scan starts). In all cases, the system is still responsive and I can
> > start other programs and do other things. It has also recently
> > started hanging on shut down - it finishes all of the shut down steps,
> > but then doesn't actually shut down.

> Oh, I've already scanned for spyware using AdAware 2007 and for
> viruses using Kaspersky.

Try a few more free anti-virus scanners and a few more free anti-spyware
scannners.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/