Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528768-which-of-these-features-would-you-give-up-in-a-travel-camera.html)

RPS 08-13-2007 05:49 AM

Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
tells me it doesn't exit! Great.

So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
if it were your only camera:

1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
4. IS
5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
6. Optical View Finder.

OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?

[BTW... if I take out optical viewfinder, I am left with one choice
Lumix FZ18, which has not been reviewed yet and seems too big anyway.

If I give up the wide angle instead I am left with Canon G7, also large
but (barely) manageable. I could live with the size, but hate to give
up 28mm.

If I give up optical finder and settle for 100+ telephoto, then there
good pocketable choices: Lumix Lx2, LX1; Leica D-Lux3, D-Lux2.]

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Bob Williams 08-13-2007 07:05 AM

Re: Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

RPS wrote:
> I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
> if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> 4. IS
> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> 6. Optical View Finder.
>
> OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
> most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
>
> [BTW... if I take out optical viewfinder, I am left with one choice
> Lumix FZ18, which has not been reviewed yet and seems too big anyway.

The Lumix TZ3 lacks an optical finder and manual A or S controls.
But it is quite compact AND has a Leica 10X zoom (28-280mm)lens.
I so rarely use manual controls that for me it is a non-issue. YMMV.
I do like an optical finder but the TZ3 is reported to have a screen
that is bright and quite usable even in direct sunlite.
Bob Williams

Ron Hunter 08-13-2007 07:44 AM

RPS wrote:
> I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
> if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> 4. IS
> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> 6. Optical View Finder.
>
> OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
> most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
>
> [BTW... if I take out optical viewfinder, I am left with one choice
> Lumix FZ18, which has not been reviewed yet and seems too big anyway.
>
> If I give up the wide angle instead I am left with Canon G7, also large
> but (barely) manageable. I could live with the size, but hate to give
> up 28mm.
>
> If I give up optical finder and settle for 100+ telephoto, then there
> good pocketable choices: Lumix Lx2, LX1; Leica D-Lux3, D-Lux2.]
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
displays is pretty difficult.

RPS 08-13-2007 08:31 AM

Re: Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

: > 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
: > 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
: > 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
: > 4. IS
: > 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
: > 6. Optical View Finder.
: >
: > OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
: > most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?

: Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
: for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
: displays is pretty difficult.

Thanks. The camera meeting these criteria is Canon G7 (lacks #s 2,5).

Joseph Meehan 08-13-2007 11:28 AM

RPS wrote:
> I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel
> camera if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big
> pocket.

I would like light and small, but I find I usually carry my DSDR

> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.

While you can stitch a group of images if needed, I consider wide angle
a most important feature and seldom travel with less than 24mm or wider
equalivent.

> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)

I can live without this on most trips.

> 4. IS

I can live without it. Practice and a little knowledge can do a lot
here.

> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.

Since you can control one with the other.... Why Worry?

> 6. Optical View Finder.

Only if I must.

All of the above was based on my needs your may vary greatly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

tomm42 08-13-2007 12:28 PM

On Aug 13, 1:49 am, RPS <r...@null.void> wrote:
> I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
> if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> 4. IS
> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> 6. Optical View Finder.
>
> OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
> most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
>
> [BTW... if I take out optical viewfinder, I am left with one choice
> Lumix FZ18, which has not been reviewed yet and seems too big anyway.
>
> If I give up the wide angle instead I am left with Canon G7, also large
> but (barely) manageable. I could live with the size, but hate to give
> up 28mm.
>
> If I give up optical finder and settle for 100+ telephoto, then there
> good pocketable choices: Lumix Lx2, LX1; Leica D-Lux3, D-Lux2.]
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

OK, I'm going to take a little different tac. I have backpacked
through Belize with 2 Lieca M2s, a 24, I consider necessary this wide,
a 35mm and an 85mm, great photos. Canoed the Macal and Belize Rivers,
with the Leicas, great trip, just prior to going digital. Used a small
water resistant waist pack to hold everything. My solution for you
would be a Nikon D40(x) and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Nikon 55-200 VR.
Not an expensive kit, but light weight. Results would be far better
than any of the P&S cameras you have listed. You also have f2.8 from
17-50 (25-75mm). This is something very nice to have. A Pentax K100
would be an alternative, not that familiar with Pentax lenses. Also
light weight, in camera antishake. Another the Olympus E510. DSLRs
have better response than almost all of the P&S, even though these are
bottom of the line cameras you will get exellent results, and much
less noise in darkish conditions.

Tom

RG 08-13-2007 01:44 PM

"RPS" <rps@null.void> wrote in message
>I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
> if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> 4. IS
> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> 6. Optical View Finder.

Give the Nikon P5000 a look. With the wide angle and tele adapters, it
covers your list fairly well. Somewhat similar to the G7, but more compact.
Easily fits into a big pocket (without the adapters), and superb image
quality, if you keep the ISO low. I use it when I don't want to lug the
D200 around, and bought it based on your criteria of 1, 4, 5 and 6. I
wasn't as concerned with 2 and 3, so I haven't bothered with the adapters.

John Ortt 08-13-2007 03:00 PM

Re: Which of these features would you give up in a travel camera

"RPS" <rps@null.void> wrote in message
>I am looking for an all-purpose travel camera which I can always keep
> with me. I made a list of all the features I would want and DPreview
> tells me it doesn't exit! Great.
>
> So which of the following features would you give up in a travel camera
> if it were your only camera:
>
> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> 4. IS
> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> 6. Optical View Finder.
>
> OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
> most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
>
> [BTW... if I take out optical viewfinder, I am left with one choice
> Lumix FZ18, which has not been reviewed yet and seems too big anyway.
>
> If I give up the wide angle instead I am left with Canon G7, also large
> but (barely) manageable. I could live with the size, but hate to give
> up 28mm.
>
> If I give up optical finder and settle for 100+ telephoto, then there
> good pocketable choices: Lumix Lx2, LX1; Leica D-Lux3, D-Lux2.]
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I bought a Canon S3IS to go travelling as my Digital Ixus does not offer
enough flexibility and I simply don't have the room or weight allowance to
take my dSLR and lenses.

Another bonus of the S3IS is the incredible video performance, which means I
don't have to take the video camera. The downside is that they are huge so
you need lots of flash cards.

Returning to your original question:

> 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.

Definately not - one of the most important aspects for most travellers
(including me)

> 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.

Not essential to me, especially as I can buy wide converters for the few
times I do want wide-angle shots.

> 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)

Depending on your intended use this is an at-least figure! I want to do
some wildlife photography on my travels so the 435 equiv zoom on the S3 is
crucial.

> 4. IS

Very useful and essential over 200mm

> 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.

A camera without one or the other would limit your options severely but it
depends how much you like to use the manual modes...

> 6. Optical View Finder.

Nice to have but not an essential. I have got used to the S3 now. (It has
a nice feature where it zooms into a portion of the image to help manual
focus)

Anyway I hope that is usefual and that whatever you decide to purchase lives
up to your expectations.

All the best,

John

Dave Cohen 08-13-2007 03:56 PM

RPS wrote:
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>
> : > 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
> : > 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
> : > 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
> : > 4. IS
> : > 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
> : > 6. Optical View Finder.
> : >
> : > OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
> : > most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
>
> : Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
> : for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
> : displays is pretty difficult.
>
> Thanks. The camera meeting these criteria is Canon G7 (lacks #s 2,5).

If my #5 you mean shooting mode, you'd better re-read the spec sheet.
If you don't mind a wide angle adaptor, Canon A710IS is 6:1 zoom, small,
takes AA's, but G7 is a better camera if you can live with the size.
Dave Cohen

AlexZ 08-13-2007 05:24 PM

Dave Cohen <user@example.net> wrote:
: RPS wrote:
: > Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
: >
: > : > 1. Manageable size. Not necessarily light, but should fit a big pocket.
: > : > 2. At least 28mm at the wide end.
: > : > 3. Approx 200+ mm at the tele end. (No tripod.)
: > : > 4. IS
: > : > 5. Possibility of either aperture or shutter priority.
: > : > 6. Optical View Finder.
: > : >
: > : > OK, no such thing at present. Therefore which are one or two of the
: > : > most dispensable features in your experience and opinion?
: >
: > : Numbers 4 and 5, and probably 2. Good optical zoom is pretty important
: > : for travel pictures, and taking pictures in bright sun with most LCD
: > : displays is pretty difficult.
: >
: > Thanks. The camera meeting these criteria is Canon G7 (lacks #s 2,5).
:
: If my #5 you mean shooting mode, you'd better re-read the spec sheet.

Right. The G7 only lacks #2 (28mm), and maybe #1 (although it is
classified as "compact"), but does have manual controls.