Velocity Reviews

-   -   What is the life of Google's cache? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528638-what-is-the-life-of-googles-cache.html)

-Lost 08-12-2007 12:39 PM

What is the life of Google's cache?

When you do a Google search:

cache:http://www.google.com/

How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline. Google's
cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so... ?

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 08-12-2007 01:05 PM

Re: What is the life of Google's cache?

-Lost wrote:

> When you do a Google search:
>
> cache:http://www.google.com/

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(cache) isn't associated with any program."

> How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
> Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
> ?

Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
attempts to spider it and can't find it. But it will likely be available
forever at the Wayback Machine.

http://archive.org/

--
-bts

-Lost 08-12-2007 01:35 PM

Re: What is the life of Google's cache?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty's response:

> -Lost wrote:
>
>> When you do a Google search:
>>
>> cache:http://www.google.com/

> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
> (cache) isn't associated with any program."

*blank stare*

Um... "do a Google search?"

>> How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
>> Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
>> ?

> Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
> attempts to spider it and can't find it.

Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't tell me how long the cache will
remain though. ;)

> But it will likely be available forever at the Wayback Machine.
>
> http://archive.org/

I've thanked the heavens on many occasions for the Wayback Machine.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Whiskers 08-12-2007 02:09 PM

On 2007-08-12, -Lost <maventheextrawords@techie.com> wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty's response:
>
>> -Lost wrote:
>>
>>> When you do a Google search:
>>>
>>> cache:http://www.google.com/

>> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
>> (cache) isn't associated with any program."

> *blank stare*
>
> Um... "do a Google search?"

cache: isn't a protocol recognised by Beauregard's Firefox but his
news-reader seems to assume that it should be - so he gets an error
message when he tries to follow your 'link'.

There doesn't seem to be a generic form of URL for Google's cached pages;
you have to be specific eg
<http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...-usa.org/+onio
ns&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=opera>

>>> How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
>>> Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
>>> ?

>> Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
>> attempts to spider it and can't find it.

> Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't tell me how long the cache will
> remain though. ;)
>
>> But it will likely be available forever at the Wayback Machine.
>>
>> http://archive.org/

> I've thanked the heavens on many occasions for the Wayback Machine.

Being pessimistic and pedantic this afternoon, I'd prefer to see
'indefinitely' rather than 'forever' when refering to any archive.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Daave 08-12-2007 02:28 PM

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> -Lost wrote:
>
>> When you do a Google search:
>>
>> cache:http://www.google.com/

> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
> (cache) isn't associated with any program."

No, OP was mentioning Google's cache function, so you would need to put
cache:http://www.google.com/ in Google's search window, not your
browser's address bar!

This would be useful if a Web page were to be temporarily unavailable,
e.g.:

cache:http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/col_lilacChaser/index.html