Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy] (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528317-vista-is-offensive-my-review-lengthy.html)

deno 08-10-2007 03:50 PM

Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy]

By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.

I've only been using it for about a week on this new laptop, and
already there is a lot of software screwed up and not functioning
properly. I don't see that I've done anything to do this.

I've been using windows since 95, I'm by no means an expert, but
I've not had this much difficulty operating or maintaining other
windows versions, except in trying to get 95 to connect to the
internet.

These are my current problems. Pre-installed Norton Internet
Security, continually asking to update, regardless of it's
settings. It's interface has changed, w/o explanation. After
changing default settings then returning to them, the entire
interface has changed. Disabling it's firewall in preference to
using ZA, I can't even connect to WIFI at all. I can find no way
to unintall NIS. I'd really like to get rid of this in preference
to some less expensive and functional option.

Internet Explorer absolutely refuses to connect with even default
settings. Thank god for FF and K-Meleon.

I cannot figure out how to uninstall any IE add on, thinking I've
some how inadvertently caused this connection problem.

The only way I've found to disable the constant barrage of popups
of DUN while using WIFI is in the services.msc, Until it's been
re-enabled Windows can't find any DUN, if I need to switch back to
dialup. So you sure don't want to forget how you finally got rid
of it's incessant popups.

I cannot find anything about disabling useless and annoying tray
"information," balloons. Not even in a google search. Why is it
google is finding us less and less info as time passes? Anyone
else notice that?

Vista barely runs on the pre-installed one gig of memory, and of
course all memory slots are filled with the smallest chips
available, creating waste and hardware upgrade expense. [is this
what we want to teach our children about how the world should run?
lol] sigh. I mean, is it any wonder we are under attack from the
rest of the world?

It seems MS has found it necessary to change the GUI and
operability of at least some of my most commonly used window's
apps, windows explorer, [if you can even find it], and add/remove
apps. In some of these windows, I can't switch "views," to make
them more functional for me. In 'control panel' for example, I
can't find a way to switch to 'list' view, and only have large
icons as an option as far as I can find.

To cut this short, I already feel the need to do a clean
re-install of this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to
find out yesterday while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc!
My god what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said
if I don't backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself,
and something really gets screwed up, I have no option to
reinstall Vista as I bought it and as it came with this computer!
Is this true? It certainly wouldn't do me any good to back it
all up or make an image as it is now.

I hate microsoft so much for this. If I knew I could take any
version of Linux and easily connect using any method and feel
secured with a firewall and AV without being a total expert geek,
I'd absolutely do it right now. I'm so sick of this stuff of not
being able to be productive the way *I want to be.*

Thanks for any suggestions, Deno

olfart 08-10-2007 04:08 PM

Re: Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy]

"deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> wrote in message
> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>
> Snip
>
> To cut this short, I already feel the need to do a clean re-install of
> this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to find out yesterday
> while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
> that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc! My god
> what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said if I don't
> backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself, and something really
> gets screwed up, I have no option to reinstall Vista as I bought it and as
> it came with this computer! Is this true? It certainly wouldn't do me any
> good to back it all up or make an image as it is now.

The salesman told you to backup to a DVD and you didn't??
The salesman told you that you had no option to reinstall Vista???

And you bought it anyway?????

MS didn't screw you....
You screwed yourself

deno 08-10-2007 04:25 PM

olfart wrote:
> "deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>>
>> Snip
>>
>> To cut this short, I already feel the need to do a clean re-install of
>> this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to find out yesterday
>> while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
>> that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc! My god
>> what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said if I don't
>> backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself, and something really
>> gets screwed up, I have no option to reinstall Vista as I bought it and as
>> it came with this computer! Is this true? It certainly wouldn't do me any
>> good to back it all up or make an image as it is now.
>>

> The salesman told you to backup to a DVD and you didn't??
> The salesman told you that you had no option to reinstall Vista???
>
> And you bought it anyway?????
>
> MS didn't screw you....
> You screwed yourself

The salesman of the RAM told me this, not the salesman of the
laptop, and I can screw myself with or without MS help, but MS
definately facilitated that screwing where I could not do it on my
own. I suppose you either own MS stock, or work for them then?
Thanks for your valuable input.

olfart 08-10-2007 04:31 PM

> olfart wrote:
>> "deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> wrote in message
>>> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>>>
>>> Snip
>>>
>>> To cut this short, I already feel the need to do a clean re-install of
>>> this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to find out yesterday
>>> while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
>>> that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc! My god
>>> what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said if I don't
>>> backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself, and something
>>> really gets screwed up, I have no option to reinstall Vista as I bought
>>> it and as it came with this computer! Is this true? It certainly
>>> wouldn't do me any good to back it all up or make an image as it is now.
>>>

>> The salesman told you to backup to a DVD and you didn't??
>> The salesman told you that you had no option to reinstall Vista???
>>
>> And you bought it anyway?????
>>
>> MS didn't screw you....
>> You screwed yourself
>>

> The salesman of the RAM told me this, not the salesman of the laptop, and
> I can screw myself with or without MS help, but MS
> definately facilitated that screwing where I could not do it on my own. I
> suppose you either own MS stock, or work for them then? Thanks for your
> valuable input.

I have W98SE, Win2000, WinXP and Vista all running and I agree that Vista is
too bloated.
But when you bought your machine didn't you inquire about the ability and
method to repair of reinstall the O/S???
There may be a recovery partition on your HD or an option to burn a one time
DVD for use later.

Mara 08-10-2007 04:32 PM

Re: Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy]

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:25:00 -0500, deno <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com>
wrote:

<snip>
>The salesman of the RAM told me this, not the salesman of the
>laptop, and I can screw myself with or without MS help, but MS
>definately facilitated that screwing where I could not do it on my
>own. I suppose you either own MS stock, or work for them then?
>Thanks for your valuable input.

So buy a copy of XP and install it. Drivers might be a problem, but there are
usually ways to work around that.

--
Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.

deno 08-10-2007 04:50 PM

olfart wrote:
> "deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>>
>> Snip
>>
>> To cut this short, I already feel the need to do a clean re-install of
>> this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to find out yesterday
>> while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
>> that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc! My god
>> what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said if I don't
>> backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself, and something really
>> gets screwed up, I have no option to reinstall Vista as I bought it and as
>> it came with this computer! Is this true? It certainly wouldn't do me any
>> good to back it all up or make an image as it is now.
>>

> The salesman told you to backup to a DVD and you didn't??
> The salesman told you that you had no option to reinstall Vista???
>
> And you bought it anyway?????
>
> MS didn't screw you....
> You screwed yourself

I forgot to mention, I *could* screw back. I mean, I'm sure MS
hasn't neglected to notice that option. It's as if they almost
expect it I'd say. I'd bet a nickel to a dollar I can get my money
back returning this computer for a full refund, and that only
screws MS, the retailer, and every other windows purchaser that
comes after me. That's just one way of un-screwing myself for the
cost of gasoline to get there.

sittingduck 08-10-2007 05:08 PM

deno wrote:

> I forgot to mention, I *could* screw back. I mean, I'm sure MS
> hasn't neglected to notice that option. It's as if they almost
> expect it I'd say. I'd bet a nickel to a dollar I can get my money
> back returning this computer for a full refund, and that only
> screws MS, the retailer, and every other windows purchaser that
> comes after me. That's just one way of un-screwing myself for the
> cost of gasoline to get there.

Or you could download one of the dozens of XP + SP2 + Updates image files
that are posted in usenet and install that.
Then turn off most of the xp2 crap, and you will have a very nice OS.

Clogwog 08-10-2007 05:20 PM

Re: Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy]

"deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> schreef in bericht
> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>
> I've only been using it for about a week

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

deno 08-10-2007 05:28 PM

Clogwog wrote:
> [...]

>> this 'OS' and start over from the beginning, only to find out
>> yesterday while upgrading 512MB of RAM w/1GHz chip, lol,
>> that I can't do this. I only am supplied with an "upgrade" disc! My
>> god what have I gotten myself into? The compusa salesman said if I
>> don't backup everything on this laptop to DVD or CD myself, and
>> something really gets screwed up, I have no option to reinstall Vista
>> as I bought it and as it came with this computer! Is this true? It
>> certainly wouldn't do me any good to back it all up or make an image
>> as it is now.
>>
>> I hate microsoft so much for this. If I knew I could take any version
>> of Linux and easily connect using any method and feel secured with a
>> firewall and AV without being a total expert geek, I'd absolutely do
>> it right now. I'm so sick of this stuff of not being able to be

you existence has been noted and valued for what it is, only it
doesn't work as you'd hoped, therefore it's pretty much worthless.

WhzzKdd 08-10-2007 07:17 PM

Re: Vista is Offensive, my review [lengthy]

"deno" <"denodens[nospam]"@operamail.com> wrote in message
> By offensive, I mean anti-user, even hostile at times.
>
> I've only been using it for about a week on this new laptop, and already
> there is a lot of software screwed up and not functioning properly. I
> don't see that I've done anything to do this.
>

> Thanks for any suggestions, Deno

Don't blame MS. Sure, Vista is bloated, but that's not the problem.

Start with the notebook itself - which YOU decided to buy. It doesn't have
enough memory. Did you read the reviews on any legitimate web site, or ask
any experienced (not salespeople) users what specs you needed? (I'd have to
guess "not".) My laptop with Vista has been just fine with 2GB, even though
it's got a fairly slow CPU.

Second, get that Norton crap OFF of there (Control Panel, Programs and
Features). ALL of it. I'd say that to anyone, using any OS version, not just
Vista.

Third, if you've been mucking about in the settings, you've probably
exacerbated the connection problems yourself. However, IMO, that was
precipitated by having that Norton crap on there in the first place. When
that crap is on there, trying to make it work is only going to make it
worse.