Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do computer virus can cause account lockout? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t52803-do-computer-virus-can-cause-account-lockout.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?= 11-15-2005 07:14 AM

Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout threshold
to 10.

LRM 11-15-2005 07:41 AM

Re: Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
> that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout
> threshold
> to 10.

Actually I do remember a virus causing something like this. Check your lsass
process and see if you see it more than once and if the cpu usage is
unusually high. If this is the case, disconnect from the network and try to
log on again. If you don't notice the same slowness, and log on problems,
you need to make sure your virus defs are up to date and run a scan. I think
I had to wipe a few drives about 6 months ago with this. Also search the
Symantec web site for virus info from about 6 months ago.

Good luck

Kline Sphere 11-15-2005 08:00 AM

Re: Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

>> Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
>> that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout
>> threshold
>> to 10.

>Actually I do remember a virus causing something like this.

.... or it could be that the users accounts' are also being used to
start services etc, or the users are just plain stupid, or ...........

So, start by checking the logs.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

DST 11-15-2005 12:05 PM

Re: Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

Yes, there are viruses that try to spread via shares and that will do a
(small) dictionary attack when authentication is requested for the
share. This can cause an account lockout.

But a virus is not the first thing I would start looking for.

I've seen account lockouts because the user had typed his credentials
in a COM+ application and later changed his password without updating
the COM+ configuration.

DST

kpg 11-15-2005 02:32 PM

Re: Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

Jon <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> said something like

> Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout?
> There are some users that experience account lockout even I adjusted
> the account lockout threshold to 10.

Don't be so quick to blame viruses (viri?) for unexplained behavior,
understand the symptoms first. Viruses, bad sectors, and bad memory get
the blame when the troubleshooter doesn't fully understand the problem.
Always try to find a solution that eliminates theses, keeping in mind,
of course, that they CAN happen on occasion.

Consultant 11-15-2005 02:49 PM

Re: Do computer virus can cause account lockout?

check the security log on your dc, it will tell you what workstation(s) the
traffic is coming from. then you can check for stuff like services,
scheduled tasks, etc