Velocity Reviews

-   -   Very Hot Laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t527153-very-hot-laptop.html)

08-05-2007 08:55 PM

Very Hot Laptop

I have noticed lately that my laptop gets very hot -- so much so that one
risks of getting burned if it touches bare skin for any length of time.

I would thus like to know if anybody could recommend what to do to alleviate
this situation as it today automatically shut down because its internal
temperature was too high. The computer has a vent fan on the bottom and it
sits on a wooden table.

Is it true, by the way, that the vent fans on the bottom actually represent
a design flaw on grounds that these machines are not properly venting
themselves?

Thanks much.

Paul 08-05-2007 10:45 PM

Re: Very Hot Laptop

hounslow3@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have noticed lately that my laptop gets very hot -- so much so that one
> risks of getting burned if it touches bare skin for any length of time.
>
> I would thus like to know if anybody could recommend what to do to alleviate
> this situation as it today automatically shut down because its internal
> temperature was too high. The computer has a vent fan on the bottom and it
> sits on a wooden table.
>
> Is it true, by the way, that the vent fans on the bottom actually represent
> a design flaw on grounds that these machines are not properly venting
> themselves?
>
> Thanks much.

Do you remember how it worked when it was new ?

Was there decent airflow through the vent ?
How fast did the fan used to run ?
Can you hear the fan now ?

If the fan has stopped entirely, then your poor laptop is going to suffer.

If you have a cat or dog, that increases the chances that the
vents or fan are plugged with debris. Someone is going to have to
look inside the thing.

If you post back, please include the make and model number of the machine.

A good design, would vent on the side. If the unit is super-thin, then
horizontal flow may not be so easy to achieve. In that case, perhaps out
the bottom is the only practical alternative. But if the unit is designed
to sit in your lap, a bottom vent is not very smart.

Paul

babaloo 08-06-2007 12:04 AM

Re: Very Hot Laptop

Have you only recently decided that "laptop" implies you can actually work
with one of these on top of your lap?
The irony of the name "laptop" has always been that the things are too hot
to actually work with one of them sitting on your lap.
Some will get very hot even on a desk top with no obstruction to their
vents, depending on what you are trying to do.
While gaming "laptops" are available trying to play a 3d game with one of
these on your lap results in a trip to the local hospital burn unit.
I'm surprised there is no warning label on notebook computers or that there
have not been any lawsuits over this issue (actually the instruction books
all mention the heat thing).
In most laptops the fan comes on and off as needed but does not completely
cool the machine.
If your laptop is otherwise working properly but overheating you may need to
get a laptop cooler.
These things will bring the temperature down a few degrees but that's about
it. They just supply extra fans under the unit.

jinxy 08-06-2007 05:21 PM

Re: Very Hot Laptop

On Aug 5, 8:04 pm, "babaloo" <fac...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Have you only recently decided that "laptop" implies you can actually work
> with one of these on top of your lap?
> The irony of the name "laptop" has always been that the things are too hot
> to actually work with one of them sitting on your lap.
> Some will get very hot even on a desk top with no obstruction to their
> vents, depending on what you are trying to do.
> While gaming "laptops" are available trying to play a 3d game with one of
> these on your lap results in a trip to the local hospital burn unit.
> I'm surprised there is no warning label on notebook computers or that there
> have not been any lawsuits over this issue (actually the instruction books
> all mention the heat thing).
> In most laptops the fan comes on and off as needed but does not completely
> cool the machine.
> If your laptop is otherwise working properly but overheating you may need to
> get a laptop cooler.
> These things will bring the temperature down a few degrees but that's about
> it. They just supply extra fans under the unit.

We have a Toshiba Sat. that used to run really hot . I took it to work
and used the high pressure air hose and blew out the fans,back and
side vents and the heatsink. You should have seen the lint and dust
that came out. Now it runs fine and no more heat issue shutdowns. If
your heatsink is easy to get at take it out and give it a good
cleaning.
-J