Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compound File Unfragmenter? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t526426-compound-file-unfragmenter.html)

Martin @nohere.net 08-02-2007 09:41 AM

Compound File Unfragmenter?

Hi
I have a Compound File Unfragmenter [Unfrag.exe] from Ziff Davis about
1999
It unfrags compound files like Word & Excel, but it has stopped
working and I don't know why.

I have re-installed Unfrag and even downloaded again, but still no go
Anyone know of a similar freeware utility that can UNFRAG compound
files?
--
Martin

Vanguard 08-02-2007 02:03 PM

Re: Compound File Unfragmenter?

"Martin" wrote in message

> I have a Compound File Unfragmenter [Unfrag.exe] from Ziff Davis about
> 1999
> It unfrags compound files like Word & Excel, but it has stopped
> working and I don't know why.
>
> I have re-installed Unfrag and even downloaded again, but still no go
> Anyone know of a similar freeware utility that can UNFRAG compound
> files?

I'm still using Word 2002 and Excel 2002 (from MS Office XP). You
didn't mention what version you use. Guess you'll have to define what
is a "compound file" since a search on "compound" in the Word and Excel
help files produced no matches.

You might try asking in the microsoft.public.word.* and
microsoft.public.excel.* newsgroups if they know what you're talking
about and can recommend something for you.

Maybe this is what you are talking about for "compound file" otherwise
called an OLE Structured Storage File?
http://www.newobjects.com/pages/ndl/...F-OLEFiles.htm
http://www.codeproject.com/macro/ssf...&select=193999
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compoun..._Binary_Format

If so, maybe visiting the microsoft.public.*.ole* newsgroups would be
better suited. I did find http://www.flexhex.com/ (FlexHex) that lets
you edit OLE compound files. You could try their trial version to see
if it lets you yank out the streams for each object (i.e., to "flatten"
the compound file). I also found
http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=Pr...2NYBXEBH87R6GB
but that uses Java. I took a stab at seeing if download.com had
anything, searched on "ole compound file", and came up with
http://www.download.com/Compound-Fil...ml?tag=lst-0-1
but I didn't see a tool described to extract the streams, just analyze
the OLE compound files, like look at the indexes for the chained
streams.

Or is it this method of combining multiple files into one file
"envelope" by providing a proprietary structure within that can delimit
each "file" within?
http://kb.pinionsoftware.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=83

Martin @nohere.net 08-02-2007 03:28 PM

Re: Compound File Unfragmenter?

Hi Vanguard
Gosh you have certainly provided lots of info
I'm Using Office 2003

From Unfrag.exe Help:

"Most hard disks today contain document files created by Microsoft
Word, Microsoft Excel, and other applications that support Object
Linking and Embedding (OLE). Part of a spectrum of technologies known
as ActiveX, OLE is the software protocol that lets objects created by
one application appear in documents created by another. (A good
example is a Word document containing an Excel spreadsheet.)

Most such applications use compound files to store documents.
Internally, a compound file is organized into storages and streams, in
much the same way that a hard disk is organized into folders and
files.[...] fragmented compound files often consume disk space
needlessly. A typical Word file contains about 4K of 'slop,' even if
that file contains no embedded objects. Theoretically, its possible
for a compound file containing just a few kilobytes of actual data to
consume a megabyte or more of disk space.
Unfrag combats this problem by hunting down compound files and
unfragmenting them."
--
Regards
Martin

Martin @nohere.net 08-03-2007 02:37 PM

Re: Compound File Unfragmenter?

Hi vanguard
I'm coming to the conclusion that my C drive has no compound files to
unfrag! Perhaps that's why unfrag found nothing and dropped out
Well, It seems to be the only explanation I'm left with as
EcoSqueeze http://www.ecocom.com/eng/EcoSqueeze/ecosqueeze01.htm
found nothing either ?!"?!
--
Regards