Velocity Reviews

-   -   HD Indicator (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t526295-hd-indicator.html)

Jerry Knight 08-01-2007 08:27 PM

HD Indicator

I have windows XP Pro and 3.0 P4 cpu with 1.47 gb ram. Recently my hard
drive light stats on constant ly and never even flickers at all times, even
when computer is idle at desktop. What would cause this? All help will be
appreciated, thank you,

Another 08-01-2007 08:36 PM

Re: HD Indicator

Jerry Knight wrote:
> I have windows XP Pro and 3.0 P4 cpu with 1.47 gb ram. Recently my hard
> drive light stats on constant ly and never even flickers at all times, even
> when computer is idle at desktop. What would cause this? All help will be
> appreciated, thank you,

Use task manager or process explorer to see what is running. Scan for
spyware, malware, etc.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-01-2007 10:17 PM

Re: HD Indicator

"Jerry Knight" <jdk1@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have windows XP Pro and 3.0 P4 cpu with 1.47 gb ram. Recently my hard
>drive light stats on constant ly and never even flickers at all times, even
>when computer is idle at desktop. What would cause this? All help will be
>appreciated, thank you,

Google: Process Monitor
watch your disk activity in real time.

Might see your virus checker in action.
--

Experts Exchange should be removed from Google search results
http://tinyurl.com/2g45gr

tinybot2k 08-01-2007 11:17 PM

Re: HD Indicator

On Aug 1, 3:17 pm, Pennyw...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> "Jerry Knight" <j...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >I have windows XP Pro and 3.0 P4 cpu with 1.47 gb ram. Recently my hard
> >drive light stats on constant ly and never even flickers at all times, even
> >when computer is idle at desktop. What would cause this? All help will be
> >appreciated, thank you,

> Google: Process Monitor
> watch your disk activity in real time.
>
> Might see your virus checker in action.
> --
>
> Experts Exchange should be removed from Google search resultshttp://tinyurl.com/2g45grhttp://www.rustyrazorblade.com/index.php/2007/07/30/experts-exchange-...

You could be running low on memory. If you have memory intensive
applications that you are running, the OS will use "virtual memory" or
hard disk space to handle the extra memory demand. The Windows process
monitor will tell you if you've pegged your max memory limits. Google
desktop also has a few tools for monitoring memory usage.

Plato 08-02-2007 02:12 AM

Re: HD Indicator

Jerry Knight wrote:

> I have windows XP Pro and 3.0 P4 cpu with 1.47 gb ram. Recently my hard
> drive light stats on constant ly and never even flickers at all times, even
> when computer is idle at desktop. What would cause this? All help will be
> appreciated, thank you,

In theory, your hard drive light getting accessed is NOT a problem,
unless you have just recently installed XP or have some sort of
background app continually trying to, and possibly, accessing the
Internet.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/