Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to debug (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t526036-how-to-debug.html)

Thomas H. Lanier 07-31-2007 09:14 PM

How to debug

I'm trying to learn a little about VS 2008 and ASP.Net.

In trying to duplicate some of Scott Guthrie's examples using the new
LinqDataSource, I'm getting an error.
Input string was not in a correct format.
How would one go about debugging errors that occur with components such as
the LinqDataSource. In particular is there a way to trace the code executed
by a component such as the LinqDataSource?

Thanks

Jesse Houwing 07-31-2007 09:31 PM

Re: How to debug

* Thomas H. Lanier wrote, On 31-7-2007 23:14:
> I'm trying to learn a little about VS 2008 and ASP.Net.
>
> In trying to duplicate some of Scott Guthrie's examples using the new
> LinqDataSource, I'm getting an error.
> Input string was not in a correct format.
> How would one go about debugging errors that occur with components such as
> the LinqDataSource. In particular is there a way to trace the code executed
> by a component such as the LinqDataSource?
>
> Thanks

I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
closest you can get to the actual error.

Maybe it helps.

Jesse

Mark Rae [MVP] 07-31-2007 10:51 PM

Re: How to debug

"Jesse Houwing" <jesse.houwing@nospam-sogeti.nl> wrote in message

> I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
> they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
> closest you can get to the actual error.

Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Jesse Houwing 07-31-2007 11:02 PM

Re: How to debug

* Mark Rae [MVP] wrote, On 1-8-2007 0:51:
> "Jesse Houwing" <jesse.houwing@nospam-sogeti.nl> wrote in message
>
>> I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of
>> if they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint
>> the closest you can get to the actual error.

> Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

Are you serious or being sarcatic?

I was pretty serious. There usually are ways of avoiding the exception
all together (additional validation, different method overload etc). So
when an exception is thrown I either document that it gets thrown at
that codepoint once in a while and haven't found a way to clear them up
or I solve the issue.

Ohh and should you not be able to find the 'Exceptions...' menu item in
the debug menu (it sometimes seems to disappear) you can add it by
right-clicking the menu, choosing customize and dragging it back into
the menu.

Jesse

Mark Rae [MVP] 08-01-2007 08:43 AM

Re: How to debug

>>> I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
>>> they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
>>> closest you can get to the actual error.

>> Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

> Are you serious or being sarcatic?

Perfectly serious.

> I was pretty serious.

Indeed.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Jesse Houwing 08-01-2007 09:31 AM

Re: How to debug

* Mark Rae [MVP] wrote, On 1-8-2007 10:43:
> "Jesse Houwing" <jesse.houwing@nospam-sogeti.nl> wrote in message

>>> Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

>> Are you serious or being sarcatic?

> Perfectly serious.
>
>> I was pretty serious.

> Indeed.