Velocity Reviews

-   -   opening a window in a different browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t525676-opening-a-window-in-a-different-browser.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpIFNoYWh6YWQ=?= 07-30-2007 12:32 PM

opening a window in a different browser

Hi,
asp.net 2.0, ie6, opera 9.22

For various supportability reasons, we need to redirect a page to a url and
require that the target url should open in an Opera browser. The call is
simple

Response.Redirect(url, true);

It works fine if its all IE environment. but am wondering how can i specify
that the new window should open in Opera instead. Any page directives or
something?

regards,
Ali

Patrice 07-30-2007 12:41 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

Basically the idea is to open the web application in a particular browser
and then the whole application will be shown inside this browser.

You may want to explain what you are trying to do but if you want to open a
page in a another browser from a particular browser IMO this is not posisble
(plus it's likely it will cause problems such as sessions etc...)

You may want to explain what you are trying to do...

---
Patrice

"Ali Shahzad" <AliShahzad@discussions.microsoft.com> a 閏rit dans le message
de news: 31BD42C4-3AFC-4136-AE4A-4296B43CE877@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpIFNoYWh6YWQ=?= 07-30-2007 12:58 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

sure. The problem basically started with print and print preview
functionalities. w3c specifies page-break-after:avoid and
page-break-inside:avoid. this was very handy for us since we have to generate
pdfs from our pages and may also want printouts. Unfortunatley ie6 doesnt
support the 'avoid' spec! Opera on the other hand perfectly supports both. We
now have the option to either completely switch to Opera or to open just 1
(our custom preview page) in Opera. The overall app is working just fine with
IE6. the whole app is built with asp.net and is placed as a take pane in an
infopath form. So i just prefer that in general it should still use IE, but
when we need to preview the page, then it pops up in an Opera window, and
hence allowing us to get a nice print preview

Ali

Aidy 07-30-2007 01:17 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

You have to alter the link that goes to the page you are redirecting from
such that the page is opened in a new window.

Mark Rae [MVP] 07-30-2007 01:27 PM

"Aidy" <aidy@xxnoemailxx.com> wrote in message

> You have to alter the link that goes to the page you are redirecting from
> such that the page is opened in a new window.

That won't help in this case...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpIFNoYWh6YWQ=?= 07-30-2007 01:36 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

yup. I believe that will open a new window but in IE and not in Opera! Any
suggestions to how i can open the window in Opera?

Jesse Houwing 07-30-2007 02:19 PM

* Ali Shahzad wrote, On 30-7-2007 15:36:
> yup. I believe that will open a new window but in IE and not in Opera! Any
> suggestions to how i can open the window in Opera?

Firefox registers a special protocol handler called firefox://. Firefox
supports your page-break:avoid rule. You could create a link which
begins with that. But I'd strongly advise against it, with all the
security issues that are being caused by this protocol.

I'm not sure if Opera supports a similar protocol handler. A quick
Google search for opera:// didn't help.

Jesse

Mark Rae [MVP] 07-30-2007 02:38 PM

> yup. I believe that will open a new window but in IE and not in Opera!

Correct.

> Any suggestions to how i can open the window in Opera?

Not without some sort of client-side ActiveX control - I'd forget it if I
were you...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Patrice 07-30-2007 02:42 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

Humm...

My personal preference would be likely to avoid such a workaround. If the
app is cross browsers I would use Opera at least when printing is needed.
You could also see if this is solved in IE7 or if IE6 offers something
similar but different (and posisbkly detect IE and ask to use Opera for
printing as a workaround).

You could also consider create directly PDF files (likely a bit late at this
step as you already chosen the HTML route).

Note also that if the page opens in another browser the session is not
maintained. This could perhaps also cause for the workaround you are
trying...

--

de news: 23ED7F81-3267-462B-AA23-3D23DC10621B@microsoft.com...

chenhong 07-30-2007 03:04 PM

Re: opening a window in a different browser

I dont know exactly how to do what you ask.
But I have an idea.
You use javascript to run an external program.
Just hope the antivirus software wont think it's
a virus.

"Ali Shahzad" <AliShahzad@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息新闻:31BD42C4-3AFC-4136-AE4A-4296B43CE877@microsoft.com...