Velocity Reviews

-   -   Video CArd upgrade (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t525599-video-card-upgrade.html)

nyc kid 07-30-2007 01:24 AM

Video CArd upgrade

Hi all. I want to upgrade my Dell DIm 4600's vid card. Currently,
according to devicce manager, it has a Nvidia GEforce FX 5200 on PCI bus 1.
Im pretty sure this means its a pci bus for video (as opposed to agp). CAn
I use a PCI Expressx16 card with this system or only PCI Express x1??? TIA

Paul 07-30-2007 05:28 AM

Re: Video CArd upgrade

nyc kid wrote:
> Hi all. I want to upgrade my Dell DIm 4600's vid card. Currently,
> according to devicce manager, it has a Nvidia GEforce FX 5200 on PCI bus 1.
> Im pretty sure this means its a pci bus for video (as opposed to agp). CAn
> I use a PCI Expressx16 card with this system or only PCI Express x1??? TIA

It has got an AGP connector.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/techov10.jpg

More info here.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/sm/specs.htm

See "Technical Overview"
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/sm/index.htm

The chipset is 865PE. The AGP slot is up to 8X and should be able
to use just about any recent AGP card if you want. About the only
limitation, would be available 12V power and a suitable connector
for the end of the video card. (In some cases, an adapter cable may
be needed.)

You cannot use a PCI Express x16 card, as that slot type does not
exist on the board.

For examples of more powerful video cards, sort this list by price,
then scroll down near the end. You can find ATI X1950 AGP series cards
and there are also things like 7950GT AGP Nvidia cards. $260
to $270 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=48

If you are interested in spending that kind of money (on something
AGP and probably going to stay in that computer), reply back with
what is printed on the side of your supply. I may be able to
guess at whether the PSU has enough power or not, depending
on what you want to buy. Of particular interest are things
like 12V @ xx amps printed on the supply label - also the processor
type would be good to know (e.g. 3GHz Prescott).

For example, the 7950GT listed here, runs at about 60W in 3D mode.
The FX5200 you are currently using, would be 20W to 30W or so.
The new card would mean 30W or 40W more power, which isn't too
bad.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...e7950gt_3.html

The X1950 Pro near the bottom of this page, is about 66W.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...f7900gs_6.html

Paul

Travis McGee 07-30-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Video CArd upgrade

Say Paul, can you recommend one for my rig?

It's got a Roswill PSU, 450 W, plenty of leads. AMD 3000+ Barton, 1 gig of
crucial.

Mobo is MSI 6570E AGP 8x.
nvidea NfORCE2 ssp/nForce2 Ultra 400/nForce2 IGP 400mhz FSB.

Budget under $100, quiet as possible.

Thanks!

Paul 07-30-2007 07:00 PM

Re: Video CArd upgrade

Travis McGee wrote:
> Say Paul, can you recommend one for my rig?
>
> It's got a Roswill PSU, 450 W, plenty of leads. AMD 3000+ Barton, 1 gig of
> crucial.
>
> Mobo is MSI 6570E AGP 8x.
> nvidea NfORCE2 ssp/nForce2 Ultra 400/nForce2 IGP 400mhz FSB.
>
> Budget under $100, quiet as possible.
>
> Thanks!

On Newegg, there are 38 Rosewill supplies.

If it is a Rosewill like this one, it is spec'ed like an "arc welder".
5V @ 45A is a lot of current if you need it.

12V2 would power the processor. I see a 2x2 ATX12V connector on
the motherboard shown here, so that would come from 12V2.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/m...-6570E-030.jpg

12V1 is where the majority of a modern video card's power would
come from. The spec is 12V1 @ 17A. Which is enough to run a
pretty big video card. A 70W video card wouldn't be a problem.
(Some current is used by disk drives and fans and the like,
but there are still a lot of amps left.)

This one is $99 after rebate, and in terms of power draw,
it isn't too bad. (You could probably run two or three of
these.) It should run cooler than the more expensive
ATI 1950Pro.

XFX PVT73AUDF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X

Note that there will be some DX-10 AGP cards. Eventually...
The only problem with them, is the DX-10 games will be
so resource hungry, no AGP DX-10 card will be able to play
them worth a damn :-) It'll be an "AGP slide show".

Paul