Velocity Reviews

-   -   Error Messae: Windows not Genuine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t525086-error-messae-windows-not-genuine.html)

Tom 07-27-2007 02:21 AM

Error Messae: Windows not Genuine

Two years ago, I bought a Sony PC at an estate sale that had windows XP
professonal installed.. Recently the "Windows not genuine" message started
showing up. I am sure the person I bought it from installed a pirated copy
of the XP Professional software on the PC. The PC has a sticker showing
that it came with the XP home edition. Is there any way to get back to the
home edition (which has been paid for) without buying a retail copy?

My daughter is using the PC and the features of XP profesional are not
needed; XP home would be just fine.

The PC is working fine; however, along with the not genuine message is a
statementr that she is not elgible for updates from Microsoft

No, I did not get any dsks with the PC so I cannot go back to store
settings.

There is a button that says get genuine. Does anyone know what happens if
you start down that path?

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Tom D.
Erro

Ragnar 07-27-2007 09:26 AM

Re: Error Messae: Windows not Genuine

Tom wrote:
> Two years ago, I bought a Sony PC at an estate sale that had windows
> XP professonal installed.. Recently the "Windows not genuine"
> message started showing up. I am sure the person I bought it from
> installed a pirated copy of the XP Professional software on the PC.
> The PC has a sticker showing that it came with the XP home edition. Is
> there any way to get back to the home edition (which has been paid
> for) without buying a retail copy?
> My daughter is using the PC and the features of XP profesional are not
> needed; XP home would be just fine.
>
> The PC is working fine; however, along with the not genuine message
> is a statementr that she is not elgible for updates from Microsoft
>
> No, I did not get any dsks with the PC so I cannot go back to store
> settings.
>
> There is a button that says get genuine. Does anyone know what
> happens if you start down that path?
>
> Any Ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Tom D.
> Erro

Your XP Pro installation COULD have been paid for but was simply not
registered online (this is possible with XP Pro but not AFAIK with XP Home).

What has happened is that you have downloaded all updates from time to time
including one called 'Windows Genuine Advantage'. This update checks your
PC for a registered version of XP and (if it does not find it) will prevent
further updates or other support.

It is possible to get rid of WGA and revert to the previous state of
affairs. If you know exactly when the 'problem' started then I think you can
simply revert to a previous Restore state. I have not attempted this so
don't take my word for it - Google for advice before trying it.

If it does not work then Google for 'removing Windows Genuine Advantage' and
read the instructions carefully before trying anything.

If you do succeed in removing WGA then obviously you must switch off Auto
Update and only download updates manually in future, keeping a sharp lookout
for Microsoft's attempts to make you install WGA again.

To answer your question about reverting to XP Home, the answer is NO unless
Win XP Pro was installed as a dual boot arrangement.

HTH
Ragnar