Velocity Reviews

-   -   Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t522284-managing-system-services-from-remote-computer-with-gpmc.html)

Nathan 07-16-2007 12:20 PM

Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC

Hi,

We are running Win2k3 x64 as a TS and the GPMC isn't supported.

We have a need to allow a single user to be able to start/stop a couple of
services for an application installed on the server. This worked ok on our
32bit TS install as we could load the GPMC and edit the services.

So my question is, how can I use the GPMC to manage system services on a
remote computer so I can allow this user to manage these services?

TIA

Nathan

Mark Heitbrink [MVP] 07-16-2007 12:22 PM

Re: Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC

Hi,

Nathan schrieb:
> We are running Win2k3 x64 as a TS and the GPMC isn't supported.

Simply install the GPMC it on XP or 2003 (x86).

Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
Blog: gpupdate.spaces.live.com - english

Nathan 07-16-2007 12:32 PM

Re: Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC

Hi Mark,

I have done this, but how can I show the services that are installed on the
remote computer?

When I open the GPO it only shows the services from the machine that I am
viewing the GPO on.

Nathan

Mark Heitbrink [MVP] 07-16-2007 01:03 PM

Nathan schrieb:
> I have done this, but how can I show the services that are installed on the
> remote computer?
> When I open the GPO it only shows the services from the machine that I am
> viewing the GPO on.

- create a GPO, not linked
- edit a local service, no matter which one
- open the created GptTmpl.inf with an editor (notepad)
- remove the entry or replace bei yours
- you have to use the Name from registry, not the Displayname
- save it on your desktop
- import the *.inf on "Security Settings" -> Context menu -> Import
Done.

They will be displayed with name you typed in.

Alterntative:
- Use the system, with the installed services
- MMC -> SnapIn "Security TEmplates"
- create a new on, edit the services in the UI
- save *.inf
- import into GPO like in the example above.

Perhaps a littel bit easier, because you can edit the settings
in the UI, especially much easier if you are not only define
the startoptions, but security settings.

Mark

Roger Abell [MVP] 07-16-2007 02:45 PM

Re: Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC

If you set service permissions this way, do it from a W2k3, not an
XP (unless you have obtained and applied the post-SP2 patch for
XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894794 )

Since this may be a one-time event, it might just be more simple
to set the permissions with the sc utility using the sdshow action
to get the current permissions, and then adding an ACE for the
desired grantee and applying with sdset)

Roger

Nathan 07-18-2007 06:02 AM

Re: Managing system services from remote computer with GPMC

Thanks guys,

I will give this a go.