Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is this possible (wireless networking bridge question) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5222-is-this-possible-wireless-networking-bridge-question.html)

spodosaurus 12-20-2004 11:22 AM

Is this possible (wireless networking bridge question)

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
wireless network card and a wired card. Both computers are running WinXP
Home SP2. The catch is, that the computer that will be acting as the
bridge (the one with two cards, wired and wireless) connects through a
router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:

Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card

So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
make a connection sort of deal?

TIA,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus 12-20-2004 11:54 AM

Re: Is this possible (wireless networking bridge question)

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
> network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
> wireless network card and a wired card. Both computers are running WinXP
> Home SP2. The catch is, that the computer that will be acting as the
> bridge (the one with two cards, wired and wireless) connects through a
> router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:
>
> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
>
> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
> through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
> and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
> make a connection sort of deal?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ari

Update:

I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step closer.
Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:

1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using its
manufacturer's software
3. re-created the bridge
4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to receive
an IP automatically

It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
to the Internet.

Cheers,

spodosaurus 12-20-2004 01:44 PM

spodosaurus wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
>> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
>> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. Both computers
>> are running WinXP Home SP2. The catch is, that the computer that will
>> be acting as the bridge (the one with two cards, wired and wireless)
>> connects through a router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:
>>
>> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
>> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
>>
>> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
>> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
>> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a
>> two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ari
>>

> Update:
>
> I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step closer.
> Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:
>
> 1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
> 2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using its
> manufacturer's software
> 3. re-created the bridge
> 4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to receive
> an IP automatically
>
> It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
> router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
> assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
> to the Internet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari

Tracert fails at the first hop, by the way. So I've got the router
sending the IP to the remote computer through the bridge, but that's it.
Also, there's no firewall turned on for either the remote computer or
the bridge.

spodosaurus 12-20-2004 05:04 PM

spodosaurus wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> spodosaurus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
>>> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
>>> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. Both
>>> computers are running WinXP Home SP2. The catch is, that the computer
>>> that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two cards, wired and
>>> wireless) connects through a router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:
>>>
>>> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
>>> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
>>>
>>> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
>>> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
>>> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like
>>> a two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Ari
>>>

>> Update:
>>
>> I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step
>> closer. Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:
>>
>> 1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
>> 2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using
>> its manufacturer's software
>> 3. re-created the bridge
>> 4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to
>> receive an IP automatically
>>
>> It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
>> router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
>> assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
>> to the Internet.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ari
>>

> Tracert fails at the first hop, by the way. So I've got the router
> sending the IP to the remote computer through the bridge, but that's it.
> Also, there's no firewall turned on for either the remote computer or
> the bridge.
>
> Ari

I had to enable compatibility mode for the bridged wireless adapter, as
described here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april22.mspx

This also resulted in my wireless adapter completely disappearing, even
after a restart, and so I had to uninstall the drivers, reinstall the
drivers, disconnect the wireless usb adapter, restart the computer,
reconnect the wireless usb adapter, set it to ad-hoc mode again,
recreate the vridge, and check to make sure that compatibility mode was
still enabled (netsh bridge show a).

My problem now is that only one computer can connect at a time to the
bridge in this manner (I tested out a second computer with a wireless
NIC and it ended up with the same IP address as the one I was trying to
get working, and so sort of gummed up the works).

But for tonight, that's enough.

HTH someone else, too,