Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dual Boot question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t521800-dual-boot-question.html)

August@yahoo.com 07-13-2007 08:56 PM

Dual Boot question

Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

Ron Martell 07-13-2007 09:41 PM

Re: Dual Boot question

August@yahoo.com wrote:

>Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
>program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
>w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
>to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
>Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

You will need a 3rd party boot manager utility such as BootItNG from
http://www.bootitng.com

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

WhzzKdd 07-13-2007 11:02 PM

Re: Dual Boot question

<August@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
> program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
> w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
> to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
> Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

An alternate solution would be a "virtual OS". I've been using MS Virtual PC
2007
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx)
for some of my issues (XP stuff that won't run on Vista). There are other
packages available as well, such as VMWare (I believe this is what you would
want: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/).

The one issue that could cause problems would be what I'd call "hardware
reliance". If your software doesn't run because of software issues, you
should be fine this way. But if your software doesn't run because it is,
say, writing direct to hardware ports (like direct to a printer, trying to
bypass the OS), then the virtual OS may not work for you.

So you install the VM or VPC software on W2K, and then install W9x as a
virtual OS. Then put your MS-DOS program into that virtual OS. In fact, you
might even be able to skip the W9x if you have DOS setup floppies - make
THAT the virtual OS. I wanted to try that myself, but I don't have a floppy
drive in my laptop, so I've got to play some tricks to get that setup
tested.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 07-14-2007 12:00 AM

Re: Dual Boot question

August@yahoo.com wrote:

>Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
>program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
>w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
>to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
>Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

Depending upon the program DOSBOX might be easier.
It's a DOS emulator, I use it to play some of the older games.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

--
Fractal Seashore
http://tinyurl.com/39959n