Velocity Reviews

-   -   STARTUP PROBLEM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t52178-startup-problem.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QUpFSERBTg==?= 06-24-2005 09:55 PM

STARTUP PROBLEM

After the installlation of windows 2000 professional on the second partition
of my hard disk with previous installation of windows server 2003,trying to
boot the server 2003, I receive this message "Windows could not start because
the following file is missing or corrupt:\Windows\system32\config\systemd"

catwalker63 06-24-2005 10:11 PM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

"=?Utf-8?B?QUpFSERBTg==?=" <AJEHDAN@discussions.microsoft.com> prattled
ceaslessly in news:7EE71BC0-AAB3-4785-8378-E6ABC1A7F5F8@microsoft.com:

> After the installlation of windows 2000 professional on the second
> partition of my hard disk with previous installation of windows server
> 2003,trying to boot the server 2003, I receive this message "Windows
> could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:\Windows\system32\config\systemd"

For dual boot, install the older OS first, then the newer OS.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

Ben Smith 06-25-2005 09:31 AM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

In article <Xns967F9A8DD8D3catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.13 6>,
_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...
> Subject: Re: STARTUP PROBLEM
> From: catwalker63 <_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?QUpFSERBTg==?=" <AJEHDAN@discussions.microsoft.com> prattled
> ceaslessly in news:7EE71BC0-AAB3-4785-8378-E6ABC1A7F5F8@microsoft.com:
>
> > After the installlation of windows 2000 professional on the second
> > partition of my hard disk with previous installation of windows server
> > 2003,trying to boot the server 2003, I receive this message "Windows
> > could not start because the following file is missing or
> > corrupt:\Windows\system32\config\systemd"
> >

> For dual boot, install the older OS first, then the newer OS.

Really? Why is this?

catwalker63 06-25-2005 05:27 PM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

Ben Smith <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
news:MPG.1d26c45c4c947ff39897a3@msnews.microsoft.c om:

> In article <Xns967F9A8DD8D3catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.13 6>,
> _catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...
>> Subject: Re: STARTUP PROBLEM
>> From: catwalker63 <_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>>
>> "=?Utf-8?B?QUpFSERBTg==?=" <AJEHDAN@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> prattled ceaslessly in
>>
>> > After the installlation of windows 2000 professional on the second
>> > partition of my hard disk with previous installation of windows
>> > server 2003,trying to boot the server 2003, I receive this message
>> > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
>> > corrupt:\Windows\system32\config\systemd"
>> >

>> For dual boot, install the older OS first, then the newer OS.
>>

> Really? Why is this?

From Server 2003 help files:

"Updated: January 21, 2005

Computers that contain Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003

You can set up a server so that it contains both Windows 2000 and
Windows Server 2003. If you plan to do this, note the following:

• Install each operating system on a different partition or, for dynamic
disks, on a different disk, and install the applications used with an
operating system on the same disk or partition with it. If an
application is used with two different operating systems, install it in
two places.

• Windows Server 2003 must be installed last. Otherwise, important files
that are needed for starting Windows Server 2003 will be overwritten.

• If the computer participates in a domain, use a different computer
name for each installation. Because a unique security identifier (SID)
is used for each installation on a domain, the computer name for each
installation must be unique, even for multiple installations on the same
computer.

• If you use the Encrypting File System (EFS) on a computer containing
Windows 2000 and a product in the Windows Server 2003 family, the
encrypted files will not be readable between the different installations
unless you take one of the following approaches:

• One approach is to ensure that all the installations are in the same
domain and that the user of these installations has a roaming profile.

• Another approach is to export the user's file encryption certificate
and associated private key from one installation and import it into the
other installations. "

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

Ben Smith 06-26-2005 04:03 AM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

In article <Xns96806A50DB52Fcatwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.1 36>,
_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...
> Ben Smith <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
> news:MPG.1d26c45c4c947ff39897a3@msnews.microsoft.c om:
>
> > In article <Xns967F9A8DD8D3catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.13 6>,
> > _catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...
> >> Subject: Re: STARTUP PROBLEM
> >> From: catwalker63 <_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com>
> >> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
> >>
> >> "=?Utf-8?B?QUpFSERBTg==?=" <AJEHDAN@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> prattled ceaslessly in

> >> For dual boot, install the older OS first, then the newer OS.
> >>

> > Really? Why is this?

> From Server 2003 help files:
>
> "Updated: January 21, 2005
>
> Computers that contain Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
>
> You can set up a server so that it contains both Windows 2000 and
> Windows Server 2003. If you plan to do this, note the following:
>
> • Install each operating system on a different partition or, for dynamic
> disks, on a different disk, and install the applications used with an
> operating system on the same disk or partition with it. If an
> application is used with two different operating systems, install it in
> two places.
>
> • Windows Server 2003 must be installed last. Otherwise, important files
> that are needed for starting Windows Server 2003 will be overwritten.

Intersting. I did not know this.

catwalker63 06-26-2005 07:16 PM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

Ben Smith <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
news:MPG.1d27c8e348aebbac9897a8@msnews.microsoft.c om:

> In article <Xns96806A50DB52Fcatwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.1 36>,
> _catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...
>> Ben Smith <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
>> news:MPG.1d26c45c4c947ff39897a3@msnews.microsoft.c om:
>>
>> > In article <Xns967F9A8DD8D3catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.13 6>,
>> > _catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com says...

>> > Really? Why is this?

>> From Server 2003 help files:
>>
>> "Updated: January 21, 2005
>>
>> Computers that contain Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
>>
>> You can set up a server so that it contains both Windows 2000 and
>> Windows Server 2003. If you plan to do this, note the following:
>>
>> • Install each operating system on a different partition or, for
>> dynamic disks, on a different disk, and install the applications used
>> with an operating system on the same disk or partition with it. If an
>> application is used with two different operating systems, install it
>> in two places.
>>
>> • Windows Server 2003 must be installed last. Otherwise, important
>> files that are needed for starting Windows Server 2003 will be
>> overwritten.
>>

> Intersting. I did not know this.

With virtual wear, I don't see much point in dual boot anymore but I
remembered this from the server and professional exams.

Sam 06-27-2005 01:12 PM

Re: STARTUP PROBLEM

Remember this rool. Older OS firstttttttttttttttttttt..

Also you might be able to recover server 2003 by just copying
ntdetect.com and ntldr file from windows server 2003 CD.

Good Luck

Frisbee® 06-27-2005 04:04 PM

And today's GOLD STAR is awarded to (Was Re: STARTUP PROBLEM)

"Ben Smith" <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d27c8e348aebbac9897a8@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> Intersting. I did not know this.

Catwalker, you go, girl.

JaR 06-27-2005 05:51 PM

Re: And today's GOLD STAR is awarded to (Was Re: STARTUP PROBLEM)

In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, kpg spewed across the ether:

> Now this is scary.
>
> I read Catwalker's comments this morning at 8AM, was duly impressed,
> then went about my business.
>
> At lunch (now) I thought I would come on in and drop a "you go girl"
> on the thread...
>
> That's extraordinary.
>
> k "esp" g

Even more scary is you seem to have teleported yourself into the future.

</fx="twilightzone.mid>

--
JaR
Thug 10110

catwalker63 06-27-2005 05:51 PM

Re: And today's GOLD STAR is awarded to (Was Re: STARTUP PROBLEM)

"Frisbee®" <billLASTINIT@dasi-software.com> prattled ceaslessly in news:
#JzLsHzeFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> "Ben Smith" <benjaminwsmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1d27c8e348aebbac9897a8@msnews.microsoft.c om...