Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT - Malware experience (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t521229-ot-malware-experience.html)

Adrienne Boswell 07-11-2007 08:11 PM

OT - Malware experience

I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
that IE was off limits.

Three days to fix this. Scarey.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

SAZ 07-11-2007 08:45 PM

Re: OT - Malware experience

In article <Xns996A862F26A5Aarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
arbpen@yahoo.com says...
> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
> came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
> virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
> installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
> that IE was off limits.
>
> Three days to fix this. Scarey.

IE is partially to blame, but the viruses are the fault of a missing or
outdated anti-virus program.

Arne 07-11-2007 09:09 PM

Re: OT - Malware experience

Once upon a time *SAZ* wrote:
> In article <Xns996A862F26A5Aarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> arbpen@yahoo.com says...
>> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
>> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
>> came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
>> virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
>> installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
>> that IE was off limits.
>>
>> Three days to fix this. Scarey.
>>

> IE is partially to blame, but the viruses are the fault of a missing or
> outdated anti-virus program.

And how many other computers was infected by the daughter's computer?

There should be a law against unprotected computers and computers who
infect others! ;)

--
/Arne

Chris F.A. Johnson 07-11-2007 09:14 PM

Re: OT - Malware experience

On 2007-07-11, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
> came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
> virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
> installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
> that IE was off limits.
>
> Three days to fix this. Scarey.

You could have installed GNU/Linux in a couple of hours or less.

Author:

cwdjrxyz 07-12-2007 01:08 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

On Jul 11, 3:11 pm, Adrienne Boswell <arb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
> came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
> virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
> installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
> that IE was off limits.
>
> Three days to fix this. Scarey.

To many, a computer is now just another home appliance. It is expected
to work properly as delivered. Many do not know much about how it
works and do not care to know. A new major brand name computer usually
comes with some sort of trial virus protection these days. However
many likely do not pay for it after the trial period ends. In a few
years the computer then often becomes very slow and those, who do not
have a friend such as you, assume it is worn out or outmoded and buy a
new computer. If you have to hire someone to spend the required time
to evict all of the bugs, you often would pay about as much as many
used PCs are worth. However the hackers have become better and more
numerous in recent years, and the computer gets infected and slows
down much faster than often was the case in the past. Many would balk
at replacing a computer only 1 or 2 years old. This may force some
people to reconsider how they use a computer and paying for virus
protection software. Actually there is free virus protection software
that works fairly well. Some of the broadband isps are now pushing and
providing such software. For example ATT/Yahoo DHL does and makes
users of their service aware of it from time to time. Also Yahoo Mail
has fairly good virus scan software included in their free e-mail
service, and they scan all attachments before opening. This likely
prevents many virus and other problems from getting downloaded to less-
than-careful computer owners.

andrew 07-12-2007 01:25 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

On 2007-07-11, Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and Destroy
> came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies. The anti-
> virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything cleaned up,
> installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default). Then I told them
> that IE was off limits.

Another good reason to leave Windows behind? The Operating System /
Default browser should never be that insecure.

Andrew

--
Andrew's Corner
http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

Neredbojias 07-12-2007 04:31 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:11:27
GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:

> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and
> Destroy came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies.
> The anti- virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got everything
> cleaned up, installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera (default).
> Then I told them that IE was off limits.
>
> Three days to fix this. Scarey.

I have good and current anti-virus software, but what are these 1401
malware programs you're talking about? Will using something like Ad-Aware
regularly prevent such things? Firefox is my favorite browser, but at
times I have to use ie (6) for various reasons.

--
Neredbojias
A self-made man who worships his creator

Adrienne Boswell 07-12-2007 05:30 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neredbojias
<neredbojias@gmail.com> writing in
news:Xns996ADB0D2AAD7nanopandaneredbojias@198.186. 190.165:

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 11 Jul 2007
> 20:11:27 GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
>
>> I have a good friend who asked me to come out and take a look at her
>> daughter's computer because it was really slow. Spybot Search and
>> Destroy came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies.
>> The anti- virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans. I got
>> everything cleaned up, installed a Hosts manager, Firefox and Opera
>> (default). Then I told them that IE was off limits.
>>
>> Three days to fix this. Scarey.

> I have good and current anti-virus software, but what are these 1401
> malware programs you're talking about? Will using something like
> Ad-Aware regularly prevent such things? Firefox is my favorite
> browser, but at times I have to use ie (6) for various reasons.

I use AVG Free from Grisoft - been using it for years, IIRC, I heard
about it here in alt.html many, many moons ago. It runs a complete check
every night.

As far as malware, I use Spybot Search and Destroy. It seems to do
better than Lavasoft. It runs a bot/ware check every Saturday night.

Here are some of the preventative measures I use:
1. Hosts file with DNS Client disabled - there's no place like 127.0.0.1.
I don't get to see a lot of adverts, I miss a lot of third party cookies,
and I don't get to go to a lot of sites (gambling, porn, etc.) that I
don't care about anyway. Of course, I could edit the hosts file, or
disable it if I _want_ to go somewhere strange. I just got Hosts Manager
from <http://www.abelhadigital.com/> . Very nice program.
2. I use Spyware Blaster
<http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>, and I keep it up
to date.
3. I use Sunbelt Personal firewall (used to be Kerio). I like it much
more than others because it's not memory hungry, and it also alerts me if
one program is trying to start another.
4. StartUp Monitor and StartUp Control Panel from Mike Lin
<http://www.mlin.net/>. Startup Monitor sits nicely waiting to stop
anything the wants to change the startup options (Adobe, Quicktime, etc
all try to have themselves loaded at startup). Startup Control Panel is
great for managing what happens on startup.

All of the programs I use have little footprints. I don't usually like
using suites, and I stear very clear from Norton - it's a PITA to try to
remove and uses waaaaayyyy too much memory.

Well, those are my recommendations. I've been doing things like this for
a long time, and I've never had a virus or malware problem. I hope my
list will help someone else.

John Hosking 07-12-2007 06:00 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:11:27
> GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
>
>> ...Spybot Search and
>> Destroy came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies.
>> The anti- virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans....

> I have good and current anti-virus software, but what are these 1401
> malware programs you're talking about?

Well, she said "1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies." To me,
this is like saying, "New York Police arrested 1,401 rapists and
litterers." A distinction between the two would have been useful.

I presume the majority of the 1401 items Adrienne found were cookies.
Malware needs careful removal but cookies can be deleted by even my
least-technical supportees, even in IE. It's nice that Spybot S&D finds
the "tracking cookies," but I don't believe they belong in the same
category as malware. Otherwise the terrorists have won. ;-)

--
John

Adrienne Boswell 07-12-2007 07:34 AM

Re: OT - Malware experience

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Hosking
<John@DELETE.Hosking.name.INVALID> writing in news:4695c398$1_1
@news.bluewin.ch:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 11 Jul 2007

20:11:27
>> GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
>>
>>> ...Spybot Search and
>>> Destroy came up with 1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies.
>>> The anti- virus came up with 89 viruses and trojans....

>> I have good and current anti-virus software, but what are these 1401
>> malware programs you're talking about?

> Well, she said "1,401 malware programs and/or tracking cookies." To me,
> this is like saying, "New York Police arrested 1,401 rapists and
> litterers." A distinction between the two would have been useful.

There were about 20 malware programs, 20 BHOs, a few browser hijackers,
and the rest were cookies.

One of the malware programs was a virus/spyware remover/firewall program
that my friend paid for. She's disputing it with the bank, and they are
issuing her a new card. I told her to watch her credit report for signs
of identity theft.

> I presume the majority of the 1401 items Adrienne found were cookies.
> Malware needs careful removal but cookies can be deleted by even my
> least-technical supportees, even in IE. It's nice that Spybot S&D finds
> the "tracking cookies," but I don't believe they belong in the same
> category as malware. Otherwise the terrorists have won. ;-)

Actually, I don't mind _some_ tracking cookies. I like the ones at
Amazon that seem to follow me all over the place, reminding me that I
really need that thing that I can't afford, like gadgets for my Kitchen
Aid, or toys for my Weber.