Velocity Reviews

-   -   IE7 Urgggh- help cannot uninstall (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t521225-ie7-urgggh-help-cannot-uninstall.html)

Cindy Stuart 07-11-2007 07:46 PM

IE7 Urgggh- help cannot uninstall

i'm happy with firefox but i'm using juno software that requires that ie4 or
more is installed for it, juno, to work properly.
i'm using ie7 but something is wrong; it doesn't show up to uninstall it.
ive tried all the ways listed by microsoft and i never get rid of ie7 and i
never see ie6. i've even tried system restore, a few different times, and
ERUNT - and i think i have now just totally messed it all up.

So how do i get rid of it and install 6, or even try to install a fresh 7.

it doesn't permit me to install 6 because it sees 7. yet 7 isn't working
properly; - and yes i made it my default browser.
i've been to google and can't find the solution.
p4 windows xp pro sp2 2gb ram
tia

Gordon 07-11-2007 08:22 PM

Re: IE7 Urgggh- help cannot uninstall

"Cindy Stuart" <cindystuart.10019@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> i'm happy with firefox but i'm using juno software that requires that ie4
> or
> more is installed for it, juno, to work properly.
> i'm using ie7 but something is wrong; it doesn't show up to uninstall it.
> ive tried all the ways listed by microsoft and i never get rid of ie7 and
> never see ie6. i've even tried system restore, a few different times, and
> ERUNT - and i think i have now just totally messed it all up.
>
> So how do i get rid of it and install 6, or even try to install a fresh 7.

Have you checked the box that says "Show Updates" and then looked under
Windows Internet explorer?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-11-2007 08:39 PM

Cindy Stuart wrote:

> i'm happy with firefox but i'm using juno software that requires that
> ie4 or more is installed for it, juno, to work properly.

According to their web site, IE is only required for Juno *Turbo*, which
is the extra-cost "accelerator" software. And if you knew how to fiddle
with the proxy settings in Firefox, you could use it in that browser as
well.

> i'm using ie7 but something is wrong; it doesn't show up to uninstall
> it. ive tried all the ways listed by microsoft and i never get rid of
> ie7 and i never see ie6. i've even tried system restore, a few
> different times, and ERUNT - and i think i have now just totally
> messed it all up.
>
> So how do i get rid of it and install 6, or even try to install a
> fresh 7.

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
and click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon.
Choose to Uninstall Internet Explorer 7, and it will return version 6.

> it doesn't permit me to install 6 because it sees 7. yet 7 isn't
> working properly; - and yes i made it my default browser. i've been
> to google and can't find the solution.

Just one little icon away ...

> p4 windows xp pro sp2 2gb ram
> tia

Now, while you ponder *Turbo*, read this:
http://k75s.home.att.net/accelerator.html

Use Firefox...

PS: please get your keyboard fixed. Yours has broken Shift Keys.

--
-bts

Gordon 07-11-2007 08:43 PM

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message

> Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
> and click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon.
> Choose to Uninstall Internet Explorer 7, and it will return version 6.

No it's in the main panel under WINDOWS Internet explorer. the "Add/Remove
Windows Components" function only removes ACCESS to Internet Explorer, it
doesn't actually uninstall it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-11-2007 10:01 PM

Gordon wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
>> and click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon.
>> Choose to Uninstall Internet Explorer 7, and it will return version 6.

> No it's in the main panel under WINDOWS Internet explorer. the
> "Add/Remove Windows Components" function only removes ACCESS to
> Internet Explorer, it doesn't actually uninstall it.

Is that by chance something new for Vista? Seems I remember reading a
bunch of posts for XP users who wanted to go back to do what I posted.

Does IE7 show up in the regular listing of programs to Add/Remove? (I've
only got Win2K here at home.)

--
-bts

Gordon 07-12-2007 06:58 AM

> Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
>>> and click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon.
>>> Choose to Uninstall Internet Explorer 7, and it will return version 6.

>> No it's in the main panel under WINDOWS Internet explorer. the
>> "Add/Remove Windows Components" function only removes ACCESS to
>> Internet Explorer, it doesn't actually uninstall it.

> Is that by chance something new for Vista? Seems I remember reading a
> bunch of posts for XP users who wanted to go back to do what I posted.

No it's for XP as well - because IE6 is actually part of the OS, it can't be
uninstalled. You can remove the menu items for it by going to add/remoce
Windows Components. The same applies to OE....

> Does IE7 show up in the regular listing of programs to Add/Remove? (I've
> only got Win2K here at home.)

Yes it does, but it's called WINDOWS Internet explorer, not MICROSOFT
Internet Explorer....