Velocity Reviews

-   -   What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t521152-what-is-the-best-way-to-track-marketing-campaigns-using-iis-asp-net-2-0-a.html)

ship 07-11-2007 02:55 PM

What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

Microsoft IIS (latest)
asp.net 2.0

Hi

How can we track (numerous) separate marketing campaigns using IIS and
asp.net (2.0)?

(We are trying hard to AVOID having to set up a new directory for
every single marketing campaign...
so what is the best way to do create trackable URLs?)

So for example if we publish a marketing URL (in say a printed
newspaper) of

"www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

....then if the directory "/xyzabc" does not exist on our server, it
will generate a 404 error, right?

Now at present, the URL is then redirected to the page
"www.ourdomain.com/movetonewsite.aspx" , which then
redirects the user to the splash (i.e. welcome) page URL, which is:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?MovedTo=NewSite"

The problem is that SOMEHOW we need to get the "xyzabc" bit added to
the URL so that our
marketing people can track it.
i.e. ideally we would like it to be referred on to a URL such as:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

or better:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=xyzabc"

Is there some clever way of to stuffing the referrer into the URL that
the 404 error throws
so that our marketing system (WebAbacus from Foviance) can readily
track it?

- Can anyone help?
- What do other people do on other sites ?

Many thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

John Timney \(MVP\) 07-11-2007 06:23 PM

Re: What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

have you looked into any of the URL rewriting options

http://pietschsoft.com/blog/post.aspx?postid=762

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

news:1184165726.641456.292940@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

Kristofer Gafvert 07-31-2007 08:38 AM

Re: What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

Hi,

ISAPI_Rewrite can do alot of things when it comes to the URL. I am almost
sure it can do what you are talking about in this post.

http://www.isapirewrite.com/

But...if there is a request for "/xyzabc", then it is logged in the IIS
log file, and by this you should be able to at least get the number of
requests this marketing campaign generated. But perhaps your tools gets
you more information (such as sales numbers generated from the campaign),
and therefore it is a must to rewrite the URL?

(I mean, why make it difficult if you have all the necessary information
alreadly).

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,