Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t520239-how-do-i-configure-ie-to-use-the-wireless-connection.html)

dandbnews@talktalk.net 07-07-2007 08:58 AM

How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi

I am working with a wireless router for the first time. On my laptop,
IE6 is configured with no connections (in Tools | Options |
Connections),. However, when I connect the laptop to the router via an
Ethernet cable, IE6 somehow recognises the connection and browsing
works ok.

On the wireless side, my laptop sees the router and shows a wireless
connection in Network Connections. However, when I pull out the
Ethernet connection, IE6 does not use the wireless connection.

Please can someone explain how I should tell IE6 what connections are
available and which to use?

David

Barb Bowman 07-07-2007 09:32 AM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

you need to log in to the router and setup a unique SSID and
WPA/WPA2 security for the router. post details on brand and model of
wireless router for more help.

once the router is setup, then you should be able to configure the
network and connect to it.

are you using Windows XP?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

dandbnews@talktalk.net 07-07-2007 11:31 AM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi Barb

> you need to log in to the router and setup a unique SSID and
> WPA/WPA2 security for the router. post details on brand and model of
> wireless router for more help.
> once the router is setup, then you should be able to configure the
> network and connect to it.

I have done all this and the laptop sees the wireless connection in
the wireless control panel.

> are you using Windows XP?

Yes, XP SP2. My problem is how to persuade IE to use the connection.

David

Barb Bowman 07-07-2007 01:14 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

disconnect the wired ethernet and reboot. can you surf with IE or
not?

if not:

start
run
cmd [enter]

ipconfig /release [enter]
ipconfig /renew [enter]

can you surf now?

if not:

ipconfig /all [enter]

copy all the text to the clipboard so you can paste it in here as a
reply.

also, did you change the SSID from what it was by default to
something unique so that you are sure you are connecting to your own
wireless router? are there other wireless networks in range? are you
using Windows to manage the wireless connection or some proprietary
vendor utility?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

dandbnews@talktalk.net 07-07-2007 02:25 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi Barb

> disconnect the wired ethernet and reboot. can you surf with IE or
> not?

No

> if not:
>
> start
> run
> cmd [enter]
>
> ipconfig /release [enter]
> ipconfig /renew [enter]
>
> can you surf now?

No.
The output of ipconfig /renew states:

"An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network
Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed
out."

I guess this is the big clue.

> also, did you change the SSID from what it was by default to
> something unique so that you are sure you are connecting to your own
> wireless router?

Yes I did change it and I'm as sure as I can be that I am connected to
my router.

>are there other wireless networks in range?

Yes, I see other networks but haven't chosen to connect to them. They
are all encrypted.

> using Windows to manage the wireless connection or some proprietary
> vendor utility?

Pure Windows.

Diagnostics on the connection all pass.

Where shall I go from here please?

Thanks

David

Barb Bowman 07-07-2007 03:32 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

what router are you using? can you do a factory reset on the router
and see if you connect with no security (briefly). if yes, please
use a wired computer and configure security and a unique SSID name.
Use WPA.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-07-2007 03:59 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi

If both connections are really working, you can control the usage priority
like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
However it seems that your Wireless connection is not working well.
It might be one of many "little" settings.
The following pages might help to find out this "little" setting.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:1183798709.774679.294350@r34g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...

dandbnews@talktalk.net 07-07-2007 06:43 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi Barb and Jack

Thanks for your help - I really am very grateful.

So some new info: I disabled encryption and the wireless connection
then worked fine, I got an IP address and surfed with IE, with the
Ethernet connection disconnected. So we can now blame my encryption
settings, I think.

My modem is a Huawei HG520S. Supported authentication types are:

WEP-64bits
WEP-128bits
WPA-PSK
WPA2-PSK

Are the last two the same as WPA AES and WPA-TKIP shown on the MVP
site? Which should I use for maximum security?

What I had done was to chose WEP-128bits and entered key#1, leaving
key#2-3 blank. Was that wrong?

Thanks again

David

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-07-2007 06:51 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Hi
Yeah, for functional purposes, WPA2 is WPA-AES, and WPA-PSK is WPA TKIP.
However WEP is currently considered unsafe (it takes relatively short time
to Brake the code).
If your components support WPA it is better to use WPA.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
MAC
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA-AES
WPA2
Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.

news:1183833828.888600.214670@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...

Barb Bowman 07-07-2007 07:01 PM

Re: How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

you only have the one wireless computer, correct? if the wireless
card you are using supports WPA2, that is the best security. WPA is
also ok. If your wireless card only supports WEP, I'd replace it as
WEP is not going to protect you.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP