Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two wireless networks: I access one then Windows connects to the o (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5200-two-wireless-networks-i-access-one-then-windows-connects-to-the-o.html)

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?= 12-17-2004 02:27 PM

Two wireless networks: I access one then Windows connects to the o

Hello, this is strange. I have two wirless networks. The SSID of the first
one is HomeNetwork with WEP enabled. The second network SSID is TestLab
without WEP enabled.

In my Sony Viao laptop, I have a Microsoft wireless notebook adapter. In the
Networking area of the control panel, I go to the wireless adapter and go to
view available networks (or whatever it is).

The first time I did this, I could see both networks listed. I was currently
on the HomeNetwork and wanted to switch to the TestLab. I selected TestLab
and clicked the check about saying its ok to connect to a network without WEP
enabled. After, it never did connect to TestLab.

I went to advances and selected to let Windows manage the connection. I was
then able to set the connection order. I put HomeNetwork above TestLab so
that I would connect to HomeNetwork first.

I went back to the view available networks dialoge. I selected TestLab and
again selected that it was ok to connect to this unprotected network.

This time I go on the TestLab network. I did what I had to do there and then
reconnected to the HomeNetwork when I was done. I was then doing what I had
to do on the HomeNetwork and after 10 minuites or so, I go the little pop-up
saying that I had just connected to the TestLab network.

Why did it automatically disconnect from the HomeNetwork and reconnect to
TestLab?

=?Utf-8?B?SSBuZWVkIHlvdXIgZXhwZXJ0IG9waW5pb24u?= 12-20-2004 04:43 AM

RE: Two wireless networks: I access one then Windows connects to the o

Keith,

I don't have the answer for your question but it seems that we have the same
computer probably you can help me in my situation.

I am not an expert in networking but I can see that you are.

I have a cable connection with my desktop. I bought a sony vaio K series
(laptop) and a linksys router to be able to connect to internet wireless and
at the same time to be able to access my my sony vaio desktop files.

I was able to connect to the internet but not able to share file from both
computers. tried everything on the wizard but still I can't find the desktop
from the laptop. When I click the view workgroup computer from the laptop
nothing will be displayed. In my desktop when I click the view workgroup
computers I can see both the desktop and the laptop. From the desktop, I
tried to access the laptop but it will give me an error "network path was not
found."

The laptop was bought on 12/04 and the desktop was bought on 05/03. I called
up linksys they're saying that it has something to do with the operating
system.

I hope you don't mind to share your expertise.

Thanks,

Roel

vballjim 12-29-2004 08:02 AM

RE: Two wireless networks: I access one then Windows connects to the o

Make sure you have file and print sharing enabled on both
comoputers. Go to my computer...right click on the "C"
drive and in the drop down menu, select sharing. Another
thing you can do is do a search for computers or
people...type in the name of the 'missing' computer and
see if it finds it. No matter what, you need file and
print sharing enabled to share.