Velocity Reviews

-   -   Convert Vax3500 files to Excel or Access database in Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t519706-convert-vax3500-files-to-excel-or-access-database-in-windows.html)

BigBlueIron36 07-04-2007 11:44 PM

Convert Vax3500 files to Excel or Access database in Windows

Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

Alfred 07-05-2007 04:21 PM

Re: Convert Vax3500 files to Excel or Access database in Windows

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, "BigBlueIron36"
<jmooney@nospam.daytop.org> wrote:

>Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

You need to convert to comma delimited or tab delimited text files
then import them. Don't know how to do it but there are firms that can
do it for money

why? 07-05-2007 05:05 PM

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, BigBlueIron36 wrote:

>Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

Did you forget to mention what format the VAX 3500 files are in?

Me

chuckieŽ 07-06-2007 01:59 AM

Re: Convert Vax3500 files to Excel or Access database in Windows

Don't know if this it'll help but:

Many of our customers believe that "The world is an Excel spreadsheet!" .
They always want Quiz reports loaded into the Excel, that they already have
on their PC's , and then convert data into graphs. Most of the older
applications still run on Vax/Rms data files and this makes relational tools
Impromptu less useful. In such cases we routinely use one of three
techniques:

(a) The Vax/Vms application has a special version of a Quiz report that
writes data in a simple tabular form with comma delimiters into a text file.
The text output file is located on a PC common drive (under Pathworks) that
is accessible to PC users. They then import the comma delimited report into
their Excel spreadsheet.

(b) The Vax/Vms application uses QTP to write a report into a RDB database
interface table. PC users have an Excel spreadsheet that contains macros
which in turn invoke MSQuery. MSQuery gets data from the RDB table through
the PC network.

(c) Users that are not on the PC network create the comma delimited report
as in (a) but use the Reflection communication program to download the
report from Vax (or Alpha) to their PC and then import it into Excel.

Life would be a lot easier if all applications used a relational database
but this is far from being the case. The old legacy application workhorses
are no longer sexy and not much effort seems to go into their upgrades.
Fortunately, Year 2000 seems to offer some hope because it will force the
issue ...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 07-06-2007 02:09 AM

Alfred <invalid@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:44:14 -0400, "BigBlueIron36"
><jmooney@nospam.daytop.org> wrote:

>>Anybody know of any truly working packages available to do this?

>You need to convert to comma delimited or tab delimited text files
>then import them. Don't know how to do it but there are firms that can
>do it for money

UltraEdit can do this http://www.ultraedit.com/ and you get a decent
text editor out of the deal.

--