Velocity Reviews

-   -   Residual files preventing new install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t519623-residual-files-preventing-new-install.html)

Gary 07-04-2007 04:26 PM

Residual files preventing new install

At some point in the past I had Power Quest Partition Magic installed.
At some point it was uninstalled, but now I need it again. Couldn't find
the original disk. Symantec bought out Power Quest. The new Symantec
disk begins to install but errors out saying that an old version of
Power Quest Partition Magic is installed and must be removed first.
I've searched the registry for references to it without luck. Nothing in
the add/remove files. Nothing in the program folder. Zip. Obviously
something is hanging somewhere. Used the Norton program removal tool but
it doesn't search for Partition Magic files. Anybody have a clue where
else to look for the offending file(s)?

Thip 07-04-2007 04:54 PM

Re: Residual files preventing new install

"Gary" <danahers@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
> At some point in the past I had Power Quest Partition Magic installed. At
> some point it was uninstalled, but now I need it again. Couldn't find the
> original disk. Symantec bought out Power Quest. The new Symantec disk
> begins to install but errors out saying that an old version of Power Quest
> Partition Magic is installed and must be removed first. I've searched the
> registry for references to it without luck. Nothing in the add/remove
> files. Nothing in the program folder. Zip. Obviously something is hanging
> somewhere. Used the Norton program removal tool but it doesn't search for
> Partition Magic files. Anybody have a clue where else to look for the
> offending file(s)?

Try running RegSeeker. It's free, it's good, and it makes backups before
deletion.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

John Holmes 07-04-2007 06:53 PM

Re: Residual files preventing new install

Gary "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> At some point in the past I had Power Quest Partition Magic installed.
> At some point it was uninstalled, but now I need it again. Couldn't

find
> the original disk. Symantec bought out Power Quest. The new Symantec
> disk begins to install but errors out saying that an old version of
> Power Quest Partition Magic is installed and must be removed first.
> I've searched the registry for references to it without luck. Nothing

in
> the add/remove files. Nothing in the program folder. Zip. Obviously
> something is hanging somewhere. Used the Norton program removal tool

but
> it doesn't search for Partition Magic files. Anybody have a clue where
> else to look for the offending file(s)?

First, ignore that **** who calls himself Thip.
Second, download and run the M$ MSI cleaner.
That will remove all instances for previous or incomplete installations
enabling you to perform a fresh install of any program that uses MSI.

--
You cum-stained, swag-bellied penis.

John Holmes 07-04-2007 07:49 PM

Thip 07-05-2007 08:26 PM

"John Holmes" <nospam.13inch@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:20070704185318.CB7B27000085@mwinf6302.orange. nl...
> Gary "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
> First, ignore that **** who calls himself Thip.
> Second, download and run the M$ MSI cleaner.
> That will remove all instances for previous or incomplete installations
> enabling you to perform a fresh install of any program that uses MSI.
>
> --
> You cum-stained, swag-bellied penis.

Well, you got the "****" part right, but ***** are female, not male.

And I just looooooooooove abusive dirtbags like you, sweet boy. <bats
eyelashes>