Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: python 3.0 or 3000 ....is it worth waiting??? Newbie Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t519359-re-python-3-0-or-3000-is-it-worth-waiting-newbie-question.html)

Jean-Paul Calderone 07-03-2007 03:54 PM

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:13:46 -0000, "Nomad.C@gmail.com" <nomad.c@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi
>I'm considering learning Python...but with the python 3000 comming
>very soon, is it worth waiting for?? I know that the old style of
>coding python will run parallel with the new, but I mean, its going to
>come to an end eventually.
>
>What do you think??
>Chris

Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language. If
you learn Python 2.x, almost all of what you learn will be applicable to
Python 3.x, if you ever choose to switch to it. Since the Python development
team have promised tools for porting code and a Python 2.6 which will be
completely backwards compatible with Python 2.5 as well as provide feedback
about code which will not be compatible with Python 3.x
(<http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=208549>), you'll be able to
convert any code you write for Python 2.x into Python 3.x code easily.

Jean-Paul

Méta-MCI 07-03-2007 05:54 PM

Re: python 3.0 or 3000 ....is it worth waiting??? Newbie Question

Hi!

> Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
change?)

Michel Claveau

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch 07-03-2007 06:10 PM

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:54:57 +0200, Méta-MCI wrote:

>> Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

> One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
> change?)

Not in the sense that old code doesn't work anymore. ASCII sources still
work in Python 3000. And this change may be already in a Python 2.x
before P3K.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Neil Cerutti 07-03-2007 06:11 PM

On 2007-07-03, Méta-MCI <enleverlesX.XmcX@XmclaveauX.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

> One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
> change?)

It is one of not many?

--
Neil Cerutti

MC 07-03-2007 06:35 PM

Re: python 3.0 or 3000 ....is it worth waiting??? Newbie Question

Hi!

>> non-Ascii characters in identifiers

> And this change may be already in a Python 2.x before P3K.

Good new! (if it's True...)

--
@-salutations

Michel Claveau