Velocity Reviews

-   -   Power Supply keeps blowing? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t519013-power-supply-keeps-blowing.html)

Chicagorush 07-02-2007 03:39 AM

Power Supply keeps blowing?

I currently have been having issues with my power supply. Well to
start off this is my second power supply in 2 months that i've gone
through because both have blown on me. I don't know what is going on,
I do leave my computer on during the night while i'm sleeping.

My computer specs are:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
Processor
(4) 512mb Corsair Value Memory - VS512MB400C3
Maxtor 300gb Diamond Max 10 Hard drive
(2) XFX 7600gt GeForce 4 256mb Graphics card with SLI enabled on
both.

Power Supplies that i've gone through already:

450w Ultra X-Connect
550w Guardian Power Supply

Both power supplies have blown on me. The Ultra has lasted me about a
year and a half. The guardian I had originally had on my system when i
first built it was for about 6 months then when my ultra died on me it
lasted me for another 2 months.

If anyone can help me answer why both have blown on me or can help me
figure out how to prevent the next one i get from taking a dump that
would be greatly appreciated.

Vanguard 07-02-2007 03:47 AM

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing?

"Chicagorush" wrote in message
news:1183347551.849996.212730@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> I currently have been having issues with my power supply. Well to
> start off this is my second power supply in 2 months that i've gone
> through because both have blown on me. I don't know what is going on,
> I do leave my computer on during the night while i'm sleeping.
>
> My computer specs are:
>
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
> Processor
> (4) 512mb Corsair Value Memory - VS512MB400C3
> Maxtor 300gb Diamond Max 10 Hard drive
> (2) XFX 7600gt GeForce 4 256mb Graphics card with SLI enabled on
> both.
>
> Power Supplies that i've gone through already:
>
> 450w Ultra X-Connect
> 550w Guardian Power Supply
>
> Both power supplies have blown on me. The Ultra has lasted me about a
> year and a half. The guardian I had originally had on my system when i
> first built it was for about 6 months then when my ultra died on me it
> lasted me for another 2 months.

So what does "blown" mean to you? That you think a fuse inside blew?
If so then you are putting in a very undersized power supply and an
extremely cheap one. From your descriptions of the PSUs, the wattage
probably is more than enough but you'll be lucky if you if get
two-thirds the rated wattage for a continuous load with the cheapie
units. Never heard of the brands you mentioned.

Chicagorush 07-02-2007 03:54 AM

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing?

Blown as in i press the button to turn the computer on and it starts
up and shuts down within a second. The led lights on my chassis light
up but shut off right away. I'm not saying a fuse i'm saying it seems
like something is wrong with the power supply because if i go to turn
the computer on it doesn't start up just the led's on the chassis
flicker on then turn off right away nothing else.

The PSU's i know have been really popular especially on newegg.com and
tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1583&CatId=106

Thats the link to all the ultra power supplies on tigerdirect.com

What in your opinion is a good power supply for the things i have
posted as my computer specs.

I know for a fact the guardian 550w power supply was a cheap one cause
it was only $25 when i bought it and that was 2 years ago.

George H 07-02-2007 04:07 AM

Chicagorush wrote:
> I currently have been having issues with my power supply. Well to
> start off this is my second power supply in 2 months that i've gone
> through because both have blown on me. I don't know what is going on,
> I do leave my computer on during the night while i'm sleeping.
>
> My computer specs are:
>
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
> Processor
> (4) 512mb Corsair Value Memory - VS512MB400C3
> Maxtor 300gb Diamond Max 10 Hard drive
> (2) XFX 7600gt GeForce 4 256mb Graphics card with SLI enabled on
> both.
>
> Power Supplies that i've gone through already:
>
> 450w Ultra X-Connect
> 550w Guardian Power Supply
>
> Both power supplies have blown on me. The Ultra has lasted me about a
> year and a half. The guardian I had originally had on my system when i
> first built it was for about 6 months then when my ultra died on me it
> lasted me for another 2 months.
>
> If anyone can help me answer why both have blown on me or can help me
> figure out how to prevent the next one i get from taking a dump that
> would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.directron.com/guardian550w.html

If this is the power supply you speak of I'm surprised you got eight
months out of it.

The two video cards plus the 4200+ draw a fair bit of current from the
+12VDC rail(s).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+Memory%2c+Inc.

Buy one of these Corsair PSUs, made by Seasonic.

Leythos 07-02-2007 11:19 AM

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing?

In article <1183347551.849996.212730@k79g2000hse.googlegroups .com>,
jpchmiel@purdue.edu says...
> If anyone can help me answer why both have blown on me or can help me
> figure out how to prevent the next one i get from taking a dump that
> would be greatly appreciated.

Try and antec 550W or larger PSU, don't buy those cheap PSU units no
matter what people review for them.

--
Leythos - spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Vanguard 07-02-2007 07:39 PM

news:1183348461.296058.171540@m36g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Blown as in i press the button to turn the computer on and it starts
> up and shuts down within a second. The led lights on my chassis light
> up but shut off right away. I'm not saying a fuse i'm saying it seems
> like something is wrong with the power supply because if i go to turn
> the computer on it doesn't start up just the led's on the chassis
> flicker on then turn off right away nothing else.

So what happens when you short the PS-ON signal (green wire) on the
20-pin mobo header to ground (black wire)? Some PSUs won't power on
without a load on a power tap so disconnect the PSU from everything
except one hard drive. If the PSU comes on (you'll see its fan spinning
and can measure tap voltages) the problem isn't with the PSU (unless the
load is beyond the *real* capacity of the PSU). If the PSU runs okay by
itself then try a minimal hardware configuration to test it (mobo, 1
stick of memory, video card, CPU, and a hard drive, if needed).

w_tom 07-02-2007 10:36 PM

On Jul 1, 11:54 pm, Chicagorush <jpchm...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> Blown as in i press the button to turn the computer on and it starts
> up and shuts down within a second. The led lights on my chassis light
> up but shut off right away. I'm not saying a fuse i'm saying it seems
> like something is wrong with thepower supplybecause if i go to turn
> the computer on it doesn't start up just the led's on the chassis
> flicker on then turn off right away nothing else.

It seems to be a lot of things. For example, you don't even know if
the original supply was working properly - was sufficient. A complete
defective (undersized) supply can make a computer work appear OK for
months. Without confirming numbers, you were only guessing that the
second supply was good. And you were also guessing that the original
problem was inside a first supply.

It is a power supply 'system'; not just a power supply. Even the
power supply controller could be defective.

To get useful replies - answers that go after the problem - answers
that don't include "it could be this or it could be ....". That means
definitive numbers from a 3.5 digit multimeter. Those whose life is
about shotgunning will avidly deny this. However, already
demonstrated is why a meter was necessary 2 month ago and why the
meter will be necessary after parts have been replaced.

The meter is a $20 item even sold in K-mart, Sears, Wal-Mart, Lowes,
Radio Shack, Tru-Value Hardware, Home Depot ... almost everywhere that
screwdrivers are sold. A tool that simple and that necessary for
electrical work. That meter and two minutes will provide numbers so
that your replies may be even more informative. The procedure and
minimum acceptable voltage numbers are in "When your computer dies
without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup
alt.windows-xp at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
Also pictures to better appreciate what you are measuring are:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/p...nc-pinouts.htm

Your replies will only be as useful as numbers that you provide.
Problems by shotgunning were demonstrated unreliable. Two minutes
with the meter is a far more useful solution because it can also
report things you were not aware of and were not mentioned by other
speculative posts.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 07-03-2007 12:30 AM

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing?

w_tom wrote:
<snip>
> The meter is a $20 item even sold in K-mart, Sears, Wal-Mart, Lowes,
> Radio Shack, Tru-Value Hardware, Home Depot ... almost everywhere that

<snip>

You want him to spend more on a multimeter than he's willing to spend on
a power supply?

w_tom 07-03-2007 01:17 AM

On Jul 2, 8:30 pm, Rgr <a...@your.isp.com> wrote:
> You want him to spend more on a multimeter than he's willing to spend on
> a power supply?

Did he spend money on tools such as a screwdriver? $20 for a tool
as essential as a screwdriver ($10 if on sale) is money better spent
than $60 for a power supply - especially when the existing power
supply is only one of many suspects.

If he does replace that power supply, he still needs numbers from
the meter to confirm that power supply is working properly. It is
common for some 500 watt power supplies to really only be 350 watts.
They were not lying when claiming 500 watts - for reasons beyond the
scope of this post.

A second power supply has failed. Why? Reasons for a future
problem could have been made obvious by a meter when new supply was
installed. Just another reason why the meter is a smarter solution.

Identify the suspect before replacing anything. Otherwise we will
be having this same discussion again for a third power supply. We
still don't even know what component is defective in a 'power supply'
system. Replace a power supply without first learning with the meter
- and a defective 'system' component remains to only fail again months
later.

Leythos 07-03-2007 01:47 AM

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing?

In article <1183425444.459344.301490@m36g2000hse.googlegroups .com>,
w_tom1@usa.net says...
> On Jul 2, 8:30 pm, Rgr <a...@your.isp.com> wrote:
> > You want him to spend more on a multimeter than he's willing to spend on
> > a power supply?

> Did he spend money on tools such as a screwdriver? $20 for a tool
> as essential as a screwdriver ($10 if on sale) is money better spent
> than $60 for a power supply - especially when the existing power
> supply is only one of many suspects.

Most people have at least 1 screw driver already, not to mention that a
screw driver requires no training, requires no real understanding,
doesn't require you to understand the voltage levels based on the colors
on the connectors, etc...

A DVM can not tell the true cause of the computer failure, only give
guesses in many case.

> If he does replace that power supply, he still needs numbers from
> the meter to confirm that power supply is working properly. It is
> common for some 500 watt power supplies to really only be 350 watts.
> They were not lying when claiming 500 watts - for reasons beyond the
> scope of this post.

No you're being stupid - no home user is going to lookup the spec on his
motherboard to determine the draw, then check all of the devices draws,
then calculate the total current load, then put the meter in series with
each different output to measure the load....

If a quality PSU is purchased and it states 500W then it's going to
provide 500W in most all cases - notice the "Quality" stipulation.

> A second power supply has failed. Why? Reasons for a future
> problem could have been made obvious by a meter when new supply was
> installed. Just another reason why the meter is a smarter solution.

And a meter will not help in this case, not at all. There are two things
left, CPU and Motherboard, neither of which can be checked with a DVM.
Even the Case Power button can be bypassed without a DVM, so, you can
get all the way down to the PSU, Motherboard+CPU, without a DVM.

> Identify the suspect before replacing anything. Otherwise we will
> be having this same discussion again for a third power supply. We
> still don't even know what component is defective in a 'power supply'
> system.

And without a DVM, by reasonable deduction, you can eliminate all the
parts and more than a DVM could tell you, and you've not had to learn
anything other than remove/swap this, get a new PSU, and you're 99%
chance to be online and running without a DVM.

> Replace a power supply without first learning with the meter
> - and a defective 'system' component remains to only fail again months
> later.

And once it's up and running there is little chance that a DVM will be
able to tell you anything unless you're going to try and understand
current loads and how to measure current in a live power circuit.