Velocity Reviews

-   -   Evaluation Versions of Server Software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t51836-evaluation-versions-of-server-software.html)

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmU=?= 03-08-2005 05:09 PM

Evaluation Versions of Server Software

Does anybody out there know whether or not the evaluation versions of Windows
2003 Server or Exchange 2003 Server can be re-activated and re-installed
after the evaluation period expirers in order to continue practice with it
for Exam prep.

I don't have any of those evaluation versions yet. But I am researching my
options.

Thanks!

Neil 03-08-2005 05:26 PM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmU=?=" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com>
say in news:830A70E7-AF46-4FDA-B80B-3480676E3963@microsoft.com:

> Does anybody out there know whether or not the evaluation versions of
> Windows 2003 Server or Exchange 2003 Server can be re-activated and
> re-installed after the evaluation period expirers in order to continue
> practice with it for Exam prep.
>
> I don't have any of those evaluation versions yet. But I am
> researching my options.
>
> Thanks!

no, but you can reformat and reinstall after the 180 days (or whatever)

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...r.aspx?view=22
&type=std&content=22/TSC/ITProfessionals&ss=22/xslt/list

or

http://tinyurl.com/4tv74

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic
particles.

Albert 03-08-2005 08:25 PM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

news:Xns96137E933CFA2neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmU=?=" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com>
> say in news:830A70E7-AF46-4FDA-B80B-3480676E3963@microsoft.com:
>
>> Does anybody out there know whether or not the evaluation versions of
>> Windows 2003 Server or Exchange 2003 Server can be re-activated and
>> re-installed after the evaluation period expirers in order to continue
>> practice with it for Exam prep.
>>
>> I don't have any of those evaluation versions yet. But I am
>> researching my options.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> no, but you can reformat and reinstall after the 180 days (or whatever)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...r.aspx?view=22
> &type=std&content=22/TSC/ITProfessionals&ss=22/xslt/list
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4tv74
>

> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic
> particles.

What happens when you install it and activate it on a VM? if you create a
new VM, can you reactivate it?
Thanks

Neil 03-08-2005 08:47 PM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

did you hear "Albert" <abm2002@yahoo.com> say in

> What happens when you install it and activate it on a VM? if you
> create a new VM, can you reactivate it?
> Thanks

If you install it in a VM it will run until it expires. I was unaware of
the requirement for activation codes on eval copies. If there are, (a)
let me know and (b) I'm sure MS wouldn't mind you re-evaluting it on
another VM. doesn't really matter if the other VM is around or not. I'm
suer you could install 15 servers from teh eval adn MS would be ok. But
check with a lawyer to be sure (I doubt even MS - other than the lawyers
- knows for sure)

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Brain damage? No thanks, I already have some.

blastingfonda 03-08-2005 08:54 PM

Neil wrote:
> no, but you can reformat and reinstall after the 180 days (or

whatever)

> --
> Neil MCNGP#30
>
> - I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic
> particles.

Also you can install mutliple copies of the trial version and have them
all running at once. So if you are nearing the end of your trial, you
could install the new version on another PC (or even better, a new
instance of Virtual Server 2005 or Virtual PC) and migrate all your
users / groups / settings to that new Server 2k3 / Exchange / whatever.

blastingfonda 03-08-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

>From the EULA:

Installation, Server Software. Solely for purposes of demonstration
and internal testing, examination and evaluation, you may install, use,
access, display and run up to four (4) copies of Server Software
(whether on different Servers or in separate partitions of the same
Server). Features supported on 32-bit and 64-bit versions, including
some features mentioned in this EULA, may not be identical or available
in both versions; please refer to product documentation for a list of
specific features included with each version.

Now, I'm not sure if that's 4 servers per product key or four servers
period.

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmU=?= 03-09-2005 12:57 AM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

As a matter of fact, evaluation software has to be activated within 14 days
of installation for it to work. Here is a link that gives details about
Server 2003 registration and activation.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/evalkit.mspx

catwalker63 03-09-2005 01:00 AM

Re: Evaluation Versions of Server Software

"blastingfonda" <blastingfonda@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
news:1110315268.417946.255340@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com:

> Neil wrote:
>> no, but you can reformat and reinstall after the 180 days (or

> whatever)
>>
>> --
>> Neil MCNGP#30
>>
>> - I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic
>> particles.

> Also you can install mutliple copies of the trial version and have them
> all running at once. So if you are nearing the end of your trial, you
> could install the new version on another PC (or even better, a new
> instance of Virtual Server 2005 or Virtual PC) and migrate all your
> users / groups / settings to that new Server 2k3 / Exchange / whatever.

Hey, great tip! Thanx!

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
doubted it for a second."

Neil 03-09-2005 02:26 AM

say in news:82FF2CD4-56D7-4FC1-BA95-ABC5511C182A@microsoft.com:

> As a matter of fact, evaluation software has to be activated within 14
> days of installation for it to work. Here is a link that gives
> details about Server 2003 registration and activation.

well there you go, been so long since I've used evals, last one I used
(2000 server) did not require it. It's nice to have MSDN.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Hit any user to continue.