Velocity Reviews

-   -   remembering login/password (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t517852-remembering-login-password.html)

chrisa 06-26-2007 06:54 PM

remembering login/password

I recently installed Firefox on both my laptop and desktop. I like to
go to craigslist fairly often and even though I never clicked the
option to not save the password for that site, I cannot have FF save
it. When I look at the exceptions are in the browser options, I don't
see craigslist showing up. I don't know what happened. How do I reset
this so that I get asked again whether I want to save login/password?
That is without having to uninstall/reinstall the browser which I
don't want to do just for this one site.

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 06-26-2007 08:29 PM

Re: remembering login/password

On Jun 26, 11:54 am, chrisa <h...@mmm.com> wrote:
> I recently installed Firefox on both my laptop and desktop. I like to
> go to craigslist fairly often and even though I never clicked the
> option to not save the password for that site, I cannot have FF save
> it. When I look at the exceptions are in the browser options, I don't
> see craigslist showing up. I don't know what happened. How do I reset
> this so that I get asked again whether I want to save login/password?
> That is without having to uninstall/reinstall the browser which I
> don't want to do just for this one site.

First, a lesson in Firefox 101.

All your settings, passwords, bookmarks, etc, are stored in an area
called the FF profile. This directory is separate from the program
directory. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the
program, the profile is not touched. So, stop thinking you have to
uninstall and reinstall. The program is not where your problem lies.
Its within the FF profile.

Open the Password Manager [Tools, Options, Privacy, Passwords tab, and
the View Passwords button]. Remove the craiglist entry.

If there is no entry, then some sites can disable the remember of
password functions, and they can do this at any time, and without
notice. This is for security reasons.

Sometimes, you can get around this with the Remember Passwords
bookmarklet [https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
forms.html#remember_password]. Just drag the icon to your bookmarks
folder. Now, visit the site, click the bookmarklet, click OK to the
popup, enter your user name and password, and enter the site. You
should get a popup asking if you want to remember the password.