Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t517748-re-strange-problem-with-low-energy-light-bulb.html)

JANA 06-26-2007 11:50 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 
If the switch that is series with the light bulb has a night light in it,
the current pass of the night light will cause the CFL to flicker.

If the CFL is connected to a switch that is electronic, the small leakage of
the electronics will cause the CFL to flicker or in some cases to not turn
off.

Regular CFL's cannot be used on standard light dimmers and many of the
electronic timers. This is a big inconvenience for many people.

When regular lamps become unavailable, I can see a lot of problems with
these new types of lamps. The biggest one will be the pollution from their
disposal. They use mercury, phosphors, and many types of materials that are
very harmful for the environment. There is also the electronics circuit
board, which contain components that have the same recycling problem as used
in most electronics. Even though they last longer, when they are eventually
put out in to the garbage, they will eventually end up in the land fills.
They are going to be a very big problem compared to the simple light bulb
that was made of simple glass and metals.

Regular light bulb materials are about 85% recyclable. There are almost no
materials in these that are bad for the environment. Most CFL's materials
are not recyclable, and their materials are very polluting.

It looks very strong that the government is pushing the CFL's to save some
electricity to sell to large industry. This is the only answer that is
logical. There are NO green house gasses from using regular light bulbs.
When more electricity is sold to industry, the pollution problems from its
generation will actually increase, unless the generation is from water
power, or nuclear power.

--

JANA
_____


"Seán O'Leathlóbhair" <jwlawler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1182780181.347341.88720@o61g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
I am not sure if this is an appropriate group for this question. If
not, please suggest a better one.

I have a light in the house which I have wanted to switch to a low
energy bulb for a long time. The hold up was that I needed a very
small bulb. At last, I have found a small enough bulb but something
odd occurred as soon as I put it in.

When it is switched on, it works as expected.

When it is switched off, it blinks every few seconds. So, I guess
that there must be a problem with the switch If it is passing nothing
then it would seem impossible for the bulb to do anything. I did not
notice any problem with the previous incandescent bulb but I guess
that if the switch is leaking a tiny amount, the filament would glow
too little to be seen.

I have a few questions:

What is going on? Is a tiny current leaking, building up a charge in
a capacitor somewhere until a sufficient voltage builds up to spark in
the bulb and discharge the capacitor, and then the cycle repeats.

Is it safe?

Will it wear out the bulb very fast?

Is it likely to be enough to replace the switch? (Actually three
switches can turn this bulb on and off).

Might I have to replace the wiring? (Much harder than just replacing
the switches)

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair



Blash 06-26-2007 12:35 PM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 
JANA wrote on 6/26/07 7:50 AM:

> If the switch that is series with the light bulb has a night light in it,
> the current pass of the night light will cause the CFL to flicker.

<<SNIP>>

Couldn't you think of any more newsgroups to cross-post to???
24hoursupport.helpdesk,
aus.electronics,
misc.invest.stocks,
rec.audio.tech,
sci.electronics.basics,
sci.electronics.components,
sci.electronics.repair,
sci.engr.television.advanced


Arfa Daily 06-26-2007 01:17 PM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 

"JANA" <jana@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote in message
news:1381vgd8ur9p10e@corp.supernews.com...
> If the switch that is series with the light bulb has a night light in it,
> the current pass of the night light will cause the CFL to flicker.
>
> If the CFL is connected to a switch that is electronic, the small leakage
> of
> the electronics will cause the CFL to flicker or in some cases to not turn
> off.
>
> Regular CFL's cannot be used on standard light dimmers and many of the
> electronic timers. This is a big inconvenience for many people.
>
> When regular lamps become unavailable, I can see a lot of problems with
> these new types of lamps. The biggest one will be the pollution from
> their
> disposal. They use mercury, phosphors, and many types of materials that
> are
> very harmful for the environment. There is also the electronics circuit
> board, which contain components that have the same recycling problem as
> used
> in most electronics. Even though they last longer, when they are
> eventually
> put out in to the garbage, they will eventually end up in the land fills.
> They are going to be a very big problem compared to the simple light bulb
> that was made of simple glass and metals.
>
> Regular light bulb materials are about 85% recyclable. There are almost no
> materials in these that are bad for the environment. Most CFL's materials
> are not recyclable, and their materials are very polluting.
>
> It looks very strong that the government is pushing the CFL's to save some
> electricity to sell to large industry. This is the only answer that is
> logical. There are NO green house gasses from using regular light bulbs.
> When more electricity is sold to industry, the pollution problems from its
> generation will actually increase, unless the generation is from water
> power, or nuclear power.
>
> --
>
> JANA
> _____
>
>


These are my (well known) views also, but I fear we are squeaking like
little lost mice in the dark ...

The general public are not told - and would not understand anyway - the
wider implications of these knee-jerk government interventions in our lives.
All too often, they are poorly thought through, and are dreamed up as a
response to the latest bit of pseudo science to hit the news stands. At the
moment, anything with the words 'green' or 'eco' or 'environment' or 'global
warming' are fair game for this sort of nonsense, and to add to its
'validity' in the public's eyes, they've already started inventing new bits
of techno-babble like 'carbon footprint' and 'carbon offsetting' to justify
what amounts to little more than opinions by a vociferous band of scientists
getting paid large amounts of money and credibility ratings, to promote the
government line. As you say, these CFLs are just trading one form of alleged
pollution, for another definite one ...

Arfa

Arfa



JANA 06-28-2007 03:31 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 
I just found out something this morning with the policies of these CFL
lamps. The governments are going to put in place programs for the handling
and disposal of the warn out and damaged CFL's. It seems that they have no
idea at this time of what this plan will be. One speculation is that they
will be sending them off to a third world country to be disposed of.

Apparently, it has been figured out that the cost of the plan is going to be
far greater than if they left things alone! And, they will be adding a worse
and different type of pollution problem to deal with.

This plan is being enforced in all of North America, and most of the
Commonwealth countries around the world. From what I heard, they want the
general public and businesses to use less electricity, so that more can be
sold to large industries for manufacturing. They will also be able to raise
the price per kw/hr without the public noticing it, because they will be
using a little less.

Another issue that gets to me is the one with the new hybrid cars, and
ethanol. This is a long issue, but I will make a short comment.

After about 4 to 6 years with an average use of about 16,000 to 20,000 km
per year, the batteries in the hybrid cars will have to be changed. There is
going to be a huge disposal problem with these. The chemicals used in
battery technology is some of the worse kinds for the environment.

As for the consumer, if he wants to keep his car, the battery replacement
cost is going to be in the average range of $6000 US. If he trades his car
with the used batteries, this cost will be deducted from the trade-in value.
If you calculate the usage cost of fuel for the average person, this
approach does not pay!

When making ethanol fuel from corn, the energy used, is more than what can
be had from the ethanol. The pollution caused from burning ethanol is worse
than from petrol. The chemicals released from the burned ethanol are
dangerous for people with respiratory problems. These chemicals are also
harmful to plant life.


--

JANA
_____


"Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:kl8gi.207$XR.3@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...

"JANA" <jana@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote in message
news:1381vgd8ur9p10e@corp.supernews.com...
> If the switch that is series with the light bulb has a night light in it,
> the current pass of the night light will cause the CFL to flicker.
>
> If the CFL is connected to a switch that is electronic, the small leakage
> of
> the electronics will cause the CFL to flicker or in some cases to not turn
> off.
>
> Regular CFL's cannot be used on standard light dimmers and many of the
> electronic timers. This is a big inconvenience for many people.
>
> When regular lamps become unavailable, I can see a lot of problems with
> these new types of lamps. The biggest one will be the pollution from
> their
> disposal. They use mercury, phosphors, and many types of materials that
> are
> very harmful for the environment. There is also the electronics circuit
> board, which contain components that have the same recycling problem as
> used
> in most electronics. Even though they last longer, when they are
> eventually
> put out in to the garbage, they will eventually end up in the land fills.
> They are going to be a very big problem compared to the simple light bulb
> that was made of simple glass and metals.
>
> Regular light bulb materials are about 85% recyclable. There are almost no
> materials in these that are bad for the environment. Most CFL's materials
> are not recyclable, and their materials are very polluting.
>
> It looks very strong that the government is pushing the CFL's to save some
> electricity to sell to large industry. This is the only answer that is
> logical. There are NO green house gasses from using regular light bulbs.
> When more electricity is sold to industry, the pollution problems from its
> generation will actually increase, unless the generation is from water
> power, or nuclear power.
>
> --
>
> JANA
> _____
>
>


These are my (well known) views also, but I fear we are squeaking like
little lost mice in the dark ...

The general public are not told - and would not understand anyway - the
wider implications of these knee-jerk government interventions in our lives.
All too often, they are poorly thought through, and are dreamed up as a
response to the latest bit of pseudo science to hit the news stands. At the
moment, anything with the words 'green' or 'eco' or 'environment' or 'global
warming' are fair game for this sort of nonsense, and to add to its
'validity' in the public's eyes, they've already started inventing new bits
of techno-babble like 'carbon footprint' and 'carbon offsetting' to justify
what amounts to little more than opinions by a vociferous band of scientists
getting paid large amounts of money and credibility ratings, to promote the
government line. As you say, these CFLs are just trading one form of alleged
pollution, for another definite one ...

Arfa

Arfa




JANA 06-28-2007 03:39 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 
I had a reason to cross post. The question was in many other groups, and
there is a serious problem with the new regulations concerning the CFL's.

This was a small item, and there was no harm done. I had many positive
responses in my favour from this post. I guess you are in favour of the
pollution problems that these CFL's will be causing.

Just click on the "Next" button if you feel annoyed!

--

JANA
_____


"Blash" <blash1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:C2A68061.6E5E7%blash1@comcast.net...
JANA wrote on 6/26/07 7:50 AM:

> If the switch that is series with the light bulb has a night light in it,
> the current pass of the night light will cause the CFL to flicker.

<<SNIP>>

Couldn't you think of any more newsgroups to cross-post to???
24hoursupport.helpdesk,
aus.electronics,
misc.invest.stocks,
rec.audio.tech,
sci.electronics.basics,
sci.electronics.components,
sci.electronics.repair,
sci.engr.television.advanced




Eeyore 06-28-2007 03:43 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 


JANA wrote:

> I just found out something this morning with the policies of these CFL
> lamps. The governments are going to put in place programs for the handling
> and disposal of the warn out and damaged CFL's. It seems that they have no
> idea at this time of what this plan will be.


In Europe it's called WEEE but it's ****ed up.

> One speculation is that they will be sending them off to a third world country
> to be disposed of.


You're an idiot.

Graham


Eeyore 06-28-2007 03:45 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 


JANA wrote:

> As for the consumer, if he wants to keep his car, the battery replacement
> cost is going to be in the average range of $6000 US. If he trades his car
> with the used batteries, this cost will be deducted from the trade-in value.


The simple and obvious way to deal with this is by leasing the battery, not
owning it.

Graham


Eeyore 06-28-2007 03:46 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 


JANA wrote:

> When making ethanol fuel from corn, the energy used, is more than what can
> be had from the ethanol.


You're full of crap aren't you ?


> The pollution caused from burning ethanol is worse
> than from petrol.


Utter nonsense.

Graham


Eeyore 06-28-2007 03:47 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 


JANA wrote:

> I had a reason to cross post. The question was in many other groups, and
> there is a serious problem with the new regulations concerning the CFL's.


There are no regulations yet.

Graham


Mr.T 06-28-2007 08:11 AM

Re: Strange problem with low energy light bulb
 

"JANA" <jana@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote in message
news:1386bdnpov53v7d@corp.supernews.com...
> The pollution caused from burning ethanol is worse
> than from petrol.


Do you have a reference for this?

>The chemicals released from the burned ethanol are
> dangerous for people with respiratory problems.


So is petrol, diesel is worse still.

MrT.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.