Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need advice on Vista 64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t517620-need-advice-on-vista-64-a.html)

BENAGLIA 06-25-2007 09:25 PM

Need advice on Vista 64

I have just assembled a new desktop pc and would appreciated some advise on
installing Vista 64. At the moment I am working with XP 64 sp2 and all is
well, no major problems with drivers and very impressed with performance.
My system:
- MotherboardAsus P5W DH DeLuxe
- CPU: Inter Core 2 Cpu 6600 - 2.40GHz
- Video: Radeon X1650 series
- Ram: 4 Gb DDR2
- HD: Raid 0 138 Gb

Pc is mainly used for graphics and video editing and was wondering if Vista
will help in anyway. All advise will be greatly appreciated.

AndyB

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-25-2007 09:59 PM

Re: Need advice on Vista 64

The one area where I think Vista will help is that support for DVDs is
native in the OS. Otherwise? You'll find that new hardware and software is
more likely to support Vista 64bit than Windows XP x64 Edition. It may do
both, or may not, but if it only does one? It will be Vista. The overhead of
running Vista is at least twice that of running XP x64, IME. So figure the
effective minimum to run XP x64 is probably about 512 Mb of RAM. (Not the
official minimum, mind you.) Well, the effective minimum for Vista 64bit is
at least 1Gb of RAM. Disk space requirements for the OS itself are much
more, obviously, than XP.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes 06-25-2007 10:25 PM

Re: Need advice on Vista 64

Looks like a go from my point of view. Drivers should always be checked,
but I have found more available for Vista64 than XP64. Vista works nicely
but is a little bit of a resource hog, but your system should do okay. My
biggest complaint with Vista is that the resources are not allocated
properly between the cores and I have to set the affinity manually to get
the machine to operate smoothly. If not manually allocated, I get hangs.

mikeyhsd 06-25-2007 10:53 PM

Re: Need advice on Vista 64

for your type of operations its more the programs that will/will not work on vista as well as the drivers for the hardware you will need.

you will need to do some homework to make sure updated items are available for vista 64.

not even ms upgrade advisor runs on 64 bit

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?= 06-26-2007 01:17 AM

RE: Need advice on Vista 64

One thing to bear in mind is support for hardware profiling of your monitor.
If you are a photographer and using a colour managed workflow with a profiled
monitor, which puck do you use. Gretag-MacBeth (XRite) have been dragging
their heels over releasing 64-bit drivers for Vista - and unless you are
prepared to through a very elaborate routine, their software will not work.
If you have a Spyder 2, then you are in luck as this puck has the necessary
drivers and software to work.

If you are running Photoshop CS3, here is an interesting snippet from the
Adobe web site:-

From the Adobe web site
When you run Photoshop CS3 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a
Intel Xeon processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor) running
a 64-bit version of the operating system (Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
or Windows Vista 64-bit) and with 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3
GB for it's image data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can
use in the Let Photoshop Use number when you set the Let Photoshop Use slider
in the Performance preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by
Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly
by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM),
filters, or actions. If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB), then the RAM above
4 GB is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch
disk data. Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by
Photoshop is now cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard
disk by the operating system. If you are working with files large enough to
take advantage of these extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed
performance of Photoshop. Additionally, in Windows Vista 64-bit, processing
very large images is much faster if your computer has large amounts of RAM
(6-8 GB).

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?= 06-26-2007 07:47 AM

RE: Need advice on Vista 64

Update:

I wrote to Gretag-MacBeth support last night (yet again) asking them when
the drivers/updated software would be available and here is their response:

<i>Dear Carol
we expect a release by en of the month (soon) but we still have no official
info about finalisation.</i>

.......... which sounds a little more hopeful, although what they mean about
'finalisation' would be anybody's guess.